LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I was just going to post this if no one else had even though it's for HD touring bikes. Better warn the XCT and Vision riders there's a new badass motor in town. I just wish they could estimate the expected mileage if not raced.

Breaking News. S&S Cycle About To Launch The Biggest, Baddest, Bolt-In Engine In Stock Touring Frame. The T143.

Published by Cyril Huze November 22nd, 2014 in Customs, Engines and Events.
Official launch will be spring 2015, but you see it here and I can give you a few details. First, a few words of caution from S&S Cycle VP of Product Development Scott Sjovall “This T143 engine fits in a stock frame, and starts really well, but it is really not for everybody! Frankly, it may scare the hell out of you if you don’t have experience with high performance engines. With this kind of power, you will definitely need a stronger clutch. I guess it boils down to this: It’s really a thinly disguised race motor. It’s noisier, has more personality, and you’re not going to get 100,000 miles on it…but it sure is fun!” Scott then added, “Be careful where you point it.”
Internally, S&S Cycle nicknamed it the “Big Shorty” But its official name is the T143 Motor, a Long Block engine of, 143 cubic inches. And it’s very bad: 162 horsepower and 151 ft-lb of torque. And it bolts into a stock 2008 and later bagger chassis with absolutely no frame modifications . The B3 heads were designed specifically for this engine, optimally locating the intake and exhaust ports while still providing the correct flow. The contour of the rocker boxes has been addressed to clear the frame.The T143 Long Block does not include a fuel system, but an intake kit is available that includes a special propriatary 70mm Throttle Hog throttle body with the special ports that mate up to the new S&S B3 cylinder heads and an S&S Stealth air cleaner.
It was 11 years ago that S&S introduced the T124 and it is still the go-to choice for upgrading your late model Harley-Davidson® motorcycle . It remains a great choice today, but the T143 is about to join the party and many will want to upgrade… S&S Cycle T143 Engine.
FITMENT
• 2008-later Harley-Davidson® touring models
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Fits in stock chassis – no cutting or frame modifications
• S&S B3 cylinder heads CNC machined with 2 bolt exhaust flanges
• S&S Super Stock T2 Crankcases with reed breather valve
• 3 Piece Flywheels
• S&S high flow oil pump and cam cover
• S&S 635 Easy Start gear drive cams and S&S 1.75:1 rocker arms for .674″ total lift.
• Premium S&S lifters
• 6 months parts warranty
OPTIONS
• Wrinkle Black or Stone Gray powder coat finish
SUGGESTED ACCESSORIES
• Rocket B3 2 into 1 Exhaust System
• High Flow Injectors – S&S recommends a flow rate of 12.15 g/sec for optimal performance
• Power Vision for tuning
• Variable pressure plate add on kit for stock clutch
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Pop

Garage

I was talking with a bud that has a shop out in Washington state about this the other night.

I don't see it as earth shattering.

In 1970 you had the MoCo providing motors that had a life expectancy of maybe 50k.

Fast forward bout 50 years and through a series of technical and manufacturing improvements most engines can be expected to last double that. That's earth shattering. Improvements in muscle, economy, and longevity.

OTOH you build a wimp of a mill cheap and get 100k miles out of it, unimpressive.
You build a bulletproof powerhouse that will reliably chew up belts and chains for 100k but it costs more than its weight in gold, yeah I see it but it isn't a showstopper.
You build an evolutionary motor that turns out spanking hot numbers but you know that you can't hold it together for long enough to make it competitive with other machines over the long haul. Well, yeah that's cool but that kind of mill has been trotted out over and over. Certainly not on the scale or with the cred that S&S carries, but monster V's that shine for a season and then are gone, hell the road is littered with them.It will wow them at the track or in a burn out pit, but you ain't making any friends while they wait for the wrecker to show up with a broom and shovel to gather your bottom end off the interstate.

I posted that 300 horse Ninja the other day. Crazy stupid numbers, same Achilles heel. You just can't keep that much horse in the corral. Problem with all of us that love our twins is that any increase in output is a decrease in longevity but we do not want to accept that. You can massage some extra life into a monster with the application of beaucoup cash but that isn't the solution for 99 per cent of us either. To beat the reaper just gets to be too high a price. So S&S pumps out a product that comes with a guarantee that it will grenade. They settled on a threshold where you get to go HOLY SHIT but only for awhile. That ain't magic, that's keeping it real. What is revolutionary is that they have gotten all the money out of power and longevity that they can so the new mantra is miles be damned, full speed ahead.

Red.
Cross Country Tour.

We can't help it
We just keep moving
It's been that way since long ago
Since the stone age chasing the great herds
We mostly go where we have to go

That was written by James McMurtry
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Figuring that is crank numbers, and the typical 14% loss to the tire. We are looking at 140/130 at the back tire. HD bagger weighs in around 100lb heavier then the equivalent Vic. So the guy who buys that engine; might not like bumping up against a guy on a Vision with a 116

I'm not an asshole...I just type that way
Check us out at Southern Motorworx on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
http://www.southernmotorworx.com/index.html
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
Figuring that is crank numbers, and the typical 14% loss to the tire. We are looking at 140/130 at the back tire. HD bagger weighs in around 100lb heavier then the equivalent Vic. So the guy who buys that engine; might not like bumping up against a guy on a Vision with a 116
I think your wrong....

Look at the dyno chart, it says REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

......and all for only about $13, installed. $8000 invested in this XC, and it will own that $13,000 mill with enough left over to buy a nice used Vegas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.4 KB, 12 views)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMAXX View Post
I think your wrong....

Look at the dyno chart, it says REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER.
Hmm. Didn't notice that.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

It's a bad ass engine no doubt about it... I still wouldn't buy one unless it fit in my XC frame.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis P View Post
It's a bad ass engine no doubt about it... I still wouldn't buy one unless it fit in my XC frame.
I think you would be bucks ahead by simply bumping your Vic motor to 116" as Kevin said. I dunno if it would beat this beast but you would likely have more usable power.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

If Kevin lived here my XC would have a 116" with out a doubt.... However there isn't a shop with in a 1200 miles of me that I would trust with such work. ( I think Rylan is about 1200 miles from Calgary)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in