Christian Religion and Modern Sience - Page 11 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 76Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #101 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,913
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broggyr View Post
As far as “Why are we here?” I simply chalk it up to a huge coincidence. I believe there is no “why” at all, it’s “just because” a certain occurrence of phenomena in a certain order produced a certain result. We won the galactic lottery, if you will.

The odds of this occurring just so has got to be so staggeringly tiny, but the fact we exist says to me that it’s possible. Naysayers hate this argument, but if it had happened any other way, it wouldn’t have turned out this way.

It may be a very simplistic view, and those who believe there has to be a reason we exist will continue to look for that reason. However, I don’t see any reason for there to be a “why” to our existence. It just is.

Does that mean life is ultimately meaningless? Probably.

It doesn’t mean we can’t make the best of it.
Free will means we all have the ability to form our own opinions. I may think someone is wrong for thinking a certain way but I would fight for his right to do it because I believe in a free society.

One area that bothers me is free speech. Rather those who don't want it bother me. There's really no such thing as hate speech as long as it doesn't do harm; then it crosses a line into an action and goes beyond speech. It's a tough thing to nail down but there are teams of people working on it on the free and open forums (this isn't one). Gab is one though. Twatter and Fecesbook are most definitely not. Free and open doesn't mean no limits though and that's where being a moderator becomes difficult but terms of use do help even on a free and open forum.

Ultimately we have the right and ability to ignore those we abhor or we can play with them for fun.

The EU is becoming a police state. You can't even talk negatively about certain subjects without risking legal trouble. Canada is following in that terrible policy it seems. More in some areas than others from what I've read. In other words they are banning free speech.

Back to the subject; I have no idea how this entire thing with life started on this planet and neither does anyone else - for sure. They have conjecture, they have faith and scripture, and some claim to have science which I doubt the most because their study released today will be refuted by another study released next week. Science is only as good as the information available at the time and/or the bias in which it is used and that is constantly changing so I take all science with huge grain of salt.

Merry Christmas!!
BBob is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAB View Post
Some day we may find a planet with primitive man on it. We well send our people there and probably be looked at as gods descending form the heavens.


Now you can take those 2 sentences and make the story go many ways. The thing is all nations have some kind of god. Now the Jewish, Muslim and Christian religions all have the same God but all branch off in different directions. The Jews and Muslims recognize Jesus as a prophet not as the savior. Now that is the majority of the world.
We already have a pretty good understanding of the planets within our travel range and there is nothing there yet. We figure out traveling at the speed of light, then perhaps. Right now it is like we are on an electric car, range is absolute and to get the farthest away it would be a one way trip. Perhaps I will buy Bobby a ticket! lol

2005 Vegas 8-Ball
Vancouver Island BC

Last edited by bc8ball; 12-02-2018 at 02:36 PM.
bc8ball is offline  
post #103 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAB View Post
Some day we may find a planet with primitive man on it. We well send our people there and probably be looked at as gods descending form the heavens.


Now you can take those 2 sentences and make the story go many ways. The thing is all nations have some kind of god. Now the Jewish, Muslim and Christian religions all have the same God but all branch off in different directions. The Jews and Muslims recognize Jesus as a prophet not as the savior. Now that is the majority of the world.
Imagine how difficult it would be for a man from 1918 to wrap his mind around the technology we have in 2018. Only 100 years for such huge advances...

Now, suppose there was a civilization 10,000 years older than ours. They are so advanced that they travel through vast space and end up here. Imagine what they know and understand about the universe. If we showed them our bible as the story of our origin and of our beliefs, do you think they'd be impressed by how smart we are and how much we know?

Just let that sink in....

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #104 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
I have no idea how this entire thing with life started on this planet and neither does anyone else - for sure. They have conjecture, they have faith and scripture, and some claim to have science which I doubt the most because their study released today will be refuted by another study released next week. Science is only as good as the information available at the time and/or the bias in which it is used and that is constantly changing so I take all science with huge grain of salt.
Please, oh wise one, suggest to us a better method of finding out what is true.

Should we use a self-correcting method that relies on the latest and best information we can obtain, or should we just say, "We don't need no dang book learnin' " and rely on our intuition and opinions?

Please, enlighten us poor, scientific minded, idiots...

Do we throw away what science has given us because we may make new discoveries tomorrow that make our current understanding obsolete?
Do we adhere to 2000 year old rules and regulations like "Don't suffer a witch to live" even though we know fucking well that witches are not real?

Have you ever put a moment of thought into the shit that comes flyin' out your pie hole?

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.

Last edited by half_crazy; 12-02-2018 at 07:46 PM.
half_crazy is offline  
post #105 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,913
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
Please, oh wise one, suggest to us a better method of finding out what is true.

Should we use a self-correcting method that relies on the latest and best information we can obtain, or should be just say, "We don't need no dang book learnin' " and rely on our intuition and opinions?

Please, enlighten us poor, scientific minded, idiots...

Do we throw away what science has given us because we may make new discoveries tomorrow that make our current understanding obsolete?
Do we adhere to 2000 year old rules and regulations like "Don't suffer a witch to live" even though we know fucking well that witches are not real?

Have you ever put a moment of thought into the shit that comes flyin' out your pie hole?
Have you always been this rude, ugly, worthless, self-centered, asshole? I think you have. I think you were born like this and it just got worse as you got older. I knew kids like you when I was a kid. We called them "bullies" back then. Bullies always grew up to be just like you are today. Bigger bullies.

No wonder you're so miserable and unhappy in your life. No wonder you attempt to justify your existence by putting others down. You think it makes you superior when in fact it just makes you look small and insignificant which is all you are and ever have been.

No; you're not always right. No; your opinion is not the only one.

Your massive hubris is only outweighed by your massive narcissism.

Your one wish right now is that we were face to face so you could punch me just like when you were back in school being that younger bully version of today's full grown bully.

I wouldn't trade places with you for all the tea in China. Nothing is worth being that miserable.

For whatever reason you have chosen to pollute this forum just like you do with the other one. My only wish is that the ignore feature on this one worked as well as the Vog but it will have to do for now.
BBob is online now  
post #106 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Have you always been this rude, ugly, worthless, self-centered, asshole? I think you have. I think you were born like this and it just got worse as you got older. I knew kids like you when I was a kid. We called them "bullies" back then. Bullies always grew up to be just like you are today. Bigger bullies.

No wonder you're so miserable and unhappy in your life. No wonder you attempt to justify your existence by putting others down. You think it makes you superior when in fact it just makes you look small and insignificant which is all you are and ever have been.

No; you're not always right. No; your opinion is not the only one.

Your massive hubris is only outweighed by your massive narcissism.

Your one wish right now is that we were face to face so you could punch me just like when you were back in school being that younger bully version of today's full grown bully.

I wouldn't trade places with you for all the tea in China. Nothing is worth being that miserable.

For whatever reason you have chosen to pollute this forum just like you do with the other one. My only wish is that the ignore feature on this one worked as well as the Vog but it will have to do for now.
I asked a serious question.... but... as I suspected, all I get is more personal attacks and nothing at all to address the topic of my post or the points brought up in it. Yup, just a big pile of butt-hurt and the whining of a professional victim.

Boy, you really get angry when challenged...
I love exchanges where people challenge me and make me think about my opinions... make me back up what I say with sound and well-reasoned arguments. I love it when they ask the hard questions. Stimulate me, I enjoy it!

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
post #107 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
I knew kids like you when I was a kid. We called them "bullies" back then.
Gee, I wonder what they call them now...

Not that anyone cares, but I was bullied terribly as a kid. There was a group of boys who regularly beat the shit out of me just for fun. For some reason, they seemed to enjoy inflicting pain.

After a couple of years of motocross racing and dirt bike riding every day, I was transformed into a lean, muscled, confident, and capable young man.

In high school, there was a kid who was physically messed up and he was a little 'special needs' mentally as well. One of the bully-boys who used to pick on me (but not any more, I assure you) was beating on that kid one day when I walked outside... I put a stop to that shit and told the kid that my friends and I would not tolerate anyone picking on him and all he had to do was let me know if he was being picked on and we would take care of it. That kid sat with us at lunch after that day. We walked to class together sometimes. Nobody fucked with that kid.

Me, a bully? That's rich. I have been thinking that there are some bullyish trolling types in here... but wasn't including myself in that group... I guess you straightened me out on that. Now I know, thanks to your Christian kindness and efforts to be Christ-like, that I'm a rude, ugly, worthless, self-centered, asshole. Thanx, buddy!

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
post #108 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowndodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
Imagine how difficult it would be for a man from 1918 to wrap his mind around the technology we have in 2018. Only 100 years for such huge advances...

Now, suppose there was a civilization 10,000 years older than ours. They are so advanced that they travel through vast space and end up here. Imagine what they know and understand about the universe. If we showed them our bible as the story of our origin and of our beliefs, do you think they'd be impressed by how smart we are and how much we know?

Just let that sink in....
So without proof you want me to believe that there are possible others in the universe that would laugh at Christians? And you want me to believe that this is possible on "blind Faith"?? Sounds like someone believes this possibility of blind faith too? Let that sink in..
Blowndodge is offline  
post #109 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowndodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Free will means we all have the ability to form our own opinions. I may think someone is wrong for thinking a certain way but I would fight for his right to do it because I believe in a free society.

One area that bothers me is free speech. Rather those who don't want it bother me. There's really no such thing as hate speech as long as it doesn't do harm; then it crosses a line into an action and goes beyond speech. It's a tough thing to nail down but there are teams of people working on it on the free and open forums (this isn't one). Gab is one though. Twatter and Fecesbook are most definitely not. Free and open doesn't mean no limits though and that's where being a moderator becomes difficult but terms of use do help even on a free and open forum.

Ultimately we have the right and ability to ignore those we abhor or we can play with them for fun.

The EU is becoming a police state. You can't even talk negatively about certain subjects without risking legal trouble. Canada is following in that terrible policy it seems. More in some areas than others from what I've read. In other words they are banning free speech.

Back to the subject; I have no idea how this entire thing with life started on this planet and neither does anyone else - for sure. They have conjecture, they have faith and scripture, and some claim to have science which I doubt the most because their study released today will be refuted by another study released next week. Science is only as good as the information available at the time and/or the bias in which it is used and that is constantly changing so I take all science with huge grain of salt.

Merry Christmas!!
Free will.... Something the Christian Bible tells us God instills in all of us. Too bad animals were left off of that considering we we're lectured all animals have inherent compassion. Too funny.
Blowndodge is offline  
post #110 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:42 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge View Post
So without proof you want me to believe that there are possible others in the universe that would laugh at Christians? And you want me to believe that this is possible on "blind Faith"?? Sounds like someone believes this possibility of blind faith too? Let that sink in..
It's hypothetical situation... a thought experiment... the words I used were: "imagine", "suppose" and "do you think?" but you want proof? Did I say anything about laughing at Christians? Did I ask you to believe something?

After all the things I posted in this thread, THIS is what you zero in on? You didn't even answer the question posed...

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.

Last edited by half_crazy; 12-03-2018 at 04:27 AM.
half_crazy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome