Best way to ground multiple mods? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
petegtsv10

Default Best way to ground multiple mods?

As of today I have used that ground screw under the seat and on the back of the gas tank. I have the ground wires from my PCV, AT, brake module, Stebel and heated grips all going to that point. I am thinking about running a wire from the battery (-) to that common ground. (that way all mods are grounded to the battery) Is that a good idea, or, what's a better idea?
FFR 1965 Cobra 427
2011 BMW 135i convertible
1941 Chevy hotrod truck
petegtsv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Pop

Garage

Here's my solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distro.jpg (23.5 KB, 16 views)

We can't help it
We just keep moving
It's been that way since long ago
Since the stone age chasing the great herds
We mostly go where we have to go

That was written by James McMurtry
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
anrman

Yep, get a grounding block and get rid of all the chassis grounds. There are some very good weatherproof ones on the market.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
2011 Cross Roads
2009 BMW K1300S
2005 BMW K1200S
anrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
As of today I have used that ground screw under the seat and on the back of the gas tank. I have the ground wires from my PCV, AT, brake module, Stebel and heated grips all going to that point. I am thinking about running a wire from the battery (-) to that common ground. (that way all mods are grounded to the battery) Is that a good idea, or, what's a better idea?
Your frame is already tied to the battery (-). If it wasn't, you'd have no electricity flowing.

But a single point ground as you've done is a good thing. It prevents unexpected current loops in the system. It won't hurt to run an extra wire, but it's a bit like pissing in the ocean.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
ByteN2it

Once you get more than 2 accessories it's best to install a fuse block to eliminate the clutter and insure a solid connection for your farkles. There's lots of 'em available-one with a relay is even better.
ByteN2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
petegtsv10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Your frame is already tied to the battery (-). If it wasn't, you'd have no electricity flowing.

But a single point ground as you've done is a good thing. It prevents unexpected current loops in the system. It won't hurt to run an extra wire, but it's a bit like pissing in the ocean.
The factory screw at the rear flange of the gas tank might not get a frame-related ground. (too rubber isolated maybe) That's why I was thinking about adding a wire to the battery.
FFR 1965 Cobra 427
2011 BMW 135i convertible
1941 Chevy hotrod truck
petegtsv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
wspollack

Since you've already got some ground wires in one location under the seat, for on-going reliability I'd use Electrical Connection's ground block: http://www.electricalconnection.com/...tion/02207.htm . I used this on my Burgman (as well as a fuse panel). (Incidentally, the link for the enlarged pic on that page is wrong; it should be http://www.electricalconnection.com/images/02207.jpg .)

If you want to move your grounds near the battery, you could also use Powerlet's Termin-8: https://www.powerlet.com/product/ter...-fuseblock/409 . I use one on my XCT.

Both of those are high-quality products -- you get what you pay for.

I've also added relay-triggered fuse panels to my Burgman and my Valkyrie. These provide a little more flexibility and a few more connections. However, if your electrical farkling work is essentially done on the bike, I'd just go with the fuse block, above.

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
IBJanky

This is what I use to hook up all my accessories that require power:

www.fuzeblocks.com

Worked like a charm on my old bike and the same with my current XCT
IBJanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement