Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Heated Gear Outlet

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  visionjohnny 
#1 ·
Is anyone using Gerbing's heated gear on their XCT, mine is a 2013? Any problems with rider and passenger pulling down amperage (rider has gloves and jacket liner, passenger has gloves, jacket liner and insoles, Gerbing's state total draw for all these products is 21.4 amps)? For two up riding, how do you plug in both rider and passenger? I thought I would drill a hole in bottom of left side lower box for 12v plug and run extension under gas tank and seat to passenger. Or, drill hole in rear trunk for 12v plug to passenger's heat controller. Any other suggestions? Thanks

#2 ·
I wear a Warm N Safe heated jacket liner and Gerbings heated gloves, and I turn on the heated seat and heated grips, 40 watts of extra lighting and run the radio. The voltmeter stays at about 14.5 volts.

#4 · (Edited)
No. I don't know whether the fairing's accessory plug will power heated gear or not. I have a terminal strip that I wired in the fairing. I takes power directly from the battery, through a relay so that it provides power only when the ignition is on. My two 20-watt running lights and a harness for the heated gear are connected to that terminal strip. The wire for the heated gear passes through the left cheese wedge and sticks up between the gas tank and the seat. That way, the wire doesn't flop around.

I use Warm N Safe's remote dual heat controller, which is velcro'ed to the dash. It has separate controls for the gloves and for the jacket liner.

I ride every day, all year. The wiring that I described may sound complicated, but the result is very convenient.

#5 ·
No. I don't know whether the fairing's accessory plug will power heated gear or not.
The outlet in the fairing is fine for heated gear. I have a TourMaster heated liner, which draws about 7 amps on max setting, and have used the fairing outlet without incident.

My liner terminates in a Powerlet male plug, so shortly after I got my XCT, I bought one of these -- http://www.powerlet.com/product/cigarette-plug-to-powerlet-socket-cable/3 -- so I could use the dash cigarette-style outlet. I drape the whole mess over the handlebar, by the clutch area. Of course, since the dash is always "on," you have to remember to turn off (or unplug) your gear when you shut off the bike.

That said, this winter I plan on adding a Powerlet female outlet to the side-panel on the left side. This will allow a shorter route, down the left side (where the liner's wire comes out). I plan on drilling a hole through the plastic side cover, and already bought the shallow right-angle Powerlet socket for this. The trick is marking the exact place to drill, near where the plastic turns in (near the front) toward the bike. I've looked, and there's an area behind that side cover that has enough space for the plug. I did this same thing -- drilled through plastic in that area -- when I owned my 650 Burgman, and this turned out to be very convenient; see attached pic. (You can see a close-up of the drilled-through tupperware in my write-up, in this Burgman USA forum post: http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26558 .)

Victory does list the max charging output ("48 amps," i.e., almost 600 watts) at http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/touring/cross-country-tour/specifications , although of course they don't have an RPM vs. watts graph. However, that's a lot of watts, and with LED signals, the headlight, and spark, I would suspect that there's more than enough juice for two-up heated gear, even with the grips and seat heat on... certainly at anything above idle.

Attachments

#6 ·
Gerbing's heated gear is GREAT
Have had mine for years. Hook straight to battery with a on off switch.
Best money ever spent thumb up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.