Stored oil ok to use? T6 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Default Stored oil ok to use? T6

I have a partial gallon left from my oil change last year. In my area Rotella only comes in gallons. Is it ok to use the leftovers from last year in the bike? Can I use whats left and add to it or should I just use it to top off after a new gallon?

2006 Victory Vegas 8ball Santa Rosa Ripper exhaust, Thirdgear intake, Power Commander 3
I live in beautiful Mount Shasta Calif. Where heaven and Earth meet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 AM
NAB
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I personally would use it. Some people will say you let moisture in it when it's been opened. But I don't think it's enough to hurt it. I always insure the lid is on tied and use it at the next oil change.
rojo154, visionjohnny and PaiN like this.

Riding: 2011 XC
Sold: 2003 Vegas
Totaled: 2003 TC, But it's still on the road.
Sold: 2004 TC
This is Just the list of Victory's. I have also rode and owned Honda's, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Harley's. Some old European bike. Can't remember the name. It was a 3 speed and I started riding on a 50cc bike that Sears sold. Some time around 1967. I have had my motorcycle license since 1969.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I'd use it. Now if it were 3 or more years old and the lid had been taken off; then I'd dump it or use it for building an engine or on the bearings of my swamp cooler or some other lube need not in an engine. Synthetic motor oil is the very best lube I've found for that and it doesn't care if the oil is old. Just don't use used oil.

They say oil stays fresh enough for many years if it hasn't been opened. In this case this oil is still fairly new but the opened oil container will be mixed with brand new unopened container oil so no worries. Especially if you're changing your oil ever year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM

There is no problem with "leftover" oil, it's OK to use, UNLESS it's in Northern California and over 500' in altitude.

2010 Midnight Cherry XR. 7Jurock, Lloydz AF, ATS, AFR tuned VFCIII, IAV, and T-6 and locally repacked pipes = big smiles. SOLD to a dear friend, so it's still in the family."
2017 Spyder F3 Limited - keeps this old guy in the wind and riding with friends.
Cure that ugly stand up license plate with the cheapest and best laydown bracket. Click this:
https://www.victoryforums.com/11-ven...t-x-bikes.html
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 PM

in winter states and you store it in the garage its not a good idea. Yes condensation will get in.
Just like spray paint. Bring the stuff along with wax in the house for the winter

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage

I would not be concerned one bit. I got a 2-1/2 jug of rotella that I am sure will still be around well into next year. At work oil was bought by the 50 gallon drum. It would be transferred to vented containers in a rack system and sit there forever, never an issue. So I don't see something in a capped plastic container having a problem with water. I would bet that oil would be perfectly fine after 20 years.
PaiN likes this.

2011 Kingpin
custom paint
Ness fly bars
xbow exhaust
S&S air intake
Dobeck fuel controller
chrome floorboards
cruise control

2004 Kingpin
Victory performance exhaust
customized air box / K+N filter
LLoydz fuel controller
custom oil lines
custom led lighting
custom led third brake lights
Sold ..( my baby, still have some sellers remorse)

2011 XC
rpw exhaust
wiseco fuel controller
Sold
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 PM

For millions of years it was in the ground before being sucked up to the surface and put into blue jugs? What's a few months?
Motorbikerx and CanuckRob like this.

2010 Midnight Cherry XR. 7Jurock, Lloydz AF, ATS, AFR tuned VFCIII, IAV, and T-6 and locally repacked pipes = big smiles. SOLD to a dear friend, so it's still in the family."
2017 Spyder F3 Limited - keeps this old guy in the wind and riding with friends.
Cure that ugly stand up license plate with the cheapest and best laydown bracket. Click this:
https://www.victoryforums.com/11-ven...t-x-bikes.html
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers. Ride safe all!
CanuckRob likes this.

2006 Victory Vegas 8ball Santa Rosa Ripper exhaust, Thirdgear intake, Power Commander 3
I live in beautiful Mount Shasta Calif. Where heaven and Earth meet.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Location: World Citizen = A peaceful and peacemaking individual, both in daily life and contacts with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
For millions of years it was in the ground before being sucked up to the surface and put into blue jugs? What's a few months?
And the winner is ? RICZZZZZZ

ha ha ha good one ...

Anyway lets say it is humid outside, you went for a ride, and park your bike at home, just so you know, water content is in your parked bike oil, when your engine warms up, it evaporates, it really doesnt matter ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk
RICZ and CanuckRob like this.

JACKPOT 2013 orange MADNESS :-) *HOH-VM1-DR*TachoMeter*PowCom-5*AutoTune*ATS*TorTube & (IAC) & nitro*Swept exhaust*LYNDALL & EBC brakes Front & Rear*Stainless Beads*Fwd Contr 4" *2 x Bad Boy Air Horn*Seven Color Lizard*NGK plugs*Blue Spark Plug Wir*Victory Oil*KN Oil filter*Oil Analysis*Clutch Cover*Kickst Repl Rubb*Invisble-A-Key*L.E.D. Batt. Gauge*Pulsating Brake Light*VictoryHID*Lice Bracket OVAL*BoltKit-Chrome*

Cross Country Tour 2014 [B]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:57 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
Hey Ricz, will it still be OK if they put it in black jugs? You've got me worried................
CanuckRob likes this.

2013 Hard Ball
Stage 1 mufflers
K&N air filter
Rubber air dam removed
Reflash
Whole lot of extra cable ties, shrinkwrap and tape on loom
Hard chrome spherical joints in back
Hammer front guard
Wide Glide fork boots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in