Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

You got cams installed ?

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Dank 
#1 ·
I have been reading through the threads on cams a lot. As I inch closer to pulling the trigger on ordering a set of drop in cams for my first performance mod. I see where the rev limiter gets extended to 6000 or 6500 because it will get to that point a lot quicker. Which I assume is what you hit if you are riding it hard. However with the drop in cams about what rpms are you shifting when just cruising? And are you in each gear for a longer duration as the rev limiter is increased?

#2 ·
I shift at the same RPM as when the bike was stock, only when rrrrrroling trough the gears then 5000 rpm or so.... Leaving the others behind

#4 ·
Best way to answer your questions nothing really changes when cruising so I ride it as I always have.

The performance gains, not just from the cams, but from the air filter ( you have to be able to pull in the needed air for the cams ) pipes ( you have to be able to expel the spent fuels that your motor is kicking out) and last but not least, a fuel controller ( you have to provide the proper mix to the combustion chamber to make it perform the way it's supposed to without damage ).
When you say cams as your first upgrade I'm hoping that you have put some thought into all of this.
The rev limiter extension is a function of the Power Commander V. I skilled technician had access to the software on my bike and told it it was okay to do so, if you're doing this yourself I think you have to get a note from your mommy before the Power Commander folks give you access.
I've found while cruising even I'll run it up to 5900 rpm in 2nd gear just because I can then go straight to 5th or 6th depending on terrain and speed. It's a personal challenge for me to get the rear tire to break loose on acceleration.
If you are doing upgrades in stages and are just starting out I'd suggest loydz air filter, ats, good pipes ( bought or made ) and a PCV ( someone here will hook you up with a map more than likely ).
Those upgrades should put you at 90/107 or in the ballpark.
Cams and dyno tune the second stage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
I am going to buy the pcv, air filter and timing wheel also just figured I would buy the most expensive stuff first. As opposed to getting the pcv and air filter first getting it tuned. Then adding cams and going back to the dyno. With all the dyno results I have seen, I know I would not be happy unless I get the hp into the triple digits.

#7 ·
don't know what you have for a bike. But your best bet is look for a dyno tuner first. Then do the work or take it to one of the 4 guys and pay to have it done right

#9 ·
Ohhhh now i only read it is a stock bike,
yessss completely agreed,
Last but not least cams,

alllll mods as stated must be instaled before the cams .... These guys know what to do on Vic's ok mate ?? Be careful riding !!!!!

#11 ·
oh I see now,
so you're assembling all your parts with a view to having them all fitted and the bike tuned by Kyle when his travelling circus comes to town.
Great idea and Im sure your ride home will be more fun than going there.
:D

#17 ·
Looks like I did things in the correct order: timing wheel, then Hacker pipes with PCV, then torque tubes. Cams are on their way next week.

#21 ·
99.3 horse power, 114.4 foot pounds of torque.QUOTE]

99.3 HP that is super close to breaking in to the hundred horsepower club. I would have been looking for some octane booster to try and peak the number just a little more. But this why also I decided to just lock myself in for the cams.

#18 ·
Here's a thought. Just contact Kyle before hand and make arrangements to have him bring what you want. Then you can just have him do the work when you see him.

#24 ·
Kyle is from KMC powersports who took over Lloydz dyno and tuning out on the road or as Motorbikerx best descrbed it as the travelling circus. He is one of the four top guys to work on your motor. It is more feasible to many to catch him at an event than ride up to his shop in Rhode Island.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.