Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Engine Gets Hot.. 😞

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  BP6666VR 
#1 ·
Hi all! Just bought an 08 vision so I am relatively new to this. I am a 5'5", 23 YO woman. I live in florida so aside from the bike heat, it already gets pretty hot. But I feel a significant amount of heat come off the engine near my calves (they feel like they are being burned next to it..) .. Is this normal?

#2 ·
I am a 5'5", 23 YO woman.
A woman!?! On a Vision!!! That's badass!

I mean no disrespect. We just don't see many women on a Vision. Heck, we don't see that many Visions period.

As to the heat....yes, pretty normal. You're sitting over a motor and are on a bike with great wind splitting so you can feel more of the heat.

I take it the bike doesn't have lower wind deflectors? I'll add a pic so you know what I'm talking about. If it's does you just need to adjust them. If it doesn't you make want to start hunting that unicorn.

If you don't have lowers just kick your feet out toward the edge of the floorboards. This will cool you down on the open road. In traffic you're going to feel it and being in Texas I know. Good pants and high leather boots will help shield you.

Attachments

#3 ·
I am a 5'5", 23 YO woman.
A woman!?! On a Vision!!! That's badass!

I mean no disrespect. We just don't see many women on a Vision. Heck, we don't see that many Visions period.

As to the heat....yes, pretty normal. You're sitting over a motor and are on a bike with great wind splitting so you can feel more of the heat.

I take it the bike doesn't have lower wind deflectors? I'll add a pic so you know what I'm talking about. If it's does you just need to adjust them. If it doesn't you make want to start hunting that unicorn.

If you don't have lowers just kick your feet out toward the edge of the floorboards. This will cool you down on the open road. In traffic you're going to feel it and being in Texas I know. Good pants and high leather boots will help shield you.
Haha, no disrespect taken. Wanted a big bike and I got one. I want to ride to visit friends in orlando, Miami, etc abd they're about two to three hours. Figured it was a solid touring bike.

I have the smaller one but the lower one in your picture I dont have. I feel relief when I literally let me legs hang off the side of the bike, anywhere on the floorboard my calves still get pretty warm. Could you provide a link perhaps to a good lower deflector so I can keep my options open?

Do you suggest any type of riding pants to reflect the heat? That will at least help relieve some of it!

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!

#4 ·
Haha, no disrespect taken. Wanted a big bike and I got one. I want to ride to visit friends in orlando, Miami, etc abd they're about two to three hours. Figured it was a solid touring bike.

I have the smaller one but the lower one in your picture I dont have. I feel relief when I literally let me legs hang off the side of the bike, anywhere on the floorboard my calves still get pretty warm. Could you provide a link perhaps to a good lower deflector so I can keep my options open?

Do you suggest any type of riding pants to reflect the heat? That will at least help relieve some of it!

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!
The small deflector is factory. The lower one was a Victory accessory. The issue is with the closing of Victory the lowers have become extremely hard to find...hence my unicorn hunting comment. Keep an eye out and I will too, you may get lucky.

You have another option with Baker Air Wings but my issue with them is they are not very good looking and they have to be screwed in the bikes panel for the install. The Victory ones use a 3m tape to mount them.

As for pants any good denim will help but for a pair of actual riding jeans their women's model is on sale at a great price.

https://www.gusset.com/sale/woman-s-defender-motorcycle-jean

Reactions: Victory Joe 1961
#5 ·
Welcome aboard, the Vision is a great bike but given its all oil and air cooled it will radiate heat when not moving particularly in the Florida heat. Make sure you run good gas in it and change the oil over to synthetic Shell T6 oil

#6 ·
This is going to sound weird, but I always have an underlayer under my riding jeans. Even if its just longjohns. In hot weather, I wear Cycle Gear's Heat-Out and in winter, Cycle Gear's Freeze-Out.
The longies under my riding jeans help to insulate me from engine heat. Its a huge air cooled engine fer crying out loud and its going to throw off a lot more heat.
You must really work out hard to be able to wield around that 900 pound behemoth. I'm 5-10 and 190 and its too much for me. But then, I'm over 80.

Reactions: Victory Joe 1961
#10 ·
The lower air deflector is the single most important accessory you can put on a Vision. They should have come standard. They will transform the comfort of the bike. Find them if you can. You will be happy you did.

Reactions: Shock Happens
#11 ·
You're welcome and YES...finally last couple days been in the 80s and 90s been putting the boot to it 8) as the farmers say ...make hay while the sun's shining!!!! 8)

Ride safe and enjoy your new victory...Looking forward to seeing a pic of it!!

Rob

#12 ·
Hi
The lowers are hard to find. There were some in plastic and some in metal. Lots of them would fall off cause the double side tape would let loose.
You might want sheepskin or wood beads even airhawk to keep your butt cool. Of coarse gold bond powder all over helps.
Say on the front fender on the inside are that the 6 mm button head screws dealers found would be loose and fenders would fall off.
There is a shop in FL. that has one of the top Vic mechanic's in the country.
He's Kevinx his shop is. Hes on facebook look him up if your on there.
Say if you didn't get owners book you can read about your great bike here. Sorry Vic;s web page doesn't list 08 but 09 is the same.

http://cdn-gen.polaris.com/polaris/...15.337624715.1529345825-2052638660.1513640521

17708 High Springsw Main St
High Springs, Florida

@kevinxsouthernmotorworx

Call (352) 215-3253

#14 ·
Says who?

I give you exhibit A, B, C, and D.

Attachments

Reactions: RICZ
#15 ·
Sorry I'm late to the discussion... one solution that hasn't been mentioned is chaps.
There are perforated leather chaps for summer ridin' and full leather or lined chaps for other seasonal ridin'.
Ya see Harley riders in their pirate attire: bandana, vest, n' leather chaps.
Harley engines are air cooled as well.
I'm goin' on my 4th summer with burnin' calves, and I have lowers, so I commiserate with ya.
I've ruined a good pair of shark-skin Nocona's 'cuz of those pipes.
Presently, I'm toyin' with the idea of glass rappin' 'n silicone paintin' the headers (front pipes) to reduce the heat.

#16 ·
Maybe a engine heat shield like this will help you ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.