Seat bolt issue? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
ALStensby

Default Seat bolt issue?

Stopped by at a local body shop the other day to speak with them about fabbing up a new pan with a cowl and solo seat configuration. Pulled off the side covers to get to the bolts and the left one was missing (was at about 1200 miles at the time). Looking closer it looks like the threads are completely shot. Anyone else have this happen?

I'm guessing it's just a fluke incident but wanted to see if anyone else has had it happen. Heading to the dealer tomorrow morning for them to look at/fix it.
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
RICZ

Al, I had just the opposite problem. The first time I tried to remove the saddle, the screws were so tight for the full length of the threads that I thought they might shear before I got them out. I checked the screws with a die and those threads were good. Then I checked the holes with a tap and it wouldn't go in, so I cleaned up those threads with the tap. All is OK now. You might have to drill and tap for the next size larger screw on that side, or install a threaded insert.
2010 Red XR. 2007 Red Chrysler 300C. Compliment the lines of your Cross bike with the best and cheapest license plate laydown bracket. Now even better. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...highlight=ricz
Steady your Cross bike on your lift with this cheap device...
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...t=lift+adapter
RICZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
ALStensby

lol...that certainly would be the opposite! Dealer already said they'd address it so I'll just let them deal with it.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
visionjohnny

ALStensby
Say you know Donnie Smith is right over by that big sports complex off central ave, I know he cold build you a seat pan and even tell you who does good upholster.
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
BigRedXerII

My seat bolts were extremely tight the first time I removed the seat.
I thought they were cross threaded or something. After I got them out and check out I remembered something about dissimilar medals. I use anti-seize on them now and haven't had any problems.
'91 900RR - gone
'02 1800 VTX Retro - Looking for a new home
'11 Cross Country - new ride looking new for twisties

"Its about the Journey and the Friends we make."
BigRedXerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Roadrocket

Same here. Mine scretched(sp?) very loudly for about 2 turns coming out. I too thought they were crossthreaded. Something wrong with the instructions on the assembly line IMHO is they are all like that.

RR
Old 07-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
ALStensby

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
ALStensby
Say you know Donnie Smith is right over by that big sports complex off central ave, I know he cold build you a seat pan and even tell you who does good upholster.
Naturally...I'm from MN. Ha ha! This shop is just down the street. But, may swing up to DS some day.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
ALStensby

BTW, just as an update. Rode up to the dealer this weekend. They pulled her in back, retapped and I was off and riding again without an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement