Cold weather oil engine temp - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,845
Default Cold weather oil engine temp

I rode my usual 25 miles to work this morning and it was low/mid 30s and the engine oil temp didn't even reach 150. Does it really matter?
or should I block off 1/2 of the cooler? I had an old 79' Shovelhead I used to block the cooler off on it during the winter but it was designed to be only air cooled without a cooler where the Vic isn't. Seems weird they don't put a thermostat on them.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,938
Default

back when Vic came out with the 92's they found the oil wouldn't get hot enough so they made the cooler smaller.
Yes I think your hurting your bike not getting the oil warm enough.
Tell me how do you know its warm enough to leave the drive way

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Premium Member
 
dtmmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawley MN
Posts: 4,178
Default

I block my cooler off as much as i can when it gets cold. My old bike would get milky oil from not getting hot enough.

I let mine warm up enough to get my helmet and gloves on, make sure the throttle responds and go. My first mile is slow gravel so its a good warm up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

currently bikeless

2012 Cross Country(Imp blue)
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, Miller Mufflers short baffles,Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(6*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
back when Vic came out with the 92's they found the oil wouldn't get hot enough so they made the cooler smaller.
Yes I think your hurting your bike not getting the oil warm enough.
Tell me how do you know its warm enough to leave the drive way
I'll start by blocking off 1/2 the cooler. I didn't have a temp guage last year. I searched for a thermostat to add on and nothing, I bet if someone came out with one they would sell a lot of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmmil View Post
I block my cooler off as much as i can when it gets cold. My old bike would get milky oil from not getting hot enough.

I let mine warm up enough to get my helmet and gloves on, make sure the throttle responds and go. My first mile is slow gravel so its a good warm up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Same here it runs a couple minutes.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,845
Default

I'll see where it runs in the morning.


2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
slickvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,728
Default Hot Bike !

There is a good article in the Jan 14 edition of Hot Bike. It's called Hot Sparks. It relates mostly to ignition upgrades but also states that most riders don't give their bikes enough warm up time in cold weather. Jamie Hanson From "Speeds Performance Plus" had this to say:

"Besides barely giving that bike enough time to build up oil pressure, bad enough on a late model EFI bike. "That get up and go is pretty much a guarantee for fouled plugs, black as coal!" "The computer is still in its warm up mode." "It's like riding off with the choke full on."

Commuting 25 miles one would think the oil could reach normal or close to normal temp. At least 200 degrees by the time you get to 10 miles or so. I never rode a bike in 30 degree weather though so I cant help with a suggestion other than trying a longer warm up time. Let's say 10 min. Blocking the oil cooler is a good idea. Out of curiosity what are you measuring the oil temp with?

2011 Cross Country. D&D's wrapped - VM1DR cams - PC5 - LLoyds high performance filter and ATS (Adjustable Timing system). Power output 115HP/115FTLBS tuned by KMC. Klock Werks flip shield - RF/PBR300x4 amp - Hertz HCX 6.5's - Victory 6X9 Magnum Lids - Victory XM - HMD Black Pull Backs with Victory performance grips. PIAA Led3 driving lights. accessories from Arlen ness - Witch Doctors - Noemtz Designs - Kuryakyn. Blacked out treatment powder Coat by PPC Stuart fl.
slickvic is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,938
Default

cover the hole cooler top bottom sides its not going to hurt in colder weather. Maybe wrap it in leather.
With your bare hand put it on rear cylinder and feel the heat of the cylinder. When it gets warm to the touch cylinder and head your motor might be ready to go.
You know if the motor doesn't warm up enough you can blow out a cylinder base gasket.

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic View Post
There is a good article in the Jan 14 edition of Hot Bike. It's called Hot Sparks. It relates mostly to ignition upgrades but also states that most riders don't give their bikes enough warm up time in cold weather. Jamie Hanson From "Speeds Performance Plus" had this to say:

"Besides barely giving that bike enough time to build up oil pressure, bad enough on a late model EFI bike. "That get up and go is pretty much a guarantee for fouled plugs, black as coal!" "The computer is still in its warm up mode." "It's like riding off with the choke full on."

Commuting 25 miles one would think the oil could reach normal or close to normal temp. At least 200 degrees by the time you get to 10 miles or so. I never rode a bike in 30 degree weather though so I cant help with a suggestion other than trying a longer warm up time. Let's say 10 min. Blocking the oil cooler is a good idea. Out of curiosity what are you measuring the oil temp with?
It's just on of those dip stick gauges and I know they aren't very accurate but they do give you an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
cover the hole cooler top bottom sides its not going to hurt in colder weather. Maybe wrap it in leather.
With your bare hand put it on rear cylinder and feel the heat of the cylinder. When it gets warm to the touch cylinder and head your motor might be ready to go.
You know if the motor doesn't warm up enough you can blow out a cylinder base gasket.
Being garage kept it's not that cold in the morning startup my garage is probably 40 and after work it's in the 50-60 range.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Premium Member
 
dtmmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawley MN
Posts: 4,178
Default

Mine is garage kept also, and my old bike, that would get milky oil, my ride was 35 miles one way, running at 4500 rpms tge whole way, with a laser temp gun would show 150-160°oil temps when it waa cold out. I never checked my xc temp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

currently bikeless

2012 Cross Country(Imp blue)
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, Miller Mufflers short baffles,Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(6*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,845
Default

I just went 30 give or take and it hit 210 but it's 45 outside.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome