Resale value - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
8BallHammer

Garage
Default Resale value

I tell guys that , HD riders are concerned with resale because their riders don't keep those POS's. VICTORY builds bikes that people want to keep
Big City Thunder Thunder Monsters
Controls 2" forward
Blacked out turn signals
De-badged

2013 AF Green CC
Mostly stock

If they had an ass, they would be pants
8BallHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Tarzan
Lifetime Premium

Victory resale doesn't come close to Harley. Unfortunately, owning a Victory Motorcycle is a commitment. It's a very bad idea buying one as an investment. Or even thinking it will hold value. Just look at resale value on Victory's less than two years old. There are several 2012 and 2013's for thousands less than what people paid. I have been looking the last few months at CC's and Vision's. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost when I know they will be worth a fraction of that a couple years down the line. Take my Kingpin for example. I paid $11500 about 4 years ago. It's worth between $5000 and $6500 now. Not very good value is it?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
TNXR

Just about all of my friends and most of my family ride HD's and for the most part none of them have any major problems out of them. You might not like it but HDs for time being, are holding their value better than any other bike and probaby will for many years down the road. Buying a Vic is like buying a Jap cruiser because the drop in value at about the same pace.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
Take my Kingpin for example. I paid $11500 about 4 years ago. It's worth between $5000 and $6500 now. Not very good value is it?
Depends on whether you're a buyer or a seller.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNXR View Post
Just about all of my friends and most of my family ride HD's and for the most part none of them have any major problems out of them. You might not like it but HDs for time being, are holding their value better than any other bike and probaby will for many years down the road. Buying a Vic is like buying a Jap cruiser because the drop in value at about the same pace.
I wonder where people get their ideas about resale. Take a look on Ebay and see what the Harleys that have sold fetched. It's not uncommon to see a bike that's had about $30k invested in it go for half a couple years and a couple thousand miles later.

Just because people ask a lot for them, doesn't mean they are actually selling them at those prices.

Here's one of the few Ebay's sold lately. Price is $18,900 new without security or tax. A year and 6k miles later it's going for $10,158 (before ebay/paypal fees).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...#ht_500wt_1039

Unless you collect antiques, motorcycles ain't great financial investments.

Last edited by saddlebag; 12-22-2012 at 05:26 AM.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
gibson
Lifetime Premium

I use to own HD, lucky on the last one I able to UNLOADED it. Since the 2003 (100 year) model HD ramped up production and flooded the market. Back in 2000 when I bought my first HD there was raffle going on for bikes. 18 guys would fight over 1 bike. What ever color came in that dealership you were stuck with it. Now you can go into any HD dealer and see tons of bikes. They have storage buildings out back with bikes in the crates. Any color or bike you want. In 2000 there was no dealing at all with the price. You agreed in advanced what the price would be. They charged you for every thing, including set up. The first service was over $500 dollars. You still can not go in and TRADE your bike. AS you said YOU ARE STUCK WITH YOUR HARLEY DAVIDSON. If you can find someone to buy it at your ridiculous price it would be amazing. HD flooded the market. They have women buying them now. Women was on back , now they ride their own. So as you said HD did just like the JAPS over built and it is biting them in the ass.
gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
RP01

Look at it like this. The fact that Victory's don't have a high resale value can be a good thing. You can buy a used Victory which is just as good as a new one for a fraction of the price and you still have a bike that can hold its own or surpass anything else on the market. I bought a very low mileage and mint 2007 Kingpin in 2010. The bike was sold new in May of 2008. I got it for a great price and I plan to keep it for a long time. Because of the bargain I got I have a beautiful motorcycle at far less than I could buy anything else comparable for new. To me, thats a great investment.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
GatorJoe
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Didn't buy my XC for an investment or too concerned about resale value wanted a Touring Model can ride for 100K without worrying .. 100K for me is about 4 years, 5 at the very most ..
Old 12-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

An affordable / reliable tour was what I was looking for when I bought my TC. Did not have the bells and whistles but did have a great appearance, great sound, ride and riders reviews said LITTLE to NO maintenance other than servicing. I looked at resell value and did take that into consideration only as far as making my offer and deciding how much money I would invest in it before deciding it was a keeper. I could sell it now (With the CB) for more than I paid for it.

I think once you start accessorizing or personalizing the thoughts of resale value could be shot. IF I had paid full or sale price for my Vision, I would be absorbing a loss on a turn around sale I am sure but, just like when Bandit bought his HD, I got a price for a bike I wanted that was too good to pass up. So, the resale value on it is solid... Well as long as I don't go crazy accessorizing it... lol... My thoughts on HD riders concerned with resale is that they jump head first into a bike they may NOT be sure they want to keep. Therefore, they have to be concerned with it for trade up (sportster) or trade in (gadget upgrade).

Safe riddin all!!!
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Azdave

I bought an 06 Vrod for $8,000 a few years ago. Guy wanted it out of his garage. Had it for a year and sold it for $11,000. Bought an 06 Jackpot with lots of extras on it with the intention of riding it for a long time. I figure a health club membership is a $1,000 a year, if you went to therapy it would be much more so some depreciation on something that is fun, makes you feel great is well worth it no matter what the depreciation is

I do feel bad for someone that HAS to sell due to financial issues though
2006 Jackpot sold
2006 Vrod Screaming Eagle (sold)
1972 Kawasaki 1000
Azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement