Flunked drivers test - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
gary mcclanahan

Default Flunked drivers test

Today I had a day off so I thought it would be a great time to get my license, great weather, bike running good, winter around the corner, only a few more weeks for the permit to be valid, just a perfect time for this ordeal. My bike was running good today, as I drove to the place I went over in my head all the rules that I THOUGHT would be on the test, every biker I know said the driving part is a joke, so dont worry, you'll have no trouble with it. So , I guess I was a little cocky before I even started, because I had put 6400 miles on my Hammer in the short time I've owned it. No problem, the first part I was to locate various controls on the bike, in rappet fashion, with no hesitation, as the instrutor said, What a B$%$#$ she was. I passed this part, thinking this IS a joke, THOSE OTHER BIKERS WERE RIGHT. Ok, lets get this done. Next part, weave in and out of the cones, without putting your feet down and when you finish this turn the bike around and stop on #1, then when she gave me the ok, take off shifting from 1st to 2nd then downshift to 1st and stop on the line. No problem, well there was a problem, the cones were only 10 feet apart, theres no way in hell you can do this on a wide tired hammer, that only knows how to go straight and fast. There were about 10 cones, here I go,made it around the first cone, setting up for the second cone,next thing I know, my feet are on the ground, made it around ONE cone and that was it, I only had 9 more to go----ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO THIS TEST ON A LARGE BIKE WITH A LARGE BACK TIRE THAT ONLY LIKES TO GO STRAIGHT. The instrutor told me to go inside and meet her at the window, I did, I asked her if I could use another bike and she said as long as its over 50cc. I said Thanks for nothing and I will see her again with a bike over 50 ccs. Has anyone else ever had this probllem?
gary mcclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
jazzdogg

daaaaaaaaamn! I'm certain you'll have better luck next time. Maybe some practice with YOUR bike? Just an idea, . and I got a million of em.
jazzdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
David Anderson

After deciding to take the road test here in MN with my Honda shadow, i was talking to my neighbor who suggested I use his 125cc Yamaha scooter. I initially declined until we drove over to a testing station that had the course painted on the parking lot. It was obvious there was no way with my skill level and that large of bike. We traded and I used the scooter with a good passing grade. I know a very skilled rider can manuever his bike through the cones and do the extremely tight U turn, but it seemed impossible to me. There were 4 others along with me as I went first. I am positive the 2 behind me failed as they did not come into the building to finish the paperwork. I think that the course is really designed to encourage you to take the Basic Motorcyle Safety course which pretty much guarantees you your endorsement once you finish. That may not be the worst thing however it seems as though the test was not very easy for a larger bike for sure.
David Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
diamondrmp
The Diamond

Garage

Don't get me wrong Gary but 6400 miles really isn't THAT much experience on a wide tire especially if you haven't been doing tight maneuvers.

I would bet you that if you set up the same course and practiced for a a while you would get it down pat. Of course it depends on the distance between the cones too.

In California you have to do a figure eight. There is NO way that could be done on my bike the way she is set up now with the rake. I know because just for S&G I took Porti to DMV and couldn't walk her through the figure 8.

Luckily in California if you take the MSF course you don't have to do the driving test!! So I didn't have to do that part.

diamondrmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
MSchneid

Here in PA if you take the safety course and pass they give you a license. They supply the 250cc cycles and you will learn a thing or two.
Torque Tubes
Monster Baffles
Power Commander

Too much chrome and add ons to list.

:soapbox:Ban "TAR AND CHIP"
MSchneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
CatchinZs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchneid View Post
Here in PA if you take the safety course and pass they give you a license. They supply the 250cc cycles and you will learn a thing or two.
Seriously, this is one of the best courses I've ever taken. They do a great job of building the skills and confidence needed to be a safe and defensive rider.
CatchinZs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Paul M

Taking the MSF course comes with no guarantee that you will pass....I took the course a few years back and we had 3 people (2 women and 1 guy) that failed it.(no, one wasn't me....LOL) You need to pay attention and you need to be familiar with riding a bit....I enjoyed the hell out of it....2 solid full days in the saddle with a sort of practical test the final late afternoon....best part the bikes were only 250cc's and they provided them and the gas.....trying to do a road test on a full blooded "big boy" bike is almost impossible....figure eights in a roadway without putting a paw on the turf can be tough on our "roadways"........LOL Better luck next time.....for shits and giggles show up on a 50 cc scooter......I dare you LOL
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
CrossRoads
Administrator

The DMV course has to be practiced before hand, even if you do go take it on a scoot. My local DMV has the course on an inclined section, and the asphalt is all waves from the roots of nearby trees. If you just show up to the course for the first time, you're almost guaranteed to fail, regardless what you ride.

Go practice the course a few days, and you'll see how your comfort level with the course starts to grow.

The miles you rode don't mean anything for the DMV test, unless you rode over 6000 miles in 1st gear alone ;-)
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Taking the MSF course comes with no guarantee that you will pass....I took the course a few years back and we had 3 people (2 women and 1 guy) that failed it.
Must've been a good class. When I took the MSF, 5 people failed it (2 girls, 3 guys), not counting the one that got kicked out in the first day for dropping the bike 3 times. Usually those with a cocky attitude fail it - they come to the course to show off what they can do, not ready to learn anything new.
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
diamondrmp
The Diamond

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Taking the MSF course comes with no guarantee that you will pass....I took the course a few years back and we had 3 people (2 women and 1 guy) that failed it.(no, one wasn't me....LOL) You need to pay attention and you need to be familiar with riding a bit....I enjoyed the hell out of it....2 solid full days in the saddle with a sort of practical test the final late afternoon....best part the bikes were only 250cc's and they provided them and the gas.....trying to do a road test on a full blooded "big boy" bike is almost impossible....figure eights in a roadway without putting a paw on the turf can be tough on our "roadways"........LOL Better luck next time.....for shits and giggles show up on a 50 cc scooter......I dare you LOL

I 100% disagree with that one statement! Before I took the MSF class in April of 2006 I had maybe 1 hour MAX on a motorcycle driving it and it had been at least 8 years since the last ride.

I passed the MSF with the top score!

The instructors of my class said the worst students are the ones that have been riding a long time because they've learned and or developed bad riding habits. In my class 2 people didn't pass one guy had been riding over 20 years!!! The lady had been riding about 12 years!

diamondrmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement