Tuning with Vic stage 3 cam kit? Hammer/Jackpot - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 06-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
dajackpot
Lifetime Premium

Default Tuning with Vic stage 3 cam kit? Hammer/Jackpot

I have the Victory stage 1 slash exhaust and program on my 2007 Jackpot. With the rainy weather we had here in MN over the last week I decided to go ahead and install my stage 3 cam kit (cams for slip-ons and Big Sucker air box) myself since I couldn't ride it I might as well work in it and I have all the tools, instructions & service book. It took me 3 evenings to get it all done which is not to bad I thought. Was it a bad choice using that cam kit over the drag pipes one especially since I got the kit NEW for $200?

ANYWAY, getting to the real meat and potatoes of my post I used the Arlen Ness Big Shot FMC but have reading that the power commander is the way to go.

SO WHAT'S THE REAL ADVANTAGE OF THE POWER COMMANDER OVER THE FMC? I seen that you can adjust the cylinders separately and have several maps to choose from, but I would still need it dynometered and finding someone may be a chore. Did I make a bad choice? If so, I am switching. I checked with the H-D dealer right by my house for the dyno and they wont touch it...BASTARDS! That is one reason I got a Vic because they find themselves to be better than EVERYONE else. Next stop was going to be the Vic dealer, BUT they dont do dynos there either and they are 25 miles away anyway!! So I am checking a mobile one now that does all makes.

So in review: Cam kit a good choice? Power commander or is Ness Big Shot ok?
dajackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
kevinx
Lifetime Premium

1]Though they are not the best drag racing cam. S3 cams make for great bottom/mid range power. I personally like them in a mostly stock motor that runs back roads, and twisties.

2] The problem you will have is this. With srock or S1 mapping and 99 style intake you get with the kit...You will be to rich on the bottom end. There are two ways to deal with this.
a] Use the map card provided with the kit. You can select from slip on or the drag map once you are in digital wrench. In this case I prefer the slip on version; as the drag pipe version has some funky low RPM drivability issues. If it were mine I would go this route
b] Buy a power comander, and have a good tuner set it up for you. You would need a PC since the Big Shot can only add fuel. While this will work. You will end up spending around $500 before you are done, and the guy that took route "a" will have as much power, and prolly better drivability and milage
kevinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
PlowTown Missile
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
1]Though they are not the best drag racing cam. S3 cams make for great bottom/mid range power. I personally like them in a mostly stock motor that runs back roads, and twisties.

2] The problem you will have is this. With srock or S1 mapping and 99 style intake you get with the kit...You will be to rich on the bottom end. There are two ways to deal with this.
a] Use the map card provided with the kit. You can select from slip on or the drag map once you are in digital wrench. In this case I prefer the slip on version; as the drag pipe version has some funky low RPM drivability issues. If it were mine I would go this route
b] Buy a power comander, and have a good tuner set it up for you. You would need a PC since the Big Shot can only add fuel. While this will work. You will end up spending around $500 before you are done, and the guy that took route "a" will have as much power, and prolly better drivability and milage
Kevin, what low rpm drivability problems are you talking about? I ask because my Stage 3 Hammer kind of chugs/surges below 2k rpm and is pretty rich at idle. It makes taking a slow city corner kind of a pain. Info on my setup: '07 Hammer with Victory Stage 3 kit with unbaffled shotgun exhaust. All work was done by service manager at a Victory dealer in his spare time. I bought my bike this way with 4,200 miles.

Last edited by PlowTown Missile; 09-15-2011 at 10:22 AM.
PlowTown Missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
kevinx
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowTown Missile View Post
Kevin, what low rpm drivability problems are you talking about? I ask because my Stage 3 Hammer kind of chugs/surges below 2k rpm and is pretty rich at idle. It makes taking a slow city corner kind of a pain. Info on my setup: '07 Hammer with Victory Stage 3 kit with unbaffled shotgun exhaust. All work was done by service manager at a Victory dealer in his spare time. I bought my bike this way with 4,200 miles.
You have two separate issues.
First the kinda jerky chug down low is typical of the Drag version of the map in place
Secon is that without a baffle of any type the bike will run rich down low, and some of the gain from the S3 cams is lost with the wide open pipe. Get yourself a set of TM baffles, and you can prolly clear that up with no additional tuning
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
PlowTown Missile
Lifetime Premium

Thanks Kevin. I've been meaning to slide the baffles in that came with it since the bike is ridiculously loud
PlowTown Missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
kevinx
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowTown Missile View Post
Thanks Kevin. I've been meaning to slide the baffles in that came with it since the bike is ridiculously loud
I would get a set of the Thunder Monster Quiet baffles. the ones that come with the shot guns pretty much suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement