Cross Country Tour overheating issues? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
pat0021

Default Cross Country Tour overheating issues?

Having owned nothing but Japanese bikes so far and nothing but water cooled. I was wondering how prone this bike may be to over heating? This bike is high on my list of "next bike" list. I got caught on I95 in the bronx a couple years ago on my Kaw 900LT for about 2 hours to do 3 or 4 miles. I am not sure how an air cooled bike would have made it thru that. Only other thing I wish they would do is put the idiot switch on the kickstand. Its a nice safety feature to have.
pat0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
LazyDawg
Lifetime Premium

Im still new to Victories myself, have my XC for only about 5 months. But first they are not air cooled they are Oil Cooled, so that helps. I have not heard of any overheating issues with the Vics yet, your legs might get hot though
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
stymie

You will feel a little heat at a stop on a hot day but if you have ever ridden a Harley in the summer you will love this bike, night and day. The Victory is air cooled but does have an oil cooler that helps pull the heat out of the motor, combination of both, some would ague semantics, the cooler and the air going across the motor. Harley also has an oil cooler but it only circulates the oil in the crankcase. Victory actually circulates the oil through the cylinders, guess where all the heat is generated? Exactly, the cylinders. Victory actually downsized their oil coolers in the beginning because they had a problem warming the engine up. You ever get a chance look on YouTube, there's some videos of the Victory motor cut away next to a Harley motor cut away. Pretty interesting when you compare the two, Victory took the time and engineered a motor from the ground up, did it right the first time.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
stymie

Heres the link, Im sure this has been around the block a few times but if you have'nt seen it check it out. I think he might even talk about the oil cooling the heads.

stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
ndabunka

Harley's overheat (all the time in hit weather conditions and stop & go traffic), Victory's don't. It's that simple.

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs, Ness Radius laydown license, Chrome CAM Tension Covers, Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Opener, Victory Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, Küryakyn Upper Fork Shrouds, Küryakyn Lower Fork Covers, Power Commander V Tuner
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
ndabunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Heres the link, Im sure this has been around the block a few times but if you have'nt seen it check it out. I think he might even talk about the oil cooling the heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFP...eature=related
There is nothing about oil cooling in that particular video. Did you mean to post a different video of that series?

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs, Ness Radius laydown license, Chrome CAM Tension Covers, Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Opener, Victory Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, Küryakyn Upper Fork Shrouds, Küryakyn Lower Fork Covers, Power Commander V Tuner
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
simpletruth
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat0021 View Post
Having owned nothing but Japanese bikes so far and nothing but water cooled. I was wondering how prone this bike may be to over heating? This bike is high on my list of "next bike" list. I got caught on I95 in the bronx a couple years ago on my Kaw 900LT for about 2 hours to do 3 or 4 miles. I am not sure how an air cooled bike would have made it thru that. Only other thing I wish they would do is put the idiot switch on the kickstand. Its a nice safety feature to have.
Got caught in Denver Colorado comming back from Sturgis last year. It was about 95 degrees that day in stop and go traffic for about 2 hrs. with no overheating problems. Also was in 114 degrees in San Angelo, TX on a Bank sign and 118 on my ambient temp gauge on my way to Sturgis loaded down. Temp didn't get below 110 until about 7:30 that evening in Lubuck Tx. Engine didn't get overheated then either, even though I was about to die from the heat.
Performance Air Filter
D&D exhaust
Gustafsson +4 Shield
I POD
Adjustable lowering Link
Kicker PS52504 Speakers
Titan Amp BT454
10 HD Fat Boy (Hers)
08 VTX1800F sold
06 1200R Sportster sold
1979 Yam 750 Special sold
simpletruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Bujee1

Garage

Rode to Vegas with my brother in September heat. 100+ heat at 80 mph for three hours, only stopping for gas. Never over heated.
2003 Yamaha Road Star (old School bagger) For sale!
Bujee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
kmoulds

Gid day
I've come from a 2003 Ultra Classic which had S&S touring CAMS, PCIII, Vance and Hines monster ovals & factory HD oil cooler. My HD did get hot in city traffic but my new 2012 XCT gets even hotter. Mainly my right upper leg. The bike is only 1 month old and has already had the first, 800 klm/500 mile, service and at that time I brought this to the attention of the dealer. He said everything on the bike is running fine but I still get, what I consider, excessive heat. It's bearable but sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable. Thank goodness for Kevlar jeans.

Just my observation and 2 cents worth.
kmoulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoulds View Post
I've come from a 2003 Ultra Classic which had S&S touring CAMS, PCIII, Vance and Hines monster ovals & factory HD oil cooler. My HD did get hot in city traffic but my new 2012 XCT gets even hotter.
On the Harley you did modicications that would allow a better air/fuel ratio and give cooler running. Have you done the same modifications to the Victory? If not this is not a fair comparison, is it?
airbox, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement