Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hendersonville, NC in summers and The Villages, FL in winters
My wife and I are interested in a number of hand guns. We recently complete the Florida CCW class which included about an hour of range time. Other than this, we have little experience with guns although we are strong believers in individual 2nd amendment rights. I would appreciate your opinions on the following.
We are looking to buy four guns:
1) Concealed carry gun for me - often to be worn in inside pocket of motorcycle vest when biking.
2) Concealed carry gun for my wife
3) Home protection gun
4) 22LR cal. in roughly same frame size as home protection gun for practice at lower cost for the ammo.
My opinion is that it would be simpler to get guns 1, 2, & 3 in the same caliber for ease of stocking ammo. From my limited research, 9 mm seemed the best compromise on caliber. The local gun shop told me that given our relative inexperience with guns, they recommended that all four guns should be from the same manufacturer and model line. This would give them all about the same operation, disassembly, cleaning, etc. so we would be more at ease with all of them. This seemed a wise idea. The gun shop sold many brands but recommended either the Ruger or the S&W brands. Within these, they recommended the following along with the prices they initially mentioned.
1) LC9 - my subsequent research suggests the LC9S would be better due to the much smoother and lighter trigger pull - $375
2) LC9, same as #1 but for my wife. She is a strong woman and will have no problem with the gun especially since the LC9s has the very low trigger pull.
3) SR9 - $475
4) SR22 - $390
Smith & Wesson
1) M&P Shield - Seemed too large for comfortable carry - $530
2) M&P shield, same as #1 but for my wife
3) SD9 - $350
4) M&P 22 - $400
I liked the feel of the LC9s much better as a carry weapon than the M&P Shield but did not actually get to test the trigger pull yet. I will plan to do that before actually buying should I choose that gun.
The Ruger's seemed a bit lower in cost than the S&W.
Anyway, that is what I learned in my investigation during today's visit to the gun shop, named "The Gun Shop" They also told me that they had a lifetime warranty on guns they sell (seems an incredible offer- too good to be true?) and include a year membership in their indoor range ($100 value). I would greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks and G'day,
Our patriotic stable:
Red 2012 XCT (wife's bike in NC)
Red 2012 XCT (my bike for NC)
White with custom flames 2012 XCT (wife's bike in FL)
Blue custom fire on a black 2012 XCT (my bike in FL)
2006 HD Softail Heritage (my bike when I was in MI - sold in Oct, 2017 after putting 45,000 miles and 20 states and one province on it - My first big bike and most of us will always remember our first with fond memories)