Hammer cornering - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Hammer Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
XCR600

Default Hammer cornering

Been shopping for my next bike and ran across a sweet deal on a 2010 Hammer 8 Ball. Took it out for a test ride , really liked the power compared to the HD Deuce that I've been considering.

It's got Victory bags , windshield , touring seat , shot gun pipes , air cleaner and mapped , with only 2300mi on it.

The only thing that I didn't like was it seemed to need to be muscled in the curves. It was a pretty cool day and it was only about a 7 mi test ride but it seemed to me you really had muscle it to lean her to corner. Is this just what you get with that 250 on the rear , or does it come to you after a while ?

Test rode a Vegas & High Ball this summer and they both seemed easier to push thru corners with some throttle.
XCR600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
N8rfastback

You get used to it very quickly. Coming from a m109r to the vegas I hate not having the big rear tire, my vegas just feels really loose on the road compared to the old 250 tire I was on before.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Marius

I find most riders dont like the characteristics of the wide tire when it comes to handling. Some get use to it with seat time. Ive learned to appreciate the stability at highway speeds that this tire provides, but it wasnt love at first ride. Id say that if your riding style involves flinging the bike around a lot, then u might want to stay away. But for regular cruising and straightline drag runs its perfect.
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Dusty74

Garage

It's something you get used to. Like was mentioned before, if you are into flinging a bike around then this one isn't for you.

I came to a Jackpot from a Vulcan with a 130 rear tire. The first ride on the JP was weird but after a few miles, I was in love. Counter steering technics are your friend on these two machines but within no time at all you appreciate that big hunk of rubber behind you.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Cosmosgoat

Garage

I went from a CBR to a Hammer and don't really have much issue with cornering. Ive used that tire all the way to the edge and don't really notice a lot of effort to get it leaned over. That begin said it is very stable highway riding. It will definitely get easier for you over time.

2012 Hammer S 94 HP / 109 TQ (Sold) Dyno Graph
2006 Honda CBR600RR (Sold)
Cosmosgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
XCR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty74 View Post
It's something you get used to. Like was mentioned before, if you are into flinging a bike around then this one isn't for you.

I came to a Jackpot from a Vulcan with a 130 rear tire. The first ride on the JP was weird but after a few miles, I was in love. Counter steering technics are your friend on these two machines but within no time at all you appreciate that big hunk of rubber behind you.
I currently have a Vulcan with a 140 rear , and I guess I enjoy the nimbleness of that bike and after putting 10K on it it's what I'm use to. Maybe Ness fly bars give it a different feel as the position of the stock bars had me putting pressure on my palms , I think that added to the handling difference I felt.
XCR600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
visionjohnny

Could be simple the tires could be low on air if its been sitting for some time

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
toejam

My 06 Hammer had a 260 and I loved it!

2010 Midnight Cherry XC 116 Big Bore - Gone
2006 Hammer - Gone
toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
surly

Default Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR600 View Post
Been shopping for my next bike and ran across a sweet deal on a 2010 Hammer 8 Ball. Took it out for a test ride , really liked the power compared to the HD Deuce that I've been considering.

It's got Victory bags , windshield , touring seat , shot gun pipes , air cleaner and mapped , with only 2300mi on it.

The only thing that I didn't like was it seemed to need to be muscled in the curves. It was a pretty cool day and it was only about a 7 mi test ride but it seemed to me you really had muscle it to lean her to corner. Is this just what you get with that 250 on the rear , or does it come to you after a while ?

Test rode a Vegas & High Ball this summer and they both seemed easier to push thru corners with some throttle.
After a while you will not notice it and the bike handles well even with the fat tire the only problem I have found is ground clearance I changed the footpeg feelers for some shorter socket screws which helped a bit but as I like a bit of lean on corners I bought an old 2006 KTM duke 11 with 500 miles on the clock (like a new bike) for when i really want to be a dick buy the hammer you will love it i have had mine for over a year which is a record for me normally I change bikes about every 10 months as I get bored but after 15 months this bike just does it for me on every ride and wild as the old KTM is 4 times out of 5 its the Vic that gets pulled out of the garage
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
gary mcclanahan

Default Hammer cornering

I have 18,000 miles on my 08 Hammer. Every once in a while you forget about the wide tire and you find yourself drifting in the oncoming lane on a curve. It happens and it will scare the hell out of you. Its a bike you have to be focus 100% of the time.
gary mcclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement