Stage 1 vs. Aftermarket Pipes - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
JJKJR

Default Stage 1 vs. Aftermarket Pipes

Hey Folks new to the forum as you can tell and I don't own a XR yet but I'm moving in that direction. Been viewing the posts here for a couple of months now and have learned a bit more about the bike but I have a question.

I currently own a 2004 Volusia with aftermarket pipe (V&H Cruisers) that give the bike a nice sound. When I purchase a XR I would like a similar type of sound. The question is what is the best way to achieve it? Buy aftermarket pipes, use a Stage 1 Kit, combination of both or drill out the factory pipes. I would also like to use a K&N filter. Does that change my options?

I did take a XC on a demo ride about a month ago and enjoyed everything, except for the sound of the pipes.

I'm sure there several ways to proceed. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Roadrocket

First off, congrats on your pending purchase. Secondly, keep in mind that I'm old and no longer a fan of 'noise' . I do, however, appreciate a good, deep, mellow sound. That, along with the fact that you want to get a better airflow using the K&N air filter, would lead me to recommend the Stage 1 set-up.
If money is a little tight, as it is for most folks these days, I can tell you how to achive almost the same sound from the stockers for about $25 bucks ( and that's NOT drilling out the pipe from the rear!). A/Filter would be about $65. Disconnect the 02 sensors and I think it would sound & run just fine

RR
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
basshawk84

Roadrocket, can you let us in on the $25 secret for the stockers? I should have my XCT in a couple of weeks and am going through the same things as usual with pipes, air flow, etc. Thanks!!
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Donzo

D & D make slip on pipes for the cross bikes - deep low rumble and not to loud - just right imo. They look great on the bike also
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Roadrocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshawk84 View Post
Roadrocket, can you let us in on the $25 secret for the stockers? I should have my XCT in a couple of weeks and am going through the same things as usual with pipes, air flow, etc. Thanks!!
Will do - but later today or tonite. I'm going riding
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Bikendad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
D & D make slip on pipes for the cross bikes - deep low rumble and not to loud - just right imo. They look great on the bike also
+1 very nice sounding and looking pipe.
Bikendad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
JJKJR

Thanks for the responses so far. I went to D&D Exhaust and saw the set they had for the XR. It said that you would need a Stage 1 download and a high flow filter. Based on what you folks did to your bikes, is there anything additional that would need to be done?
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Roadrocket

Earplugs IMHO

Cross Bike Muffler Modification

First, remove the mufflers (obviously). Look into the INLET end and you’ll see 3 tubes sticking up that flow into the muffler’s inner chamber. Between each of these tubes drill a 3/8” hole using a drill bit extension and a 3/8” drill bit. You can go up to a ½” if you wish. BUT, most importantly, DO NOT drill thru the center baffle. Drill the holes as close to the outside wall as possible.
The muffler diameter is 4 inches. Get a drill bit, either a 3/16ths or a ¼”, and mark the depth to drill at 3 ½”. You want to drill thru the inner tube but not out the other side.Then starting at the rear of the muffler and working your way forward, drill holes STRAIGHT THROUGH about an inch apart. As I recall the plug/baffle is about 15 inches from the front so don’t go beyond that. I put 12 holes in mine (you get 2 holes in the inner tube for every hole you drill thru the outside) that were a ¼” in size.
Now all you have to do is plug the holes drilled thru the side. I paid a local Machine shop $20 bucks to mig weld them. I’m sure J.B.Weld would work or use a short pan-head sheelmetal screw – maybe both.
These ended up sounding almost identical to the Stg 1 pipes. I think it might leave a little more tq. under 3k as well. Sounds much deeper than just drilling out the plug too.

Last edited by Roadrocket; 10-25-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Roadrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Spiderman
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Yep...have these on my Vision and they are perfect IMHO.

2008 Hammer S (traded in for the Vision)

VTX 1800 convert

Ride hard, Live long
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
rubiusbeer

Default D&D pipes

I have D&Ds and the highflow air filter on my 2011 XC. Instead of the stage one download I went with a power commander 5. Works and sounds great. By the time you pay for the card from victory and have a tech dowload the stage one download you are at aroud $250. The PC5 was around $300 from fuel moto
rubiusbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement