PIAA Lights for my XC - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
retpd2001

Default PIAA Lights for my XC

Wanted to have PIAA lights installed on my 13 XC (the dealer is offering $$ off since I bought from him). He says they make a kit for the Vision, but not the XC, but if I bought it myself, he would install it (same with a Stebal horn). Any suggestions on which lights and kit (and horn) to get? I am not stuck on PIAA if others have a better choice, want lights that help me be seen). Thanks in advance.
1972 Suzuki 750 water cooled
1973 Norton 850 Commando
1976 ish Yamaha 750 Virago
1999 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster
1995 Harley Davidson Super Glide
2007 Honda ST 1300
(all of the above sold, unfortunately)
2013 Victory XC Blacked Out Red
...and a couple old airplanes in there too.
Owner, www.RVairspace.com
retpd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
mikiep

I went with the motolights for my XCT. Very bright with free replacement bulbs.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
CrossRoads
Administrator

In my humble and somewhat biased opinion, for less than what would you pay for the PIAA bulbs, you can get a plug-and-play HID kit, with lifetime warranty, and twice the brightness of the PIAAs (3x the brightness of OEM halogens), less electrical draw, and less heat output - see this thread for more: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=14017.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Ahoutzer

CrossRoads is right. My 2012 XCT came with HID low beam headlight. I have added other lights to the front (KuryAkyn Silver Bullets with 35 watt halogen bulbs, and also tried LED bulbs). The extra lights do not add any noticeable light on the road. The HID headlight overpowers them. However, adding lights does make the bike more noticed in the daytime, IMHO, just because there are several sources of light. So, consider your goals.

Last edited by Ahoutzer; 01-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Ahoutzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
joarzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by retpd2001 View Post
Wanted to have PIAA lights installed on my 13 XC (the dealer is offering $$ off since I bought from him). He says they make a kit for the Vision, but not the XC, but if I bought it myself, he would install it (same with a Stebal horn). Any suggestions on which lights and kit (and horn) to get? I am not stuck on PIAA if others have a better choice, want lights that help me be seen). Thanks in advance.
are you talking about your main lights? or installing an extra pair like driving or fog lights?

2010 Kingpin
joarzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
RedRocker
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Here's a photo of CR's HID low beam and Clearwater LED's. Best combo in my opinion for day and night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VICHIDkit.jpg (35.0 KB, 35 views)

2014 Sonic Blue/Silver XCT
Lloydz VM1-DR Cams/ATS/Air Filter/.25 Turn/PCV/Vic BlkTip Tri-Ovals/Tuned by KMC Powersports: 111/112 CR's H/L HID Kit/Glenda LED's/Hyperlites/Stebel Air Horn/Vic Black Billet Floorboards/Primary&Cam Cover

2011 XC-Traded
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
retpd2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by joarzero View Post
are you talking about your main lights? or installing an extra pair like driving or fog lights?
Looking for extra lights to be seen and more visible to others during the day. The stock lights are very bright as you know, just want more of them up front to be seen. Thanks for the answers so far.
1972 Suzuki 750 water cooled
1973 Norton 850 Commando
1976 ish Yamaha 750 Virago
1999 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster
1995 Harley Davidson Super Glide
2007 Honda ST 1300
(all of the above sold, unfortunately)
2013 Victory XC Blacked Out Red
...and a couple old airplanes in there too.
Owner, www.RVairspace.com
retpd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Lostintexas

I know a lot of folks think the HID is the bomb. BUT some of us don't play well with them. The factory HID is way too cool for my eyes. If there were a cost effective solution to making them standard I would.
All the extra lighting in LED, HID, etc., is too cool for me and some others. Our cars have HID that are white, how come no one can make one for a MC? They are all too blue and soft.
I have talked with Crossroads via email, and I think he is a stand up guy. He answered questions no one else could or would. I'm still in the same spot though. I just don't think I should have to "experiment" with the light colors and HOPE that one of them works.
Oh well, momma won't let me ride at night for now, hit one deer and no since of humor, who woulda thunk.
Good luck on your search.
Lostintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
joarzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by retpd2001 View Post
Looking for extra lights to be seen and more visible to others during the day. The stock lights are very bright as you know, just want more of them up front to be seen. Thanks for the answers so far.
well then the PIAAs are good but their bulbs are overrated and overpriced!! their hardware is very good quality! I have the PIAA 005 with KewlMetal mounts but mine is a Kingpin, and I replaced the original PIAA bulbs with Narva's this things are just awesome, the ones that I got are the Range Power 50+, I've tried many different bulbs and this are by far the best of the best, it's halogen but I use them like that because I have Hi/Lo HIDs and I like to have 2 different kinds of light because in my opinion not all lights, colors and temperatures perform the same in different weather/lighting conditions, another good thing about the 005 PIAAs is that they are very versatile, they have many options (with or without mounts) and they come with relay, fuse, cable, etc and all is good quality

2010 Kingpin
joarzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
wspollack

Well, the first thing we have to know -- and you have to ask yourself, if you haven't already -- is: why do you want the lights?

[Edit: strike that. You already said, "want lights that help me be seen," which somehow I missed, in the first reading. Sorry.]

- If you're doing a lot of night riding, doing an Iron Butt run, etc., then you want driving lights, to see well down the road, at speed. PIAA and Hela have excellent driving lights.

- Another down-the-road option is CrossRoads' HID kit, which has gotten great reviews. (I'm disappointed in Victory for dropping the low-beam HID on the '13 XCs.)

- If you want conspicuity (and I fall into this category, and ride at night just a couple of times a year), then your best bet is probably a headlight modulator. I used one three bikes ago, and that, I believe, will get you most noticed by cagers. (I stopped using a modulator because I tend to travel above the speed limit, and I didn't want to attract extra attention from LEOs on the side of the road. Modulators will get you hassled on occasion, even though they're 50-state legal.)

- Again on conspicuity, non-modulator: you'll benefit from a "light triangle." This adds visual area to the bike, so cagers can get a better feel for your speed and movement. I use MotoLights on my XCT -- see my gallery for some pictures, including on the road -- because I transferred my current set from the bike I sold to get the XCT. Motolights are high quality, and have a wide focus (which is good for conspicuity and road-side fill-in, bad for down-the-road).

- Along the lines of MotoLights, there are many others. webBikeWorld recently (very favorably) reviewed the Denali Micro Lights. You might want to take a look at that write-up -- http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/d...cro/review.htm -- along with similar reviews there. This may serve well for both down-the-road and conspicuity purposes.

- If you just want lights to look cool, or as additional turn-signals, that sort of thing, you might want to look at Kuryakyn "bullet" lights and their assorted mounts.

- If you do a lot of mountain passes, etc., and want fog lights, you might want to look at what PIAA, et al., have for that.

Here are a couple of Motolight pics from my gallery, anyway. Note that I replaced the stock halogen bulbs they come with, with 5-watt LEDs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170214.jpg (37.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-31-19-06-56.jpg (44.3 KB, 25 views)

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/

Last edited by wspollack; 01-12-2013 at 08:24 PM.
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement