12" Ness Modular drag bars on Vegas - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
HoodsBackVegas

Default 12" Ness Modular drag bars on Vegas

Ok so Christmas has just past and guess what, yep your right I got Ness Modular Bars under the tree this year from my daughter..So this weekend Im gonna start tearing down stock bars, but before i do im wondering I know the bars are drilled and slotted for internal wiring..what i plan on doing to clean things up, but my concern is, please don't laugh but can i put my cables through also??? Should I just do the electronics?? I have all stock controls not sure if that is a deciding factor.. Please any help or in put greatly appreciated..Some of you on here have endless knowledge of these bikes....if it can be done is there a section in here where i can read to inform myself what i might be getting into.. I been using search but not finding much unless im wording it wrong.. Again THANKS in advance for all help..
2009 Vegas,Stage 1 Flash, Bassani Pro Street Turn Outs,Arlen Ness 12" Modular Bars,Arlen Ness Smooth Fusion Grips,Victory HID,Side Mount Custom Plate Bracket and Frame,Arlen Ness 2" Rear Speeding Bullets,1.5'' lowering links...

Cherry/pearl white.

Chicopee Ma. 01020
HoodsBackVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
gibson
Lifetime Premium

I looked through all the Vegas gallery and did not see a one with internal wiring or cables. When you have a cable it has to have perfect flow with no bends or kinks for it to work right. The clutch is wire cable not hydraulic. So the electric if you wanted to cut and splice could be ran though the bars. (clutch switch, horn,high low beam,on left side, kill, start, hazard on right), I would highly recommend if you go this way that you solder them back together. In my electrical experience a butt joint will corrode over time and you will have a heck of time trouble shooting the problems that will come up in the future. You will forget about it and it will drive you nuts trying to locate why the headlight did not turn on.. .
gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
HoodsBackVegas

(Gibson) Are all the connections inside the headlight bucket? If so could i make notes and take pictures of where the pins are located in the hardshell and disconnect pins from hardshell there and run wires that way ? i agree completely with soldering, would just like to stay away from that if at all possible...i was reading in a post that they connect in headlight bucket and was just wondering if thats an option with my year? make sense or as we say at work am I "pissing up a rope" hahaha
2009 Vegas,Stage 1 Flash, Bassani Pro Street Turn Outs,Arlen Ness 12" Modular Bars,Arlen Ness Smooth Fusion Grips,Victory HID,Side Mount Custom Plate Bracket and Frame,Arlen Ness 2" Rear Speeding Bullets,1.5'' lowering links...

Cherry/pearl white.

Chicopee Ma. 01020
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
gibson
Lifetime Premium

wiring harness, pins would have to be pushed out, which by the way takes a special tool to remove and re-insert back into the connector. If you took your time and made sure you wrote down the pin number location in the connector before you push them out. If you go this way make sure to use electrical lube spray to help the process of the pin coming out. Sometimes over time they heat up and melt into location. Be careful not to bend the pin or you will have to replace them. And by the way it takes a special crimper tool to recrimp the pin back on the wire. The crimp has to be uniform to be able to push the pin back with the tool in square in the the connector. This is a good project, but if you have confidence and the right tools to do the job it can be done rather easily. From Victories stand point it is not cost effective to do it this way if you have a switch or wire go bad. So if you tackle the project take some before and during pictures for us and yourself.. For future reference..
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
HoodsBackVegas

(Gibson) ok, good to know.. i have access to the correct tools i believe, i work for a large ford dealer and one of my good friends is addicted to tools to say the least..hahaha i know they are two different beast but same principle..I think your right tho about soldering, i think that will be the route i go.. Also you recomend leaving the cables out?? Do they sell chrome cable loom or chrome cables ? maybe to dress it up?

Cherry/pearl white.

Chicopee Ma. 01020
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
HoodsBackVegas

Also am I correct that the connections are up in the headlight bucket? Sorry i just want to get all my ducks in a row..

Cherry/pearl white.

Chicopee Ma. 01020
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
gibson
Lifetime Premium

The manual on a 2012 shows it goes to the headlight bucket. I have had mine apart to add the temperature to my speedo package, not a lot of room. The light comes apart with allen wrench which is a little tricky. all the wires are in a kind of shrink wrap wire loom. Not extra material to play with. Good luck off to find a broken down Ford escape to bring back to the shop..
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
HoodsBackVegas

Thanks for your input im gonna dig around a little more, i have the HID i will do at the same time..Had to throw the broken down ford dig...Thanks again brother for all your help.. have fun with your escape

Cherry/pearl white.

Chicopee Ma. 01020
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
jaysonL

Any progress on this ? I'm curious of how they will look.
Kingpin tour tins
jaysonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
HoodsBackVegas

Not yet, we been getting snow past couple days.. So as soon as I get a break I'm gonna get out to the shed and uncover her and start.. As soon as I do I'm gonna take and post pics of progress... Can't wait to see myself..

Cherry/pearl white.

Chicopee Ma. 01020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement