Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

XR vs XC differences?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Henry 
#1 ·
Looking for any major differences between the Cross Roads vs the Cross Country.
Besides the obvious batwing fairing (and everything in the fairing).
And, the optional choices you can make with the XR, highway bars, bags, colors...

Is the Fairing really worth the extra $3k? Radio is nice and all, but, I like being able to see the front end of the bike...

Any other differences?

#2 ·
The difference is in how you would use the bike. If you do long distance tours of days or weeks, then the XC is the ticket for that. If your riding is local or regional, the XR will suffice nicely. A couple advantages the XR has is 20 fewer pounds attached to the bars and its plexi fairing is removable for wind in the face hot weather riding. I selected the XR due to physical limitations now preventing me from doing the long distance touring that we had been involved with for decades. My previous bikes had been full boat tourers, but realizing our riding from now on will be local and regional, the XR suits us just fine. With the addition of the lower wind deflectors, wind and rain protection is excellent - every bit as good as the first generation Yamaha Ventures I've had since 1983. If you don't require the audio system, then save the $$$ and go for the XR. Good luck.

#3 ·
You'll notice as I did that only old people ride with fairings. It makes a great place to store their walkers when they ride.

Other than that, mechanically the bikes are similar.

#4 ·
You'll notice as I did that only old people ride with fairings. It makes a great place to store their walkers when they ride. Other than that, mechanically the bikes are similar.
If you're lucky, you'll live long enough to have put in the 59 years of riding that I have - so far. I started out sans windscreen and soon learned that there's a lot of crap in the air that hurts like hell when it smacks your face. Then there's that stuff called bugs, rain and hail. Most of my riding had been long distance touring - not a lot of fun without the protection of a windscreen. If you are a masochist and enjoy pain and fatigue, be my guest and ride in the wind. I have had my share of that and won't volunteer for more.

#5 ·
I was only making a lighthearted comment RicZ. The windshield on an XR is not a fairing since it is removable. I ride with the windshield when the temp is below 50 or when the damn Junebugs are out! I'm certainly not bagging on you. You're very young at heart after all the years of riding.

#6 ·
Guess I came off too hard with that, eh? The point I was trying to make is that after you've been on this planet several decades, there are things up with which you will not put, to quote Winston Churchill.

#7 ·
There is a 2010 cross roads here for sale 13 thousand and I asked him why hes selling it.
He said he found so much love in taking trip that the bike just didn't do it. He said the radio makes a differences when your board and in the rain the windshield didn't help much.
He did say Vic is the best.

#8 ·
Are you sure it's a XR? XRs don't have radios. I find my mid height windshield affords good rain protection, even though I can see well over it.

#9 ·
I think this points out my major dilemma in choosing...
How will I use the bike. Currently, I use it to comutte to work, gym, and play with on short rides.

I would like to get in with a riding group, and do charity rides and work my way to some weekend rally rides. Well see how the wife chooses after taking her thru the MSF course...

#10 ·
When ya get serious about riding the XC is my choice. I ride between 20,000-25,000 miles a year with several long distance rides thrown in.
I like my IPod and radio when on trips helps mom and me to break the boredom on those 800 mile days.
A short ride for me is 300 miles. A cruise around the block is at least 100 miles.
If your a short distance rider, to work, weekends that type of thing the XR is a good ride.
Being retired My wife are are known to go for a steak and not come back for several days.

#11 ·
Nice, dd! I think my longest ride was about 300 miles. When I retire, I'm going to grow up to ride like you. 'Till then I gotta sit my butt at work and earn those pennies! :)

#12 ·
Distance

For you point of view, I am a short rider. Daytona is about 600 miles, and that would be the longest I would ever ride until retired. It will be interesting to see how the wife handles the MSF course. If she digs riding herself, then this could get very interesting. wac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.