custom pipes - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
shortcircuit911

Default custom pipes

So I've been shopping around for some custom pipes, and haven't seen pipes I really have to have. I saw some pics of the arlen ness sling shots on some of the older bikes and they look pretty bad ass. The problem is that my bike is an 11, so I can't get them. I like the hacker zoomies and have heard good things about them, but I don't want to pay that kind of money for pipes. So that only leaves me with one option, make my own. I started out by getting some flanges from rpw which should be here next week. I also went ahead and ordered some baffles from witchdoctor.com which should also be here next week. I haven't ordered a fuel controller yet, because I'm still debating on which brand to go with, so that will probably be the last thing I buy. I've been searching the site for people that have done this before, but haven't had much luck finding threads on this. I'm a huge fan of west coast choppers bikes, so I think I want to go with a swept pipe. Jesse James really nailed that look on a lot of his bikes, and I would like to make something like that for my bike, but different than the swept pipes available for the vegas. I was thinking of posting pics and info as I make progress. Any interest in that? I also want to say that I'm no professional, and have never made a set of pipes before. I'm just a guy with a welder and access to a band saw and belt sander. I plan on getting all the pipe bent at a muffler shop and going from there. Hopefully I can get this done pretty soon, and not damage my bike in the process.
shortcircuit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
shortcircuit911

Oh yeah, any tips/advice is surely welcomed.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcircuit911 View Post
Oh yeah, any tips/advice is surely welcomed.
Please add your bike's year/model to your signature. Here's how: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3511 - that way we don't have to always ask "for what bike?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2015 Chieftain
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
shortcircuit911

Just added it.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcircuit911 View Post
Just added it.
Looking good.

There was a recent thread on the hacker zoomies, which should be a good read for you: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=12102. By the way, how much are they?

This might not make your decision easier, but keep in mind that some pipes will not only cost you money, but also horsepower and/or torque as well. As a rule of thumb, the best looking pipes are usually the worst performing ones.
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2015 Chieftain
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
shortcircuit911

Thanks! That thread did help a bit. I believe the zoomies are $750. If you throw in the AMS tuner you're looking at $900. I tried to get hacker to sell me their baffles, but they said that they're formed into the pipe or something. Basically they didn't want to sell me a set. So I went to witchdoctor and got their conical shaped baffles. That really sucks that some of the cool looking pipes actually decrease power. Hopefully I can make a set that look cool and don't loose too much power. If it is a noticeable different in power loss, then maybe I'll break down and buy some zoomies. For that kind of money I figured I could buy all the parts and a used bandsaw and make them myself. Like I said I have no experience making motorcycle exhaust systems, so hopefully I don't make something that will hurt my motor.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
MidnightGravy
Premium Member

From some of the threads I've been reading on here in relation to exhaust, I don't think it's as simple as just changing the exhaust. I'm also looking at buying the Hacker Zoomies exhaust with the AMS, but I've also been told I need to increase my air flow by adding an aftermarket air cleaner, like S&S. There is a thread on here somewhere of a guy who drilled out his factory exhaust to make it sound better, but I don't think he was too pleased with the results.
MidnightGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
shortcircuit911

I too have heard of people adding air filters along with the exhaust. My bike has a K&N already, and I will probably do a vented air box lid as well. I eventually would like to get an S&S system because of the performance gain and because it looks bad ass. I think I read that thread about the guy who drilled out his exhaust. I don't want to do anything I can't undo. Like I said I want to give making the exhaust a shot. If I can't get it to run right with the new pipes and fuel controller, then I'll just buy a set. I checked the mail today and saw that my exhaust flanges arrived today. The flange consists of two identical pieces that fit together. The flange is about 9mm thick (I haven't checked it with the calipers yet) and they come chromed. I emailed witchdoctor today about my order, but they haven't got back to me yet. They were down to one baffle when I placed my order (for 2), so hopefully they ship soon. I'm very tempted to take my pipes off now and start planning my bends, but I might wait another week or so.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
vic 8

Sounds like this will be interesting. Keep us posted with pics,and good luck!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
shortcircuit911

Thanks Vic! I checked the mail today and saw that my baffles came in. It looks like I have just about everything I need (besides the tubing) to get started. I plan on starting with the header pipe and getting the first bend where I want it. I was thinking of getting some pvc pipe and pvc elbows and making a mock up of the rest of the bends. I saw a series of really informative videos on youtube found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9knDsi-td8

In the series they show you how to make a mock up of your pipes with pvc, then they show you how to make a jig so you can make your pipes with steel tubing. The next step for me is to figure out what size tubing i can use and start sourcing places to buy it. It looks like the stock pipes are 2", but I'm not sure. I really want to take my pipes off now to get going, but I want to keep them off until the exhaust is done. The only problem with that is that the easy rider show is on jan 11th, so I may wait a bit to get started. But, I suppose I could just pull the stock pipes to get started and put them back on so I can ride to the show. Who knows. Below is a picture of the baffles in case anybody is interested. There isn't a whole lot to them. I may consider making my own in the future.

Last edited by shortcircuit911; 12-22-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement