oil consumption???? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
gary mcclanahan

Default oil consumption????

I have a 2008 Hammer, I cked the oil level today and for a first, it was a little low, it came to the bottom line of the 2 that you use. The bike has 18.000 miles on it. Is this normal to use a little oil?
gary mcclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary mcclanahan View Post
I have a 2008 Hammer, I cked the oil level today and for a first, it was a little low, it came to the bottom line of the 2 that you use. The bike has 18.000 miles on it. Is this normal to use a little oil?
If it's the first time you checked it, how do you know if it just wasn't filled too low to begin with?

My XR has 12k miles and I haven't noticed any oil use.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
gary mcclanahan

Default oil consumption???

I bought the bike new and I have changed the oil myself every time. Believe me I take a careful measurment of how much oil I put in the bike. The only oil change I didnt do was the first 500 miles. I always check it several times between changes. It was slightly low ths time?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary mcclanahan View Post
I bought the bike new and I have changed the oil myself every time. Believe me I take a careful measurment of how much oil I put in the bike. The only oil change I didnt do was the first 500 miles. I always check it several times between changes. It was slightly low ths time?
Sounds like I've got 6k more miles left before I need to start adding oil.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Did you check oil first thing before going for a ride or starting the motor or at some other point in the day? The reason I ask is because it can take up to 30 minutes for all the oil to drain back down into the sump where we get the readings from after the motor has been run.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Got a V92 that barely moves off the mark btwn oil changes at 4K, just for info, not oil debate, using Vic 20-40.. I have put 19K on it, has 39K total. I run the piss out of it!

3K on the Vision, hasn't move a bit since I changed the breakin oil out.
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
gary mcclanahan

I cked it before the ride, the motor was cold.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

I haven't looked in a while, but I know mine has well over 65K miles on it. It has never used a drop of oil.

If it's suddenly drinking oil, the only thing I can think of is a head gasket.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
I haven't looked in a while, but I know mine has well over 65K miles on it. It has never used a drop of oil.
and we know how you baby your bike half_crazy
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
and we know how you baby your bike half_crazy
Yeah, I ride like a girl.

A couple of years ago it started smoking out one pipe and drank 1/2 a quart of oil in 12 miles... head gasket was blown. That was when the engine and trans got completely rebuilt since it had almost 50K miles on it and had to come out of the frame anyway. In reality the new engine only has close to 20K miles... but none of the three engine configurations ever used any oil (stock, 104" big bore, or 110" stroker). These motors are tight on the oil retention thing.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement