Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Question/Problem with underdrive pulley( pics inside )

15K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  rhino 2 
#1 ·
Ok just recieved my underdrive pulley and it is quite rusty? The pics on vendors site make them look like there polished or chrome, maybe I'm picky but om not interested in putting $400.00 rusty parts on my bike.

Second problem is that 10 of the teeth (all consecutive) have a weird machining/tool marks on them the rest are smooth and rusty! Lol

First pic of rust

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Pic of teeth with tool marks on them

Attachments

#4 ·
Could be old stock where the oil coating got rubbed off. Not going to affect performance. Is it going to be exposed or under the OEM cover?
Have you brought your concerns up to your vendor?

As far as the machine marks, I personally wouldn't worry about them but if it bothers you then definitely contact your vendor.

#5 ·
Sent them an email today no response yet.

Yah it just seems weird to put bare metal on just to rust behind a cover.
When I pull the cover off am I going to find the stock unit all rusty?

Anyone see any problem having it coated maybe with one of those super hard self lubricating coatings used on guns? I forget the names of them but my Glocks are custom EXO coated from Talo.

Or should I just sand and paint it to prevent future rust.

#7 ·
I would agree. It prob doesn't look much different in finish from the stock unit. Which I doubt is coated in Amy fashion.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks BP6666VR I hadn't seen that post.

Nice to know I'm not the only one bothered by the rust, I will defiantly be powder coating it.

I do tend to over do or over think things as some have said but that's me and this is my first brand new Victory so I have a little more pride in this bike than I have my past bikes so there won't be any rusty parts installed on it even if it can't be seen.

#23 · (Edited)
Yes mate, we ordered 3

1 for vision ( see link post # 11 ) the pulley was installed & taken-off after 3 only weeks by vic mechanic coz the spline tooth bend of the UD pulley, NOT the spline of course, I have send extensive E-mail communication for many months & many pictures to WD trying to get a refund for the Vision pulley, NO LUCK .... Not the nicest answer ..

1 for hardball ( never install coz of de vision spline tooth deformation ) the owner of this bike is the owner of Victory & Ducati Batam Indonesia

1 for Jackpot, i painted it with primer, i got the HD belt at home now .. And i WILL install ... Making my man-cave first ..

#24 · (Edited)
The fabricator is a member on this site, and the vender's are WD & Conquest Customs

The original pulley is electrolyzed, the UD pulley you just sand it down smooth and decrease it / epoxy primer it .... Not the spline & belt area
Finished and ride ......

#15 ·
When you power coat them will the pulley still fit on the spine, And will the coating on the teeth abrade the belt..?? Or is there a way to keep the coating off those two spots??

#18 · (Edited)
What does this underdrive pulley do to your speedometer? I assume it would show you going faster than actual... I am intrigued by this, I don't need top-end speed and I could use the extra torque.

[EDIT] Is it as simple as removing the 2 fewer teeth from the equation? E.g. 65MPH w/ 33T will be an actual 61MPH w/ 31T - does this make sense?

#19 ·
That pulley looks fine. It wouldn't make sense to coat it with anything. If the minor surface rust bothers you that much, why not just scuff it off with some emery cloth and install it. I'm pretty sure once installed it will just get shiny where the belt runs on it and the sides will accumulate dirt over time.

#20 ·
are you sure you want to lose top end by 15 or 20 mph.
at 60 mph the sound of your rpms will be like your in 4th gear.

Dakota digital makes a box for calibrating your speed-o

#21 ·
I think that's a little extreme Visionjohnny if you have not had one please let those who have speak.

Half crazy has explained this in depth just search for underdrive

I can't speak as I haven't installed it yet but if you like lugging your bike and riding at 2500 rpm or less don't get one. If your not scared to run down the highway at 3000 rpm and be in the power band of the engine then get one. I spent a few weeks on the highway in 5th at 80 mph and now I just can't use 6th anymore my bike was singing a pretty song in 5th and felt like a dog in 6th. I also have read that a few guys claim to get better gas mileage not using 6th and running higher rpm's.

I ride 2up a lot and want more low end power also I have a lot of traffic near me and I find that Victory's just plain suck in stop and go traffic. first gear is too tall and I'm constantly on and off the clutch. Also I ended up at a stop sign on a very steep hill while 2up and I was revving it hard and feathering the clutch and still felt like I was going to stall.

#37 ·
Theres Power coating on the spine and teeth, I would think at least it would have to be removed so as to fit on the the shaft, And on the teeth it might also have to be removed??

#26 ·
Does anyone have any experience or advice on how this would affect a trike?

#27 ·
I think it would do great on a trike, but I don't know if the trike builder already uses a larger pulley. Lots more mass on a trike would benefit from the reduction in my opinion.

#28 ·
I'll have to check the rear pulley on the trike and see if it has the same number of teeth as the stock one. The front pulley doesn't change when converting to a trike.

#29 ·
I meant rear pulley; didn't think they would have changed the front one ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.