Trunk is easy off but not easy on--normal??? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
BThomas
Premium Member

Default Trunk is easy off but not easy on--normal???

Hello All,

I've had my 2012 XC for exactly 1 week. I ordered a trunk which, once I figured out the safety bolts, came off quite easily.

However, last night I tried to put it back on and I had to fight the thing for almost 10 minutes to get it to seat on both brackets so I could re-lock the quick release levers...

It's almost like the trunk is about 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch too long between the brackets because I couldn't get it to seat... Didn't expect this and am very disappointed as I'm almost afraid to take it off again since I don't ever want to go through that again.

Is this normal or do you think something's out of adjustment in reference to the brackets on the rear of my bike?

Thanks for any help you can give me....
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

It's easier with 2 people.
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Blueline

A little WD-40 on the docking mounts and firm downward pressure will do it. 10 minutes is still in the time frame of "easy". A few more times and it will be second nature to you.
116 Big Bore
"The Millinium Falcon"
Blueline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
BThomas
Premium Member

Alright... Thanks you guys--that gives me a little more confidence--should have thought about the WD40 thing...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
ndabunka

You just need to secure the two forward-most mounts FIRST. Then lean on the trunk a bit and it will POP right down into place. It seams that some try to put all four connecting points in at one time and that does not work well. The size of the trunk alone can make hitting those front two mounting points a bit difficult each time.

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Klockwerks Windshield, Garage Door Mod, Custom Ness Highway Pegs, Ness Thunderheader slip on's, PC-V
ndabunka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Hatchet

I just got a new trunk and never ever have a problem taking it off or putting it on. I just put the front brackets on the front docking first and then push down on trunk to seat it and then push down the quick release handles.

Traded in a 2009 Harley Electraglide Classic
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
BThomas
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
You just need to secure the two forward-most mounts FIRST. Then lean on the trunk a bit and it will POP right down into place. It seams that some try to put all four connecting points in at one time and that does not work well. The size of the trunk alone can make hitting those front two mounting points a bit difficult each time.
This is exactly what I did but it's like my gap between the two mounts is a little small... Maybe the plastic bushings on the rear mount need to compress a little? I've had my trunk on it less than 24hrs total (first night I brought it home). Going to leave it on for a few days, then see if it gets easier.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
BenD

Garage

I ended up pulling the mounting forks wider by hand to get the right gap and fit on the front mounts. And two people do make the job easier! :-)
2012 XC Tour, Sunset Red/Silver. Add-ons: +2" Chubby bars, heated Avon grips, chrome lid rails, Wolo air horn, pass. backrest, rider backrest, Stage1 upgrade, AZ Slammers pipes with Big Mouth tips, rear lowered 1", Az. Victory police saddlebag bars, Power Commander V, Lloydz IAV & Air filter.

Phoenix, AZ
BenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
NGArider

The rubber on the trunk mounts is a snug fit to keep it from rattling.

My first thought is that you maybe are afraid to push too hard on the trunk and don't get it seated all the way in the forward mounts before you try to seat the rear.

If that's not it I'd take of the side bags and see how the mounts are attached. Perhaps you have to loosen them and readjust.
KTM 950 Super Enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
See, this is what happens when a whole nation quits bitchslapping our kids. Stupid people do not even get the chance to learn the importance of keeping their mouths shut.
NGArider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Hatchet

Agree with ^^^^^^^. You have to push in and then down. I pick it up from the left side and then lay it in the front bracket closest to me then the other other front bracket.

Traded in a 2009 Harley Electraglide Classic
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement