Tires for the Cross Country / Cross Roads? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
BeoBob

Default Tires for the Cross Country / Cross Roads?

What kind of tires are you guys running now? What kind of mileage did you get out of the OEM Dunlop Elite 3's?

Reason I ask is, at 5,500 miles my rear tire is starting to show some wear. It's not toast yet but at this rate it will only be a couple of months before it will be time for new rubber.

On past bikes I have tried Avon (didn't like), Bridgestone (OK), and Metzler (good). From what I found on the internet the Metzlers are cheaper than the Dunlops. What's up with that?
2013 Cross Country Tour: Stage 1 exhaust, Lloydz Hi-Flow air filter, cams (HOH-VM1-DR), timing gear (HOH-PTS), Power Commander V, Auto Tune module, Gustafson flip shield, OEM passenger backrest with Cycle Ops luggage rack, Vic HID, heel shifter.

2011 Cross Country: Burnt and Traded
BeoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
toejam

When I'm due for a new set, I'm leaning towards what the goldwingers use.

2010 Midnight Cherry XC 116 Big Bore - Gone
2006 Hammer - Gone
toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeoBob View Post
What kind of tires are you guys running now? What kind of mileage did you get out of the OEM Dunlop Elite 3's?

Reason I ask is, at 5,500 miles my rear tire is starting to show some wear. It's not toast yet but at this rate it will only be a couple of months before it will be time for new rubber.

On past bikes I have tried Avon (didn't like), Bridgestone (OK), and Metzler (good). From what I found on the internet the Metzlers are cheaper than the Dunlops. What's up with that?
What type of Avon didn't you like?

I've a few revisions of their tires and the first two I had issues with.

The first was an Avon Azzaro. It was so unbalanced, the tech had to damn near weld an anvil on the rim to keep the tire from bouncing.

The second pair I tried were the 45/46 series. I was riding a Ducati ST at the time and a fellow rider, renowned for setting Iron Butt records aboard said bike was advertising for them at the time. I thought, how could they possibly be bad if this guy likes them?

And for a while, they were just fine, then with about 6k miles on them they turned into sticks of butter. I've never ridden anything as scary before or since.

My last experience was with a set of Avon Storms. These were on my a Yami Warrior. Those tires were fantastic. The rear lasted 7500 miles and the front lasted nearly 11k miles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy those again, but last I checked they don't make any that fit our X bikes anyway. No sweat for now as I like the E3s just as well. Of course they only have 5k miles on them so my impression is subject to change.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
lstayner

Default Don't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by toejam View Post
When I'm due for a new set, I'm leaning towards what the goldwingers use.
I am an ex Goldwinger and I followed the pack and put the Bridgestones on that everyone raved about. My thought: The stock Dunlop D250 had better traction than the upgraded Bridgestones. I had 12,500 miles on them when I traded and they probably had another 3K left in them. They always felt slick in the curves to me and I rode more cautiously because of it. Personally, stick with the E3's.

Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 66,000 smiles
lstayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Ahoutzer

Does Avon make Venom radials (AM41 front, AM42 rear) in the right size for the X bikes? I used these on my last 900 pound bike and they were my favorite tire. I have 4,100 on my XCT so far, and like the EIII, but would probably like to try the old familiar Avon Venoms.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Jagular

I have the 'Stones that the Wingers like and... I like them. Smooth, great ride. I prefer them to the stock Dunnies. Hard to say how long the Stones will last, just yet. My Dunnie's only lasted about 7k miles but my driving is probably more, er, enthusiastic than most...

'13 Cadillac ATS, 2.0L Turbo Premium, blue with black interior

'12 Vegas 8 Ball - Arlen Ness HD cafe fairing, MBW LED signals, side-mount plate, factory cruise, heated grips, Corbin heated seat, more...

'12 Nissan Leaf SL - red

'10 Cross Country Tour, black, way too much to list now. Some videos are available here: My Youtube Channel Feed

'01 Honda Magna, black, too much to list
Jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
JC0808

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
I am an ex Goldwinger and I followed the pack and put the Bridgestones on that everyone raved about. My thought: The stock Dunlop D250 had better traction than the upgraded Bridgestones. I had 12,500 miles on them when I traded and they probably had another 3K left in them. They always felt slick in the curves to me and I rode more cautiously because of it. Personally, stick with the E3's.
I am on my second set of stones on my Goldwing and loving them. I had the D250 OEM and the E3. Both cupped badly by the time I reached 12k. And , yes I check my air pressure as minimum weekly.

I got 16k rear and 20K out of my last set of stones. They stick to the road and do very well in wet conditions. I will go to the stones on the XC when I wear out the E3.

JC

US Army Retired SGM
HRBSMC
XC 2011 White/Grey, D&D, PCV, Autotune, Lloydz filter, LLoydz cam, Ipod adapter, Kicker speakers, HID hi/lo (55W),
XCT Windshield, ++
2009 Victory Kingpin (sold)
2007 GL1800 Goldwing w/trailer (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols)
JC0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
ndabunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeoBob View Post
...Reason I ask is, at 5,500 miles my rear tire is starting to show some wear. It's not toast yet but at this rate it will only be a couple of months before it will be time for new rubber.
The least I have seen is around 8K miles but most are getting 12K to 14K out of the OEM tires. I had about 4,200 miles on mine and they look basically new so not certain why yours are wearing so fast.

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs (Custom), WitchDoctor Chrome CAM tension cover/Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Mod, Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, PC-V & AutoTune
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
lstayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
The least I have seen is around 8K miles but most are getting 12K to 14K out of the OEM tires. I had about 4,200 miles on mine and they look basically new so not certain why yours are wearing so fast.
Different types of roads around the country tend to eat tires quicker than what you may be riding. In IA you can get pretty good mileage out of a tire whereas in Arkansas you might get 25% less miles do to the heat and road surface difference.

the other thing that might be causing shorter life is the right hand twisting a bit to hard.

Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 66,000 smiles
lstayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
vindex1963
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
Different types of roads around the country tend to eat tires quicker than what you may be riding. In IA you can get pretty good mileage out of a tire whereas in Arkansas you might get 25% less miles do to the heat and road surface difference.

the other thing that might be causing shorter life is the right hand twisting a bit to hard.
Deceleration wears them fast also.

My Harley (Ultra Classic) has Dunlop D407s with the hard center compound and softer sides. It has 42,000+ miles and is only on the second set of tires. That's the tire going on my Vegas someday.
Home built intake
Power Commander III USB
89 hp
101 tq
Dyno Chart
Tuned by Thunder Mfg
Low beam 6000k HID
Oil test

2009 Harley Ultra Classic
Little HP
Little TQ
Lots of smooth highway miles