5000 mile check up - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando
Posts: 22
Default 5000 mile check up

In the next two weeks I have to take my bike in for the 5000 mile check up. I know what the owners manual calls for and I do trust my dealer. Is there anything I should double check to be the sure the dealer has performed the services on a specific item? I ask only because one of my Harley friends said he had to watch on some sort of maintenance item that the dealer didn't like to do because it was a pain to perform
Oldrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrider View Post
In the next two weeks I have to take my bike in for the 5000 mile check up. I know what the owners manual calls for and I do trust my dealer. Is there anything I should double check to be the sure the dealer has performed the services on a specific item? I ask only because one of my Harley friends said he had to watch on some sort of maintenance item that the dealer didn't like to do because it was a pain to perform
Add your bike and year to your sig to get more specific results.

There shouldn't be much to a 5k check besides oil and maybe ensuring the belt adjustment is still good. 10k you might wanna new air filter or clean the old one. 15k you need to be thinking about lubing steering head and shock bearings and changing the fork oil. Probably should bleed the brakes here if its a couple years old. This stuff needs to be repeated at 15k mile intervals. At 30k intervals you should change the plugs and fuel filter.

Ain't much more to it than that from what I can see, but I ALWAYS tell the shop exactly the services I want performed. Most things I take care of myself unless it's going to require specialized tools or more effort than I care to put into it. I don't trust that a check list for maintenance jives with what's called for in the manual.

Last time I was in I asked a tech about servicing the forks. He said most people never do that until they spring a leak. I just looked down and shook my head...




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Oldman47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,414
Default

Go ahead and shake your head but he was telling you what his experience told him.

Present ride - 2013 Victory Vision, black, ATW at +3, Lloydz air filter and adjustable intake, PC5, 30,xxx miles
Oldman47 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,946
Default

you had your bike in for the 500 mile check up and now your going to bring it back again.
If it running good save your money till you get to 30 thousand miles

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman47 View Post
Go ahead and shake your head but he was telling you what his experience told him.
I wasn't shaking my head because I thought he was lying, but

1. If he was doing maintenance by the book, he would be changing it at regular intervals on any bike he services per the mfg's recommendations, not only when a seal split. This is the primary reason why I'm always very explicit when I want something done by a shop. I wouldn't dream of just taking a bike in and saying "do the 20k service on it." Who knows what they would do or charge?

2. Doesn't say much that the avg rider has no cloo of the routine maintenance requirements of their $20k machines and let such routine things go so long.




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Member
 
20isPlenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I wasn't shaking my head because I thought he was lying, but

1. If he was doing maintenance by the book, he would be changing it at regular intervals on any bike he services per the mfg's recommendations, not only when a seal split. This is the primary reason why I'm always very explicit when I want something done by a shop. I wouldn't dream of just taking a bike in and saying "do the 20k service on it." Who knows what they would do or charge?

2. Doesn't say much that the avg rider has no cloo of the routine maintenance requirements of their $20k machines and let such routine things go so long.
This (#2) is exactly why I found this forum the very next day after buying my bike. I can do some maintenance on them, but don't really enjoy it like some do. The information available here seems to make up for my lack of it.

Stu D
USN (ret)
2010 Vision
20isPlenty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome