Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Clutch

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  visionjohnny 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone, I have been thinking about adding a Hyrdualic clutch to my 2011 cross country. I have some vicbagger bars on the bike, is there a kit that is still available to do this?

#2 ·
if you can find one your going to need a longer line witch is the same as a brake line.
Number one trick is to bench bleed master cylinder before hooking line up to it.

#5 ·
A longer line isn't necessarily needed. I just ran my hose down the left side of the frame instead of the right side. Fits perfectly.

And yes, bleed the thing before you mount it. Much easier that way; I did mine the hard way...

#8 ·
Why are you wanting a hydraulic clutch? If it for a lighter pull, there are simpler and cheaper ways such as an E-Z Pull and a Barnett cable assembly. I've done that and those with hyd. clutches are amazed at how light my lever pull is. Like a 250 cc bike.
Hyd. can be difficult to adjust and cause clutch burn-out if not done right.

Reactions: Blowndodge
#10 ·
I placed an E-Z Pull I got from Witchdoctors onto the clutch pivot and a Barnett cable assembly. The result is a very light pull compared to the original. Makes this old guy a happy biker.

#12 ·
If you are going to do both, contact me about how I got the clutch sheath and cable to align at the lower end. Its import the cable comes out straight.

#15 ·
Sorry everyone for my lack of responding, but I have been away for work and on vacation and I could not sign in on my ipad for some reason. I was thinking that the hydraulic clutch might be better for long term use, I figured it was easier to adjust as well. If none of these are true I wont mess with it at all.

#16 ·
What sort of adjustment are you talking about? My understanding is that a hydraulic clutch has no adjustment possible and, fortunately, no adjustment needed.

G'day,

Vinish

#17 ·
it was mentioned that they were hard to adjust in an earlier post.

#18 ·
I was working on a friend's XC with a hydraulic clutch conversion and the clutch was not completely releasing. I don't recall how I did it (so don't ask) but I found a way through improvising to get the pivot to seat. I do remember I pulled out the pivot and rotated it a notch, but I don't know what I did after that. I consider the hyd. clutch and the reverse more of a PITA than a benefit.

#19 ·
Thanks RICZ,
I have an EZ clutch pull on its way from Witchdoctor.

Reactions: RICZ
#20 ·
Order the Barnett cable assembly while you're at it and you will be amazed at the ease of the new lever pull. Worth every penny.

#21 ·
RICZ,
I got my EZ clutch from witch doctor and installed it. Had no problems with the install and adjustment. Clutch pulled very nice, but now a few times after it warms up on a ride the clutch will not quite disengage at a stop sign. I checked the adjustment and free play is okay. Have you had this problem come up? it is like the clutch is not pulling in far enough.
Thanks,

#22 ·
Yes I have had this occur, trying to get it into neutral after its hot. I adjust the cable just so there is a wee bit of free play (less than spec though) and that helps. One should keep it in gear at stoplights in the event one needs to get the hell out of the place they are in fast. Such as a car coming up fast on your six.
P.S. Is the cable in a straight alignment with the sheath at the bottom?

#23 ·
Yes, I had to put a washer to correct it. I just do not like the tuging the bike tries to do at a stop light, I have to hold the brake to much. I am thinking of taking the EZ clutch off.

#26 ·
My CR had the EZ Clutch on it when I bought it used so I had no idea how difficult the clutch was to operate with out one until a few years ago I was at a rally. I saw a Vic CC and just had to try the clutch. Good Lord, I could not believe how difficult it was to operate. I could never ride that bike any distance. Thank goodness, my EZ clutch has been working perfectly for years. I do check the play often and I very seldom have to readjust it. 1/16" at the perch.

#27 ·
Well its only $195 dollars for new plates. Maybe $200 bucks to have them installed along with a oil change.
Or take off the ez pull and ride it. The longest you have to pull in the clutch is at a stop light and thats not that long.

#29 ·
Wait 'til you're 80 and on an all day ride in the twisties, doing a lot of shifting, and in the afternoon of said ride your hand cramps and/or your fingers decide to do their own grotesque things. I'll do whatever it takes to keep me riding. Here I am riding a cruiser - a style I disliked for almost 60 years, but I needed a lower seat height and CofG if I was to continue riding and an E-Z Pull with a Barnett cable is now part of that prescription too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.