Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Tuner crackdown

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  IndyVictory 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#12 ·

Attachments

#3 ·
So China, Africa, India, et al can puke up the air, but after all the US has done (successfully, I might add) a few tuners across the country ain't gonna show up on anyone's pollution meter. I'm with Trump want to put a short leash on the EPA.

#4 ·
Interesting they didn't go after Superchips. Those are the tuners I use. I understand they aren't as good performance wise but they still work well for my purposes. In fact I just bought another one for my F150 I decided to keep after all and put the one that was used for it on my Mustang. They make a huge difference in how the auto trans shifts and the power band using regular gas towing up 5k lbs.

If it works even better in my truck than the other 1845; I might use the newer 1865 in the Mustang (fun 4.6L car). The truck has the 5.4L.

#5 ·
I'm probably wrong but I thought my SCT was a Superchips tuner. Those are Superchips tuner initials. Mine is an SCT XCalibrator 2. I have an 89 and 93 octane performance tune and a 93 octane torque tune.

#6 ·
I could be wrong but I think Superchips and SCT split if they were ever the same company. Could be a Superchips co-founder or engineer split off and started SCTflash.com. Another tuner company is Diablosports. The difference in price is significant but the performance boost with a Superchips may only be 20 hp whereas the SCT might be around 60 hp; especially if a cold air intake or K&N filter is installed.

Superchips says it doesn't make much difference to install the intake. Much like the rubber gasket under our X-bike tanks we can remove to allow better air flow; my 1999 Mustang has a similar rubber gasket to force air to only come through a passage in the fender. Removing it and installing a K&N air filter is about the same as installing an expensive cold air intake. At least that's what "they" say.

I'm no expert on this stuff. I just wanted a better shifting, smoother running, engine with the added benefit of running regular gas but still getting adequate power. True muscle heads will go for the best of everything to squeeze out every bit of horsepower they can and leave nothing on the table.

Don't quote me but I think the SCT tuner can also be custom tuned by dyno's with the right software; again making it the choice for guy/girl to get the most out of their car or truck. These are the people who like to race the quarter mile on weekends. You know; those who run what they brung. I miss that track (Speedworld) just Northwest of Surprise but growth pushed them out. I guess there's a speedway in San Tan Valley but that's way on the other side of town; not sure how long it would take to drive from the old Speedworld to the speedway. Maybe an hour depending on traffic.

#8 ·
I've thought about a tuner for my f150 Eco. It's a 2011 and the numbers I've seen are impressive.

#9 ·
I think the transmission improvement is just as important as the horsepower boost. Firmer, but not jarring, shifts give it a solid feel rather than that squishy sliding into the next gear feel as stock.

Your 2011 may not see the radical improvement my 2001 with 172k did though.

If you're going to pull the trigger on the SCT you better do it quick and do it through ebay.

#11 ·
Seems this comes up every few years or so. HD got whacked a few years back for selling them. Then a couple others but not as severe, because it didnt make the "noise" like when HD did. Then I think some auto/truck tuners were also sued by epa. Then all went quiet. But it is an election year folks so we have to make some "noise" about how much "I" did so I can get elected again and be on the dole for another 4 years.

#13 · (Edited)
In many cases of laws being created, changed or put under increased levels of enforcement you'll likely find the cause being a few a$$holes blatantly flouting or ignoring the rules just because they feel like it. They're too stupid to realize they are wrecking things for the majority of us. I don't care if it's fuel tuners, firearms, after-market exhausts, off-road driving, whatever. If you don't draw attention to yourself, you, and usually the rest of us, will get left alone. Don't give the snowflake liberals another thing to focus on.

The neanderthals that abuse the situation simply so they can say "hey, look at me" and highlight the problem to people who don't know there is one are the reason the rest of society has a lot of regulations and restrictions put upon us.

Case in point
https://www.google.ca/search?q=dies...693dAhXXHDQIHeXFBKkQ_AUIDygC&biw=1403&bih=857

https://www.google.ca/search?q=idio...rome..69i57.9316j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#14 ·
We had a saying in the Navy....10% ruin it for the rest of the ship.

Reactions: MonsterMash
#15 ·
This whole black smoke rollin coal thing is rediculass. What does it prove and what is the point? Does it improve HP. I would have to do some research, but I would have to think any late model truck that is supposed to have a DPF is running without any emissions.
One day the wife and I were on a ride out on the beach and got hung on a draw bridge waiting for it to open and close. Some clown in a older Dodge pickup 3 or 4 cars ahead of us was just blowing the black stinky smoke reving the engine for no reason. Hell I had mine turned off. I was about 1 min from going up and choking the jack ass.

#16 ·
Improve not really in a lot of cases you can lose power with too much exhaust flow. They seem to go after them specifically for removing emissions components not for the tuning.
Like me I'm not touching the cats on my Vic but I can tune it to run better still hitting the 14.3-14.7 happy fuel ratio most the time so I don't see that as a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.