Evaporative Canister, what does it do? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
fed4life

Default Evaporative Canister, what does it do?

I have a new to me 2005 Victory Vegas with 11,600 miles on it and i have a question about the evaporative canister which i guess is only only on California models. I did a search on here but couldnt find the answer i was looking for so here it goes:

What does it do?

and

Can you remove it without affecting the bikes performance? i.e. will it run different without it cause its tuned differently for California?

Im assuming removing it makes it "not emmissions legal" in California?

Last question:

For anybody that does have one on their bikes, is their a company that makes a chrome one? or has anybody had one painted or powder coated?
fed4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
gibson
Lifetime Premium

An evaporative canister is part of the evaporative system that is within the emission system. Hydrocarbons are a form of pollution that gasoline releases as it evaporates or after is is burned. While fuel is stored inside the tank, fumes build up and are retained inside this canister. The canister contains charcoal that absorbs the hydrocarbons. When the engine is started, a valve opens that allows fresh air to come in and purge the fumes (hydrocarbons) into the air intake and then into the combustion chamber for burning. I understand that more hydrocarbons are released into the atmosphere by leaving your fuel cap off, than what comes out of your tailpipe while the engine runs. If there is a leak anywhere in the evaporative system, such as a bad hose, canister leak or leaving the fuel cap loose, the check engine light will set. This being said the ECU would have to be reprogrammed I am guessing. You have a California model bike. If you have emissions check to get plates removing this will not let you pass.

Last edited by gibson; 12-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.
gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
fed4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson View Post
This being said the ECU would have to be reprogrammed I am guessing. You have a California model bike. If you have emissions check to get plates removing this will not let you pass.
I kinda figured that. Get plates removing? Please forgive my ignorance.

Can you get this chromed or can you buy a chrome one? Like most emmissions stuff here in CA if you touch it your likely to have the California EPA nazi's parchuting down to my house to ticket me!!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
gibson
Lifetime Premium

Attachment 9042 if number 6 is made out of metal you could chrome it. 12 is the filter which I would not mess with. I do not have one, but on 4 wheelers they are made of plastic..

Last edited by gibson; 08-02-2013 at 04:17 AM.
gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
06vitory

Mine sits on a shelf in the garage.
06vitory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
BenD

Garage

[QUOTE=fed4life;114235]I kinda figured that. Get plates removing? Please forgive my ignorance.

"If you have emissions check to get plates removing this will not let you pass."

In other words, if renewing your plate requires you to have an emissions test, then removing it (the canister) will do you no good.
2012 XC Tour, Sunset Red/Silver. Add-ons: +2" Chubby bars, heated Avon grips, chrome lid rails, Wolo air horn, pass. backrest, rider backrest, Flow Tech glasspacks with Big Mouth tips, rear lowered 1", Az. Victory police saddlebag bars, Power Commander V, Lloydz IAV & Air filter.

Phoenix, AZ
BenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
06vitory

The emmission equment must be present when bike is sold new. At this present time no testing is required for licensing on motorcycles. But if you take your bike to a shop for a tune up you may have a problem getting them to work on your bike. They can get in trouble by the state if bike doesn't have all equment. If you remove it keep it on hand there may be a time where you may need to put it back on.
06vitory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed4life View Post
What does it do?
Takes room and made some politician's dream come true.

Quote:
Can you remove it without affecting the bikes performance? i.e. will it run different without it cause its tuned differently for California?
Yes, you can remove it. Removed mine when the bike was brand new. It's not a performance part so it won't reduce your performance. It will reduce the bike's weight (by very little) and at least in theory it will increase performance.

Quote:
Im assuming removing it makes it "not emmissions legal" in California?
There's no emissions check to pass.

Quote:
For anybody that does have one on their bikes, is their a company that makes a chrome one? or has anybody had one painted or powder coated?
Nope. Everybody tries to take that ugly thing off, not draw more attention to it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
fed4life

So i unbloted the canister, so what do you do with the hoses that are attached to it? Do i just cut them to proper length so there facing down towards the ground or?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Pop

Garage

OK, granted I grew up in the sixties and seventies and granted there is a residual effect that I carry with me always.

Thing is, is it just me or is answering questions about defeating smog cans posted by a cat calling himself fed4life a tad on the ironic side?

Just saying.

Where I lead me I will travel
Where I need me I will call me
I'm no fool I'll be ready
God knows I will be
And in the meantime make a little money
And buy a little mercy

That was written by Townes Van Zandt
Pop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement