Did folks here consider the HD Street Bob?? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
phatjoe

Default Did folks here consider the HD Street Bob??

Hello,

Both HD and Vic make great looking bikes. I’m torn between the street bob and the high ball. Did anyone here consider the street bob (or any dyna line bike) before purchasing your victory? What swayed you to Victory over the HD?

I perform my own service, and the only customization I’ll do is forward controls, exhaust… nothing wild. I tend to hold on to bikes for 1-2 years max. Just torn between these two bikes…

THANKS
phatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
CrossRoads
Administrator

Everybody will have 2 cents for this type of question. The answer for you is in the test ride. Ride them both, and your decision will be a lot easier.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
45caldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatjoe View Post
Hello,

Both HD and Vic make great looking bikes. I’m torn between the street bob and the high ball. Did anyone here consider the street bob (or any dyna line bike) before purchasing your victory? What swayed you to Victory over the HD?

I perform my own service, and the only customization I’ll do is forward controls, exhaust… nothing wild. I tend to hold on to bikes for 1-2 years max. Just torn between these two bikes…

THANKS
The Street Bob is cool looking.....
But I didn't want a Harley and the Street Bob is still a Harley (for better or for worse). I rode a few Harleys before I bought my Vic and I do NOT regret buying a Victory!
45caldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Shock Happens

I traded my Dyna for my Vic....
Ridin A 2011 Ness XC #117
Shock Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

If you only keep it for a couple of years and buy it new and the Street Bob is a 103ci then it won't matter. If it's a 96ci the Vic will smoke it every time.

If you were looking at keeping it longer; the Vic is the better buy since it is a proven reliable long-term machine.

Just be careful how you wash the wheels on the Street Bob. The wheel bearings can have problems if they get a little water in them and sometimes they just go out prematurely.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
If the Street Bob is a 103ci then it won't matter. If it's a 96ci the Vic will smoke it every time.
Yeah.... no.

The significance of that much of an advantage across the tach and 18 HP at peak cannot be denied. I have seen it in print several times that the HD 103 engine has better low end grunt than the Victory engine. I have always thought that was crap. Hopefully this will settle it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the HighBall when the Vegas 8-Ball is the same bike and so much cheaper (The only differences are wheels, paint, handlebars). You can easily pick up a leftover Vegas 8-Ball for 11.5K or less if you shop around.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...Ball-102956643

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...Ball-106651152

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...-Ball-99690241

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...-Ball-99452697

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...Ball-103444559

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...Ball-104349225

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...Ball-106038820

And for the price of a 1200 Sportster, this one with 3000 miles:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...egas-105508090

Want something a bit more sporty? How about a Hammer 8-Ball with 1400 miles for $12,900?
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...Ball-105335783

Already has a stage one with pipes...

You can ship a bike almost anywhere in the US for like $500-$600... I sold a bike and shipped it from Maryland to Seatle Washington for $500 and didn't even have to drain the fuel.
airbox, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt

Last edited by half_crazy; 11-01-2012 at 06:06 AM.
half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Kuchera89

i like the fat bob more, its closer to the highball msrp too. where the street bob is right close to the vegas 8ball price.

If you really want the HighBall look, its cheapest to just buy the HB, if you hadn't stated that you plan to leave it relatively stock, i would agree with Half crazy and say to get a vegas 8-ball and do your own customizing, might cost alittle more in the long run but it would be custom. (your not going to put paint, wheels and bars on for under $2k unless you do all the work yourself and find a hell of a deal on the wheels and thats still pretty tough)

i'd guess and say cost of ownership would probably be the same over over a 2 year span. ride'em both and see what you like.
stage 1, touring setup to come soon...nm bought a XC.
2013 Sunset red and black XC
Kuchera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
BanditSRT8

Between a Vic cruiser and any HD Dyna, I'd always pick the Vic.

The Dynas are nice, but the vibration is something that I could never get past. I have ridden all major HD models and the only one I ever liked is the Road Glide Custom that I currently own. Totally different bike from the rest. The vibration on a Dyna is unnecessary and annoying as hell. I'm also not a fan of the ergos or handling.

The Highball is simply badass, and when I am ready to buy another cruiser, that's what I am buying. I needed a bagger this time around, but the next cruiser will once again be a Vic in my garage.

If they could make a Dyna as smooth as my RGC though.....
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Marius

If the fatbob had not had an HD emblem on it I would have bought it instead of my Hammer. The fat bob is just soooo comfortable for a cruiser... I really liked it, but I can't get into the HD thing and the Hammer is just a better looking bike. Now I just have more modding to do to get comfy on it....
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Pckrfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Everybody will have 2 cents for this type of question. The answer for you is in the test ride. Ride them both, and your decision will be a lot easier.
Ditto... What he said..... I considered the Street Glide test rode it and didn't like the vibration when slowing down to a stop. I know it's the way the HD motor is, but after riding a Vic for four years, I couldn't fathom putting up with it. It's a nice bike but with smaller bags, a 4 grand difference, I decided to "settle" for the XC AG. Settle... Get it?
XC/XR heated tour seat & bag bars
Ness derby covers & Rad III mirrors
Avon heated grips, air horn and lotsa blacked out stuff. (Green Goblin artwork by Bad Boy Designs in Peoria AZ)

Artificial intelligence is absolutely 100% NO match for natural stupidity!
Pckrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement