Short Victory Riders? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
guns90

Default Short Victory Riders?

Hi, guys. This is my first post here. Been doing some lurking for a short time. I have finally decided jump in. I've been riding for about 42 years now, starting to think seriously about getting a new scoot, and going to meet the Victory demo team the day after tomorrow to try a couple. In particular, I'm looking for some info/advice from Victory experienced riders.

I'm short (I no longer find it necessary to try to be politically correct. At my age, I accepted it a long time ago. I'm short.) 5'5" to be exact. Every motorcycle I've ridden in my life was designed for someone about 5 inches taller than me. Making a motorcycle fit me has always been a problem. Because of today's trendy styles (forward foot controls and longer reach to the handlebars), there are not a lot of choices out there for me. What I have found on most bikes today is that the seat usually needs an inch or two padding to move me forward, the handlebars need to be moved rearward maybe 3 or 4 inches, and the foot controls are simply going to be reach for me.

My riding habits are as follows: If I have to make a short or quick run to the store, I jump on the bike to do it (Even if I have to take my spider net or bungee chords to bring it back.) The vast majority of my riding is around the state (CT) just for pleasure (between 75-200 miles). One a year I'll make a 500/600 mile trip, and once every 2 to 3 years I'll head to some family member's (TN, FL, TX, CO, IL) for a visit. (Is it obvious to anyone now that I LOVE to ride and do it every chance I get?) Oh, also, I am a very aggressive rider. I recently returned from the Tail of the Dragon where I removed a fair amount of chrome from my floorboards.

My question for you guys is this: Is Victory really an option for me, meaning, does Victory have a model that possesses the capability to be modified to fit me and satisfy the needs of my riding habits? I guess that's best described as a smaller than usual bagger, but not anywhere near like a Vision. I'm thinking of trying the Cross Country.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.
guns90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
diamondrmp
The Diamond

Garage

Welcome aboard.

The absolute best thing is when you ride the bikes at the demo tour to judge for yourself.

You need KevinX to chime in here. He just got rid of his Kingpin and got an XC.

Your style of riding sounds like his. Since he's owned both he can give an experienced opinion. The main difference is Kevin is taller.

diamondrmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
guns90

Thanks, Diamond. Its NOT a difference to me....MOST people are taller.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
itchy

From my experience;

I'm 5'5 as well, and have been riding my '04 vegas a lot like you describe for a few months.

At first I was a little aprehensive as well, as I was used to riding bikes like Virago's where your feet are under you a little more, and the bars were angled more commonly. Once I got used to the different peg and handlebar position (couple of days), the position felt very natural. I don't feel like I'm reaching with my hands or feet, and my posture isn't uncomfortable for hours of riding. The one thing I did change was switch to a different seat (corbin touring seat), which has a touch more of a lip to feel like the back of my ass is touching something.

Hope this info helps. My suggestion; when I was testing bikes, just sit on it for a while, while you're talking to the dealer, in the position feet up, hands on the grips for an extended period.

Don't know how much different it is for the different models and styles, but my Vegas fits me like a glove.
Mini windshield
Passenger seat
More to come!!
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
dani_girl

you're not as short as me! I'm 5'2" and luuvvv my Kingpin Low. Victory basically does the lowering for you, including bringing the floorboards and handlebars back 2". Unfortunately, they discontinued the lows in '09, but they've basically done the same with their 8-ball versions. If you don't like the blacked out look, recommend looking for an '09 kingpin or vegas low.

I'm not as agressive as you, so the kingpin might be to much of a cruiser vs sporty for you. Heard good things about the crossroads.

good luck!
custom painted hard-side bags

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic - TOTALLED
7500mi, laid down at 40mph
walked away 'cause I was wearin' my gear!
dani_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
guns90

Thanks for the info, Itchy and dani_girl. I do love the looks of all the Vic cruisers. For long distance riding though, I find hardbags a must. I know that I can add bags to any bike, but I've come to find that they need to be good sized. With the two exhaust pipes on the same side on the cruisers. I'd really have to look in to adding bags to those bikes. I can do without the batwing/fairing. My bike just has a shield and lowers, but not having decent sized bags would be a deal breaker I'm afraid.

This is what I'm riding now. Its a 2000 Honda Shadow 1100 American Classic Edition Tourer that I brought new and, as you can see, made a few mods on. http://www.flickr.com/photos/18684033@N06/1899419361/in/photostream
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
CrossRoads
Administrator

When you go demo the bikes, have them switch the controls backwards for you. On the cross bikes they have three positions, and the demo bikes are set in the middle position (for average legs). This could make or break your date with a cross bike, so make absolutely sure they get the foot controls moved for you - it's a 2 minute process.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
vic 8

5'4" here.I've had my Vegas 8 Ball for 6 yrs.I lowered it 1.5 inches,and have no problems.In fact I got the chance to test ride a Cross Country,and loved it! I think some how Victory has made their bikes fit "most",without compromising comfort.Go test ride one,and you'll buy one!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

With your experience and what you described; I'd say the Cross Roads would fit you just right with the hard bags. The Cross Country would too if you so desired but you've mostly described the XR.

There are lowering kits for the X bikes and the good news is the X bikes start out at 4.7" of rear suspension travel so if you need to drop it an inch or two; it'll be ok. There's also a skid plate available and it is recommended if you go -2".

That and a decent pair of boots with a good sole and heel should more than make the bike fit you like a glove after adjusting the foot controls as mentioned. I went with a +2" set of handlebars and I'm around 5'9.5".

If you go with the XC you probably won't need to change the windshield like most do but a set of fork lowers would probably be a good idea. There are less expensive ways of tackling that issue than the Vic brand.

Plenty of women ride the X bikes so don't think either one would be too much for you. They are heavy at a standstill but once they get moving they feel a couple hundred pounds lighter IMHO.

When I read the first paragraph of what you were looking for I immediately thought of the High Ball because the pegs are much closer and the bars adjust back which would fit you like a glove. They don't have bags (stock) though. Same engine but a lot quicker due to the lightness of the bike. A lot more fun to ride up to a certain distance too. If I didn't do so much longer distance riding I'd set the High Ball up to be a short to mid distance rider.

Here's one at a recent Victory Rally.

BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I forgot all about the new Cross Roads Classic LE. Hard to find and in very limited supply but if you can get one; good on you.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...sClassicLE.htm

Last edited by BBob; 08-11-2011 at 01:29 AM.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement