Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Turning into a Harley,Trumpy, 650 Yammy!

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Motorbikerx 
#1 ·
Today noticed what looked like oil seepage from oil cooler connections, took photos but then looked higher and sure enough the oil was coming from above and dropping onto the cooler.
Headgasket on front cylinder is weeping oil:| not a lot but enough to be a concern..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nooooooooo ..... MbX looks like you blew a gasket..... That cannot be good news, you have spend so much time and money on that bike....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#3 ·
Just a bit of an oil leak mate. Thats all.
Not the end of the world
Owned plenty bikes that leaked oil from that exact same spot...never fazed them.
Take a chill pill Andre.

#6 ·
Hey @ BP6666VR you did your own cams on your steel frame.
Do you think theres enough clearance on the front cylinder to get the rocker cover off and retorque that head ?
Could be worth a try?

I got a 2000 kms (1200 mile) trip to Bathurst and back next week to flag marshall at Mt Panorama for the Super Sprints.
One of the rewards for us first time trainee flag marshalls is to be taken on a lap around the mountain track in a V8 Supercar:devil
https://youtu.be/kLkLtBkUVuo

Reactions: half_crazy
#7 · (Edited)
You can take the Front cylinder cover of, NO PROBLEM..... maybe you have to remove the TT, maybe not....

so the answer is:

Y
E
S

It is tight but no problem, then maybe you can get a small tourqe wrench in there...

Rear cylinder cover I had to drop de block, that was a real Bit@$ but worth it....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#8 ·
Heres the layout of the head gaskets as theyre orientated on the bike.
Also a close up of one head gasket, the old ones that came off.
What I thought were tiny oil holes actually sit proud (outside) the engine..
Wonder if the main studs are oil drains?

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Want the good news,
or the good news?
Went to my mates shop that did the engine and the young bloke there pointed out it was coming from up higher running onto the back of the fin then forward downhill (even Downunder stuff runs downhill) :smile
Looking higher we see the remote breather that goes on the crankcase breather tube when I fitted the Torque-tubes.
Cos my engines starting to burn a little oil I been maintaing it at the upper limit...
And its pumping it out when Im flogging the absolute fark out of it (cams and a dragstrip sorta encourage that)
So good news all round really.
Moral of the story best to run a little under full on dipstick if ya got a sports intake with remote breather.
Probably best to regardless actually...

#11 · (Edited)
You need to do "this" setup then

Sooooo from where to where does your crank breather run?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#12 ·
Well yes but not as obvious as your setup.
Mine now just up on top of the engine in behind the lhs cheese wedge basically attached the filter supplied with Torque-tubes to the end of the original hose .

#13 ·
cleaned up all the oil I could get to with the tank still on, sprayed with brake cleaner then water then went over everything with detail spray.
Lubed my gear linkage pivot points as well as rear brake lever and side-stand.
Pulled spark plugs for a look, firing tips are fine but black fluffy around first turn of thread.
Tired...off to bed

#14 · (Edited)
My bike has a little K&N filter on the end of the breather hose up under the tank inside the frame tubes. The bike has been that way for years and has never used a drop of oil (enough to show on the dipstick, anyway). There is a little oil mist mess to clean off that area above the rear head when I have the tank off, but it's never been enough to drip down.

If I had to guess, running it with the oil level full or a bit over-full will cause the engine to (excuse the not very technical jargon) push out what it doesn't want (added crankcase pressure).

When I drain the oil, I lean the bike left and hold it a while then back on the stand, hold it up straight a while... just to make sure I get as much oil to drain out as possible. I fill the new oil filter with oil before I screw it on, then I fill the crankcase with the rest of that quart and 3 more... plus 12 ounces from the 5th quart. It's just barely under the full mark every time I check it. Never changes. This thing has always been like that. Lloyd and Kyle both said the same thing... how amazing it is that these things don't use oil, even in high compression versions that are beaten by the rider like they owe him money (read: me).

After 28 passes down the 1/4 mile in the 90+ degrees F heat... with 92,000 miles on the odometer... the oil level is still right where it was and I got 34 mpg on that tank of fuel. Unfuckingbelievable these Victory engines, men. Impressive to say the least.

I am so saddened by the management at Polaris deciding to can the brand. Makes me feel ill. There was SO MUCH MORE potential in these things than they took advantage of. All it would take is some minor refinement to their basic mill to have something with a lot less engine noise that is even more efficient, reliable, and strong.... and lopes at idle like a pro-stock drag car... ASSHOLES!!!

#18 ·
Blue and orange are complimentary colours yes.
Not what Id do but it looks great on your bike mate.
Ill keep that level a tad low from now on.
Never used a drop before the big bore and my firing tips on the spark plugs dont indicate any oil burn.
Believe me Ive had oil burners before and theyd oil foul the plugs to the degree Id fit much hotter lawn mower 2 stroke plugs and still have to clean em every 100 miles and run on used oil strained out!
The cloud of smoke behind my van when accelerating away from the bottom of a downhill run had to be seen to be believed....

No my plugs are fine..bit of soot on the first ring of thread from idling but thats to be expected.
The long run to Bathurst for the races will soon let me know...I will carry a couple of litres just in case but the last 1100kms no real drop of level.
First real roadtrip since I bought the bike and rode it back from Melbourne 1200 miles (2000kms)
Looking forward to it as well as the racing and being right on the fence flag marshalling...then the ride in the V8 SuperCar at the end.
Over Mt Panorama Bathurst !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.