metric cruiser? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
putput

Default metric cruiser?

Well my situation has changed so I have been looking at different bikes.
I would love to have an XR but I do not see that happening. Kids are starting college and funds are limited so I have started entertaining looking at some metric bikes. Anyone have some good experiences before you upgraded? I had originally stumbled onto this site while looking at V92's last spring. I still watch for 92's and KP's in my price range but have started to see some nice looking metrics with extra's that are priced right. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information I have gleaned off here. Appreciate the attitude on here towards other manufacture's. I would commute some, occasional passenger if we can find the time.
putput is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
ALStensby

Well...two things to start with here:

A) Location (this time of year, it can really affect prices)
B) Price range

Can't be of a ton of help without at the very least the second one. Flying blind, if you like the XR, look at the Kawasaki Nomad. Great bagger and you can find them going back in to the 90's for good prices. They're well built, do everything well and really nothing bad. Just don't expect them to excel at anything. lol
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
TNXR

It is according to what kind of Metric you are looking for. I got my new XR back in Sept. for much less than an equal sized yamaha or kawasaki. If your limited on funds then a 750 to 900 metric cruiser may meet your needs. I have a Suzuki M50 800cc that I bought 4 years ago to learn on and it is one hell of a bike. Plenty of power for 2-up riding or a short tour and good enough for a lone rider to take week long trips at interstate speeds (have done so many times). You may want to look at a good used Suzuki C50 or C90 or a Kawi 900, all great bikes and super dependable. I am actually going to be selling my M50 when spring comes because I just don't have time to ride 2 bikes and since I got my XR the M50 has been sitting lonesome in the corner of the garage.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
putput

Thanks for the responses. 6 grand or under on the price range so used only. Midwest is location. Boulevard's may be considered. VTX? Warrior? I was not thinking under 900cc maybe I should.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
jdivey

I had a VTX 1300 R. Great bike, I loved it but it wasn't the bagger that I really wanted.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Marius

Japanese metrics are pretty solid in terms of reliability, so I think it's just a matter of finding what fits you best. If youre a short guy, you might like Hondas. I'm 6ft and the only honda that felt right was their biggest 1800. There's a lot of really nice stuff out there. Just depends on your size and your needs (highway vs backroads, solo vs 2up).

I am particularly fond of the smaller cruiser segment (700-950)due to the fact that I live in the city. I like the agility, comfort and peppyness those bikes provide on my relatively short rides(typical 10 miles each way).

If you give us your typical riding distance, your size and weight, requirements for comfort. and whether you need storage or not, I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions.
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
ALStensby

Honestly, being from the Midwest and looking to spend under $6K, there's a LOT available to you for a good price...especially if you're more northern in the MW like I am! Get out and toss your leg over a bunch. Up here in MN there's actually '99 V92 for $5K.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...388320541.html

Or this one:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...296776653.html

You really won't go wrong with any bike in that price range. You'll be in the late 90s to mid 2000s. You can easily find one with lower miles. I'd say stay in about the 800ccs and up. In '06, Kawi made the 900 and you can find '06/07s for $3-4K and they're very solid little bikes. Great for commuting, larger build. Not the greatest for two up but most bikes in that range won't. Not for lack of power really, but more for braking and handling with the added weight. My wife has one and she keeps up just fine, including long trips over the slab.
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
putput

6'1" 34" inseam. commute is 20 miles of straight hway each way.
180 lbs. I am a little concerned with a seat height that is too low.
Sat on a Dyna and it hurt my hip, may have been the forward controls. Road King, KP and XR all good. I would be riding with a group of Harley riders and their passengers on occasion. No need to show them up, just keep up. Passenger is 5'8" 150ish. Giant storage not mandatory. I will make due with what I have and worry about that when I upgrade.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
djwasy

I had a 07 Kaw 900 classic LT that was not to bad. Just wanted a little more power and a 6 speed. It was a large bike for being a 900.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0161.jpg (50.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0162.jpg (44.4 KB, 18 views)
djwasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
jdivey

I was also looking for that 6th gear. Tell all my friends that I finally found it and it only cost me 20 grand.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement