Victory accessories: a rant. - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Luciferiad

Default Victory accessories: a rant.

I love my XR, and I think Victory bikes are pretty awesome in general. But every time I shop for Victory accessories--stuff no one else makes--I tend to get a bit frustrated.

There are certain things I like to have on a bike just for my comfort. One of those is a crash bar. I went ahead and ponied up $300 for the tubular crash bar (thought the forged bar looked like a bit much for the XR). I thought that was a bit expensive, but there were no aftermarket alternatives, so what can I do?

Lately, I've really wanted to get bag bars. I'm not especially gracefull when I'm maneuvering the bike around under my power rather than its own, so it's only a matter of time before I lose the wrestling mach and the XR puts the three-count on me, most likely in my own driveway. But everywhere I look, those bars sell for retail. $359. No exceptions. I even check eBay once a week and nary a used pair to be had (plenty of singles, usually damaged).

how does it work out that after almost 5 years of production for the Cross bikes that there's still practically no aftermarket outside of exhaust and a few other bits, and the Vic accessories are still so expensive? I don't have a long list of wants for the bike: the bag bars, pipes, and maybe a tach. But that's over a grand right there.

I dunno, maybe I'm still used to the large selection of cheap aftermarket that was available for my Vulcan, but I'm really having a tough time getting on board with spending money on this stuff, even things I feel are really important to have, like the bag bars.

Anyway, I have very little else to do atm other than shop bike parts and complain, so thanks for listening. On the upside, we should be able to return to ID (and my bike) next week!

HERS:
2008 Vegas Low, midnight cherry
Victory Performance Shotguns
Stage 1 flash
K&N air filter
Luciferiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
TNXR

I do agree but what are you going to do? I had to have a passenger backrest and wanted the front and rear crash bars and of course wanted a shorty windshield so I just added that stuff up with the msrp of my XR and then started wheeling and dealing. I have no idea what I really paid because I negotiated the price of the bike with the extras and my bill of sale did not have them broke out. The msrp on those 4 add ons for the XR was $1700 which is crazy.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Akershaw

There are places out there that sell stuff but you're right. It's limited. I did see the other day that Mustang is making seats for the x bikes now. And I also seen that Lindby makes crash bars for the x bikes but nothing for bags. I guess we just keep waiting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

VTX traded and finally on a 2010 CC Skulls edition.
Akershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
RICZ

You spend $16,000 or more for a toy and complain that you can't find cheap stuff for it? Interesting priorities those.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
sofakingblue

At lot of stuff make for the other V-twin is made in China. Are the Vic aftermarket bolt-on's made in the U.S.A.?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
TNXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
You spend $16,000 or more for a toy and complain that you can't find cheap stuff for it? Interesting priorities those.
Not all of us spent that much, I paid much less than that for my new XR back in September with all the accessories I mentioned. Yes I am a penny pincher and try to get the most bike I could for the lowest amount of money.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
RICZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNXR View Post
Not all of us spent that much, I paid much less than that for my new XR back in September with all the accessories I mentioned. Yes I am a penny pincher and try to get the most bike I could for the lowest amount of money.
I am very frugal myself and obsess greatly over spendy purchases because I demand a lot of bang for my bucks. I also limit my "wants" to things I can write the check for. You won't catch me mortgaging my future for frivolities. But hey, these things are toys to most--a luxury, a hobby, and no hobby comes cheap. This isn't like buying a $500 used car and going to Autozone for made in China stuff for it.
You may have spent less than the $16K I mentioned, but I'll betcha the price you paid for your XR was within the 5 figure bracket--not cheap by any measure.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Luciferiad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
How so? Is it completely unreasonable to want add-ons for more moderate prices? I very rarely come in at the starting price point for anything when shopping. I figure it's worth the extra to get the features or quality. I don't have a problem with that. And it's not that I can't afford the odds and ends I want, it's that I can't justify spending the money for something that I don't necessarily -need- like the pipes or tach (I feel like bag bars are a need, I just don't think they need to cost tree-fiddy).

Let me put it this way: $1000 will finance the add-ons I want for the bike. Or $1000 will finance a week-long trip to say, the Oregon coast and a couple days spent riding up and down the 101. That's where I hit the hiccup...and there should be no question where I'd rather spend the money.

I also just get frustrated at the complete lack of alternatives, but I dunno, maybe the wealth of aftermarket they had for my VN900 spoiled me. And, on further consideration (often consider what I've posted for a while after I posted it) I suppose I do understand WHY those alternatives don't exist, and I also understand the fact that if they DID exist, they likely wouldn't be much cheaper since manufacturing and distribution costs for such a limited market would certainly drive up the prices. But as the title said, it was just a rant.

HERS:
2008 Vegas Low, midnight cherry
Victory Performance Shotguns
Stage 1 flash
K&N air filter

Last edited by Luciferiad; 05-16-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Luciferiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
RICZ

You did an excellent job of answering your own questions, Luci and I totally agree. Not many in the aftermarket are going to want the expense of the designing, tooling, production, advertising and marketing of a product for a limited niche market. So we have to stand the gaff of ponying up the bucks for quality hardware for our rather exclusive (compared to many others) bikes.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
BeoBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingblue View Post
At lot of stuff make for the other V-twin is made in China. Are the Vic aftermarket bolt-on's made in the U.S.A.?
Every Vic OEM accessory I have purchased has NOT been made in the USA. First piece I bought was the backrest... "Made in Taiwan". Pissed me off because I thought the premium price was due to being made here.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
2013 Cross Country Tour: Stage 1 exhaust, Lloydz Hi-Flow air filter, cams (HOH-VM1-DR), timing gear (HOH-PTS), Power Commander V, Auto Tune module, Gustafson flip shield, OEM passenger backrest with Cycle Ops luggage rack, Vic HID, heel shifter.

2011 Cross Country: Burnt and Traded
BeoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement