Wiring Help Please - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Fl.
Posts: 96
Default Wiring Help Please

Guys, I'm putting some bullet aux lights on my engine guards. I have the harness I'm using which is the Kury #2328. It's a simple hook up, white fused wire to battery + and two black wires to battery - with the other wires to lights. I'm not sure which switch I'm going with use probably the one that mounts to the handle bars so, I can save that dash switch for something else. Anyway, here's my question. I don't want to remove my tank, not comfortable doing so after reading about the plastic nipple that people break off so, tank removal is not an option. Is there another good source to posi tap the red toggle switch wire to for switched power? That is fairly easy to get to.

Mike
2012 White Cross Country Tour

Last edited by mikiep; 10-09-2012 at 07:43 PM.
mikiep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Lem
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiep View Post
Guys, I'm putting some bullet aux lights on my engine guards. I have the harness I'm using which is the Kury #2328. It's a simple hook up, white fused wire to battery + and two black wires to battery - with the other wires to lights. I'm not sure which switch I'm going with use probably the one that mounts to the handle bars so, I can save that dash switch for something else. Anyway, here's my question. I don't want to remove my tank, not comfortable doing so after reading about the plastic nipple that people break off so, tank removal is not an option. Is there another good source to posi tap the red toggle switch wire to for switched power? That is fairly easy to get to.
You could tap into a hot wire in the fairing I suppose, I could swear there is a spare wire in there but I am not at home so dont have my service manual handy.

2012 Pearl White XCT
Stage 1 tune, Stage 1 air filter, Ness Thunder Exhaust!, Garmin GPS, Chrome Passenger Hand Rails, Lloyds Adjustable IAV, Isuck->Android adapter, WOLO Air Horn, Kicker Speakers

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold
Lem is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
RICZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 12,096
Default

The fuel pump connector under the tank has been beefed up on the 2012 bikes. Not to worry about tank removal now. Best to remove tank when the fuel is low. Its pretty heavy when full.

2010 Midnight Cherry XR. 7Jurock, Lloydz AF, ATS, AFR tuned VFCIII, IAV, and T-6 and locally repacked pipes = big smiles. SOLD to a dear friend, so it's still in the family."
2017 Spyder F3 Limited - keeps this old guy in the wind and riding with friends.
Cure that ugly stand up license plate with the cheapest and best laydown bracket. Click this:
https://www.victoryforums.com/11-ven...t-x-bikes.html
RICZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Senior Member
 
ridinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 579
Garage
Default

I don't understand why you want to remove the tank. The battery is right behind the front wheel.

Ride Safe, Ride Often
Life's to short to be GRUMPY
Bill
2014 XCT
Lenexa, KS
ridinman is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinman View Post
I don't understand why you want to remove the tank. The battery is right behind the front wheel.
And there is an auxiliary light connector inside of your fairing - looks just like the connectors for low and high beam, you can't miss it.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Fl.
Posts: 96
Default

Thanks guys for the help but, like I was saying I don't know enough about wiring and don't want to smoke check my bike.
@ridinman, The reason I mentioned tank because that is were it seems that everyone connects into a switch power source for the wire coming off the rocker/toggle switch. I'm going to attach the light harness to the battery. Can that switch be powered also from the battery?
@crossroads, I'm going to look for that aux light connector inside the fairing. Can you give me what color wires or area because that seems to be perfect place to connect there with a posi tap and I'm sure I missed it.
Again guys, thanks for the help. I don't mean to sound stupid because I can wrench on the bike it's just that wiring isn't my thing. I really do need to invest in a service manual and I will for my next project. Thanks again

Mike
2012 White Cross Country Tour
mikiep is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
ridinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 579
Garage
Default

If you're looking for switched power to allow control of a relay, there are lots of options inside the fairing.

Ride Safe, Ride Often
Life's to short to be GRUMPY
Bill
2014 XCT
Lenexa, KS
ridinman is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Hi-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Woodbranch Village, TX (Houston)
Posts: 109
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
The fuel pump connector under the tank has been beefed up on the 2012 bikes. Not to worry about tank removal now. Best to remove tank when the fuel is low. Its pretty heavy when full.
Just be sure the quick connect snaps on fully. I made the mistake of not quite getting it all the way on and found myself dead on the side of the road with some fuel dumping out on the motor. Fairly quick fix, but gave my Harley buddies some ammo...

In my defense, I put the tank on after midnight after doing some install work and a few beers...

2012 Cross Country Tour (Black - The fastest color)

2006 Roadstar Warrior (Traded)
Hi-C is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiep View Post
@crossroads, I'm going to look for that aux light connector inside the fairing. Can you give me what color wires or area because that seems to be perfect place to connect there with a posi tap and I'm sure I missed it.
You will have to look at the high beam connector that plugs into the high beam bulb (lower bulb). Then look in the same vicinity (3-4inch radius) for another connector that looks just like it, and is sitting there unplugged. That's the one you want to posi tap.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Member
 
Reams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winter Haven, Fl.
Posts: 95
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
You will have to look at the high beam connector that plugs into the high beam bulb (lower bulb). Then look in the same vicinity (3-4inch radius) for another connector that looks just like it, and is sitting there unplugged. That's the one you want to posi tap.
I believe you are talking about a yellow/blue wire(+) that has a black wire(-) next to it both run into an untapped connector. This is what I tapped for my lights.

2011 Cross Country
Reams is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome