Friend broke his forged engine guard - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,872
Default Friend broke his forged engine guard

Buddy of mine that admits he rides way to fast (used to anyway) was riding in a clear lane passing a lot of stopped traffic on the freeway when a car pulled into his lane and as he swerved to miss the car his forged crash guard clipped the car and broke the bolts off and the guard went flying. He was doing 75mph+ 120kph+ when it happened.
Seems the crash guard is designed to sheer the bolts on heavy impact or so it seems to be, if the bolts haven't of sheered he would have had a very bad day. The girl in the car was as shaken up as he was and she had no way of knowing he was coming up on her because of his speed and the curve at that point of the road. He's a poor rider doing what he does passing stopped freeway traffic around a curve at 75mph+. The Cross Country Tour only suffered the guard damage and being a '12 it's a forged guard so it'll cost him. They didn't call the police figuring both were in the wrong, him more than her.

No on was hurt except the CCT.

Use your brain out there.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,768
Garage
BBob is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Did he pick up the guard? What kind of shape was it in?
By the time he thought to go back it had been ran over a couple hundred times. He said it was on the side of the road in a bunch of pieces and those pieces were heavily ground up. Probably broke apart on impact.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Tarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler,Az.
Posts: 977
Default

That's definitely no Bueno. Riding like that here in the Phoenix area is a sure recipe for disaster. I'm glad no one got hurt, hopefully it shook him up enough to consider some more conservative riding.
Chattanooga Mark likes this.

'14 Ness XC
Tarzan is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,872
Default

I know it shook him up enough to slow down.

We just talked last week and he said I know you rarely go over 70, I'm rarely am under it. I know that's changed. He's a co-worker and a very cool guy he just gets carried away.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Tarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler,Az.
Posts: 977
Default

I know I ride a little aggressive sometimes. But traffic keeps me on high alert. Especially that HOV lane. People in cages seem not to care to turn their head and look.
vindex1963 likes this.

'14 Ness XC
Tarzan is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Travis P's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
I know I ride a little aggressive sometimes. But traffic keeps me on high alert. Especially that HOV lane. People in cages seem not to care to turn their head and look.

I have spent a fair bit of time on a bike down there and it's a little scary.... I was coming home from Mesa one night to north Scottsdale moving along at about 75mph and I had to squeeze between a car and the barricade separating the east bound traffic from the west bound. I was in the HOV lane just approaching N Scottsdale Rd... I was just thinking I should probably start moving over to exit and some lady in a Ford F-150 just came into my lane without a signal or anything. I dropped a gear, grabbed a handful and split the gap. When I got to the house I cleaned my shorts and drank a beer.
Travis P is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,768
Garage
Default

There was a time when I didn't really think much about riding in the city one way or the other. It was just something I had to do.

After moving out of them some 15 years ago now; I can still ride in the city but it is anything but fun. It's work. A real job keeping the head on a swivel and reading traffic constantly. I still get into one city or another from time to time and remember why I don't live in one as long as I don't need to for employment which is probably why most people stay in cities.

I guess some people just like the hum of city life and can't get used to a slower pace without that knot in the gut. More power to them. It keeps the smaller towns smaller.

I did have one trick I used that seemed to really help. Well two really. Louder pipes and going a little faster than the flow of traffic. By going a little faster I could react and read the traffic much better and faster. Going with the flow with quiet pipes got me cars coming into my lane regularly. I also, of course, stayed in the farthest left lane as possible unless I was coming up to my turn off. Stay in the left part of the lane unless in the fastest most left lane.
BBob is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
There was a time when I didn't really think much about riding in the city one way or the other. It was just something I had to do.

After moving out of them some 15 years ago now; I can still ride in the city but it is anything but fun. It's work. A real job keeping the head on a swivel and reading traffic constantly. I still get into one city or another from time to time and remember why I don't live in one as long as I don't need to for employment which is probably why most people stay in cities.

I guess some people just like the hum of city life and can't get used to a slower pace without that knot in the gut. More power to them. It keeps the smaller towns smaller.

I did have one trick I used that seemed to really help. Well two really. Louder pipes and going a little faster than the flow of traffic. By going a little faster I could react and read the traffic much better and faster. Going with the flow with quiet pipes got me cars coming into my lane regularly. I also, of course, stayed in the farthest left lane as possible unless I was coming up to my turn off. Stay in the left part of the lane unless in the fastest most left lane.
You couldn't be more wrong Phoenix is a job to me nothing else. I can't stand living in a big city that's why I already have a retirement home in Payson. Maybe some feel that way I certainly don't. Some live in a small city and bitch that there's no resources there so I guess it evens out. City riding is work and keeping alert I do it five days a week year around and Saturdays for fun and sometimes for work. Small towns stay small because of lack of jobs and services.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better
vindex1963 is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:59 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,768
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong Phoenix is a job to me nothing else. I can't stand living in a big city that's why I already have a retirement home in Payson. Maybe some feel that way I certainly don't. Some live in a small city and bitch that there's no resources there so I guess it evens out. City riding is work and keeping alert I do it five days a week year around and Saturdays for fun and sometimes for work. Small towns stay small because of lack of jobs and services.
Yeah. This is pretty much my point. For most it's a means to an end (a job) until retirement. Some people just like it though.
BBob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome