Heat issues?? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Utah Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saint George, Utah
Posts: 89
Default Heat issues??

Ive been spending alot of time searching for reviews, both written and video taped, and it seems the Vision's wind protection is maybe to good, and that summertime riding in the hotter places of the US are less then desireable? Here in St. George Utah, summer can be a real bear, and has been known to kick a riders butt without warning.
Rehydrating in summer goes without saying, but Im wondering what you folks in hotter areas think of the vision in hot summer weather?
Utah Ed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: JOCO KS
Posts: 632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Ed View Post
Ive been spending alot of time searching for reviews, both written and video taped, and it seems the Vision's wind protection is maybe to good, and that summertime riding in the hotter places of the US are less then desireable? Here in St. George Utah, summer can be a real bear, and has been known to kick a riders butt without warning.
Rehydrating in summer goes without saying, but Im wondering what you folks in hotter areas think of the vision in hot summer weather?

With a fuel controller, heat is not an issue at all.....

2011 Silver/black Vision, Ness Big Honkers, Ness Twin Sucker, PC-V w/AT, Lloydz VM1-DR cams, Lloydz Adj Intake, Lloydz Variable Timing Wheel.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Utah Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saint George, Utah
Posts: 89
Default

Well that makes me feel a little better, and being an ex Harley owner Im aware of heat issue in the summer.
The thing is the reviews im reading and watching are on "out of the box" stock rigs, so wouldnt the fuel control be set properly from the factory?
Also...
seems to me I read somewhere the 2012's had vents in the lowers, or am I mistaken?
Utah Ed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: JOCO KS
Posts: 632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Ed View Post
Well that makes me feel a little better, and being an ex Harley owner Im aware of heat issue in the summer.
The thing is the reviews im reading and watching are on "out of the box" stock rigs, so wouldnt the fuel control be set properly from the factory?
Also...
seems to me I read somewhere the 2012's had vents in the lowers, or am I mistaken?
The onboard computers are all set very lean to meet EPA regulations, and lean equals heat. Adding a piggy back fuel controller such as the Lloydz VFC or a Power Commander is the solution, just like in the HD realm.

2011 Silver/black Vision, Ness Big Honkers, Ness Twin Sucker, PC-V w/AT, Lloydz VM1-DR cams, Lloydz Adj Intake, Lloydz Variable Timing Wheel.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,949
Default

It only get to around a 100 here and can be very humid. I cut my panels and insulted the bottom of my seat. Gold bond power on your ass really helps if your man enough to try it.
I don't like the looks of the wind deflectors that vision rider use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.JPG (73.9 KB, 380 views)

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Utah Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saint George, Utah
Posts: 89
Default

Ahhh, ok I get the fuel controler. Would it be better to break in the motor first with say 1000 miles then have it installed along with a dyno tune?
This is what I did with my other bike, but I gotta tell ya, sitting in traffic on bike week in Laughlin tryin to get back across the bridge was no laughing matter even with the fuel control and tune...lol
Utah Ed is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
DTWOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Wyoming
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Ed View Post
Ahhh, ok I get the fuel controler. Would it be better to break in the motor first with say 1000 miles then have it installed along with a dyno tune?
This is what I did with my other bike, but I gotta tell ya, sitting in traffic on bike week in Laughlin tryin to get back across the bridge was no laughing matter even with the fuel control and tune...lol
Hello Ed,I came off a '10 Limited last Aug.72k mi. on Twin Cams since '07.I've had my Vision since Aug 22nd 3700 mi. so haven't spent a lot of time in slow traffic/high ambient temps yet so can't
give a real comparison to the heat issues.Heat does tend to pool around my legs @ stop/slow speeds but doesn't appear to be quite as bad as the 103 even after getting rid of the cat and adding the smart tuner.I was told when I bought the Vision the lower heat deflectors were a must add on but they don't do anything when you're stopped in traffic.Even with a fuel controller in your neck of the woods it's going to get warm, even a Gold Wing does. I do know the fairing on the Vision is unbeatable in cold weather and rain.

2011 Pearl White Vision
IBA #47523
DTWOR is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 33
Default

Wow. You can tell when winter sets in and people have time to think of the oddest things. It seems we need to install ACon bikes because I will tell you when it is hot outside and your on a bike it is goint to be hot and sometimes uncomfortable.
This falls in the same category as sondering why you gett wind on you while you ride. LMAO!

2011 Vision
Pearl White
bcdad is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: JOCO KS
Posts: 632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdad View Post
Wow. You can tell when winter sets in and people have time to think of the oddest things. It seems we need to install ACon bikes because I will tell you when it is hot outside and your on a bike it is goint to be hot and sometimes uncomfortable.
This falls in the same category as sondering why you gett wind on you while you ride. LMAO!
LOL Very true! I find it especially funny when someone tells me it's too windy to ride... I mean really? lol

But, there are ways to mitigate the heat. All new air cooled motorcycles are going to get hot because of how lean the EPA requires them to run. A fuel controller will drop the temps drastically because they allow the individual to alter the mixture themselves... While I have the lower deflectors on my Vision, I do not use them for cooling, I keep them turned outward to keep the wind from blasting my legs. Even with them out, my engine never gets nearly as warm as others do. Using my Power Commander 5 w/Auto Tune, I have my AFR set around 13.8 - 13.2 depending on throttle position. Bike runs great, and I still get mid 40's mpg on the highway.

2011 Silver/black Vision, Ness Big Honkers, Ness Twin Sucker, PC-V w/AT, Lloydz VM1-DR cams, Lloydz Adj Intake, Lloydz Variable Timing Wheel.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
DTWOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Wyoming
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdad View Post
Wow. You can tell when winter sets in and people have time to think of the oddest things. It seems we need to install ACon bikes because I will tell you when it is hot outside and your on a bike it is goint to be hot and sometimes uncomfortable.
This falls in the same category as sondering why you gett wind on you while you ride. LMAO!
I don't know what's so odd about it.A guy looking for an intelligent opinion or comparison from someone who might know what he's talking about.

2011 Pearl White Vision
IBA #47523
DTWOR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome