Saved myself some embarrassment - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
CrossRoader
Premium Member

Default Saved myself some embarrassment

I have had my new CR about a month and noticed a tapping sound from the front of engine which was quite loud and disturbing. The tapping only came on when the bike was in motion and could be heard at moderate speeds until it was drowned out by the wind/pipes noise at high speeds.

I am particularly sensitive about engine noises as the main reason I got rid of my Triumph Thunderbird was that it had a consistent rattle or tapping from the cam chain which was not resolved despite two cam chain tensioner replacements and a complete cam rebuild.

I was talking to the dealer about some confusion about the Victory 3 year warranty offered on new bikes (total confusion with the dealer and Victory contradicting each other on several issues) and mentioned it to the Sales Manager. I got the standard response "All bikes including Victories make strange noises - don't worry about it.
Anyway the tapping was really bugging me so I decided I wasn't satisfied with the dealers response and planned to ride in on Friday and have them road test the bike.

This afternoon I took the bike out to try to narrow down the potential areas that the noise was coming from. I was riding along with my head down near the tank listening and feeling around with my left hand when I discovered ............the mysterious tapping sound was caused by my leather key fob slapping against the %&*@$$%! cheese wedge! I removed the key fob and low and behold the tapping disappeared.

I am very glad I didn't ride 90 miles to the dealer and make an idiot of myself by complaining about my unacceptably noisy new CR.

Now I have to solve the issue of a naked key. It somehow looks easier to loose without a fob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
NJ8BALL

Garage

Been there. But didn't do that. I was freaking out one day till I figured it out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

http://www.bluebeardimagery.com/
http://blue-beard-imagery.artistwebsites.com/
Photo equip: Canon 60D, Canon 55-250is, Canon 18-55, Canon 70-200f4,Tamron SP10-24
NJ8BALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Bob C350

LOL.. I got me a nice new key chain 6-8 months after I got my XC. It was a little bigger than the dealer tag.

The damn thing would just touch my leg and scare the crap out of me. I thought for sure some big bug was getting me.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C350 View Post
LOL.. I got me a nice new key chain 6-8 months after I got my XC. It was a little bigger than the dealer tag.

The damn thing would just touch my leg and scare the crap out of me. I thought for sure some big bug was getting me.
LOL! That's comedy!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
ChuglyXJ

I did the same thing, only it was when I added the lower lock kit to my XCT. That key rattled with the other key and fob on the key ring. I solved it by getting a split ring so while the key is in the ignition it is naked and I keep the other half with the other keys and fob in the trunk. When I stop I stick my helmet in the trunk, join the two rings and stick them in my pocket. It worked for me and solved the noise. For about 100 miles I thought I had done something bad to the bike. My last bike had a cam tensioner fail and it sounded the exact same way.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
ALStensby

ha ha! I don't like things on my keys since they can hit body parts and rub the finish off. I just removed my key all together using an RFID system.
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
sixshooter_45

Garage
Wink Maxpedition Key Keeper!

I use the Maxpedition Key Keeper and have never lost a key, they are built well and you can have several rings with different keys such as one for the ignition and others for house key, compartment locks etc.

On my main key I use a larger square paracord and a nice looking, larger than the smaller looking, skulls with a rose held in it's teeth, looks cool to me anyways!

Blue Thunder Garage!

Color: Boardwalk Blue; list of accessories.
sixshooter_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement