From rotella T6 to mobile 1 vtwin back to rotella T6 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Oil and Lube

Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
bL33d

Default From rotella T6 to mobile 1 vtwin back to rotella T6

Ran rotella t6 with no issues went to mobile 1 vtwin 20w 50 thought i was doing the good owner thing buy spending more on oil

To me it felt like my clutch was slipping when i would gun it like going say 20 mph gun it and more noise then action :P was not like that at the beginning seemed fine at first then started in after say 200 miles

Just changed back to rotella T6 will se if shes back on track after a few 100 miles

BTW there was nothen on my magnetic drain plug
Ness Bars, Ness mirrors, aftermarket Grips
led turn signals, sidemount LP
bL33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Joe Schmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bL33d View Post
Ran rotella t6 with no issues went to mobile 1 vtwin 20w 50 thought i was doing the good owner thing buy spending more on oil

To me it felt like my clutch was slipping when i would gun it like going say 20 mph gun it and more noise then action :P was not like that at the beginning seemed fine at first then started in after say 200 miles

Just changed back to rotella T6 will se if shes back on track after a few 100 miles

BTW there was nothen on my magnetic drain plug
NO NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD!!!

108.7 HP and 112.9 ft/lbs Torque
Member of the "Year Round Riding Club"
Proud owner of a Cadillac Crotch Rocket
Joe Schmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
mad dog

HEY bL33d
Just wanted to 2nd your opinion of Rotella T6. I know it has been said many times before BUT Rotella T6 is one of only a small handful of oils that are PURE synthetic and ranks at the top of the oil ladder, along with Redline, Motul, and Amsoil. There are perhaps 2 or 3 others that are nearly pure. All the others are variations of blends with Dino oil whether they are hydrocracked or otherwise. I'm certainly not saying these other oils aren't very good, because they are. They just aren't PURE synthetic. The legal definition of synthetic can get a little shakey too. I'm still running Victory's best, but will be changing to Rotella T6 on my next service. I ran Rotella and it's predecessor (long before they came out with T6) in all my BMW's for 43 years and hundreds of thousands of miles without a glitch. Ten years of Harley's before the BMW's (but that's another story) . Now I have finally seen the light and switched to Victory (XC, that is) and have not regretted it at all. Have a good ride!!!
mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
mad dog

I think I neglected to mention that Rotella T6 is available at Wally World for $19 gallon. I checked numerous auto supply houses and their prices ran from $29 to $34 per gallon. Cheap is good (sometimes). go Ride
mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Roadrocket

Done a lot of reading re: bike oil over the year. One thing I've learned recently is that semi-syn oil is limited to no more than 30% syn. Also have read post on various forums say that the 100% syn oils have indeed made their clutches slip. Trying to strike a happy median - with myself - I have resorted to blending my own. I'm mixing, 50-50, regular Rotella and T-6 Rotella 100% syn. and using that in my XC. I would like to be able to do this with oils that go up to a 50 wt. but haven't figured out which oils to use to accomplish this. Any suggestions??

RR
Roadrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

RR: I'm a little confused. You said you were already mixing the two Rotella's but aren't able to get to 50 wt.

Does Rotella not come in 50 wt? Also; doesn't your manual call for 20-40?

Btw; I've been thinking of mixing syn and non syn as well. There's certainly no problem in mixing oils.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Roadrocket

Syn Rotella is 5W40 and the dino Rotella is 15W40. Valvoline makes a dino 20W50 so I guess you could mix that and Amsoil or Mobil 1. Lots of Harley owners here run the RedLine 20-60 - really quietens down the clatter in those engines.

RR

Last edited by Roadrocket; 09-16-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Roadrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I see what you mean. You would end up with a 7.5w40 mix when a 20w50 would be a good or all around best. I think you nailed it with Mobile 1 V-Twin and the Valvoline V-Twin. Just go 50/50 and be done. It's easy to find those two oils here so that's probably what I'll do. I could substitue one of the Rotella's if needed.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
fxrs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrocket View Post
Syn Rotella is 5W40 and the dino Rotella is 15W40. Valvoline makes a dino 20W50 so I guess you could mix that and Amsoil or Mobil 1. Lots of Harley owners here run the RedLine 20-60 - really quietens down the clatter in those engines.

RR
I use four quarts of T6 and a half quart of dino oil and it works great.

The local dealer hates me lol.
fxrs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Seems like a lot of folks get into trouble with synthetics when they use car oil that is rated without the friction modifiers the Victory oil, Amsoil V-Twin, and Mobile 1 V-Twin have.

Those ratings are the key thing. I notice the Rotella has the correct rating even though it's a car oil. Seems to me 4 quarts of the Rotella 15w40w blended with 1.5 quarts of Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w50w would be just right. I imagine using the same Rotella with 1.5 qt's of Synth Rotella would be just fine as well. In fact I've been running that combination for 4k miles now and it works just fine. Next go around will be the Rotella/Mobile 1 V-Twin mix.

Using quality oil is the key and oil that's rated for use with wet motorcycle clutches.

I'd like to add that there has been zero degradation of shifting on my bike during the last 4k miles. No change whatsoever at all. If anything it has gotten better but I guess that's to be expected since the bike is new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement