Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Tips for removing factory shift peg and brake peg

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Staminack 
#1 ·
Is there some trick or tip to remove the stock shift peg and brake peg on a Cross Country? I bought some replacement ones from Kury. The instructions say to just use a slip-joint pliers to twist the old ones off. Tried that but the rubber just rotates and looks like it is ready to rip and the peg itself doesn't start unscrewing. I'd rather not destroy the stock pegs.

Any constructive help appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

#2 ·
One of mine came off pretty easy but it took vice grips for the other. They use some kind of white thread locker and it is some good stuff. Make sure you are turning them to the left and bite the bullet and damn the torpedo's. A heat gun could help but not sure about that, seems like it wouldn't hurt.
The Kury pegs are very nice, I have the extended ones on both sides and am enjoying them. Oh yea, when you get them off clean out the threads and use some blue lock tight, otherwise you may be having the same fight getting the new ones back on.

Good Luck

Reactions: FLVicRider
#3 ·
A good pair of vise grips properly adjusted and you should be good to go.

#4 ·
I recently did mine with a rag wrapped around peg for protection,(maybe use later) and VISE grips. Worked like a charm

#6 ·
The vise-grip tip helped. I used two. The rubber of one of the pegs (the brake side was really tight) is slightly messed up, but nothing major.

Rob

#7 ·
Yup Vice Grips, they used thread locker on those things (mine anyway), so use a steady amount of serious force. Don't whale on it, slowly dial up the torque to bust those things loose.

It's a regular thread so, lefty-loosey .. thumb up

#8 ·
I had to vice-grip mine. Fortunately, I wasn't worried about keeping them ;)

#9 ·
I applied heat to arm and also used vice grips. Didn’t damage the stock pegs but the brake peg had a flat spot worn into it anyway. Also did the bushings on the shifter to firm things up. I used washers to get a better fit and found some bronze bushings on Amazon for $10 for both brake and shifter. Again, washers are also needed to keep things from being sloppy. Big difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.