power block question - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pauljp
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 234
Default power block question

Ok all question for all you electricians. I have a 11' w/a ton of battery connections and i would like to eliminate the cluster f**k at the batt terminals. So....was thinking of a power block. Here's a list of what i have going directly to battery now...that I have added.

1. 2 RF 300x2 amps
2. 1 Gerbing heating clothing plug...7A fuse I believe
3. battery tender

What I would like to do is run a + and - power block under my fairing just for the accessories Ive added. My thought is if i run a heavy enough wire to the fuse block, with its own fuse, i can still fuse all the add ons to the bike separately under the fairing eliminating the cluster at the batt terminals....???

Thoughts?

Thanks

2011 Black Cross Country...21" X-1 wheel, Cams, PC5, LLoyds Airfilter, ATS, 112hp/112T & dynoed tuned by KMC, hydraulic clutch, Witchdoctor brake clutch pedals, chrome bolt kit, colored caps, Ness grips, JTD hard lowers w/lights, 6.5" speaker upgrade in front w/crossovers and RF amp, MM 691 w/crossover and RF amp in speaker lids, passenger grabs, Cee Baileys windshield w/vent, Winner Cycle graphics pin-striping kit, Sentinel Mirrors, Kurakyan lower fork covers
magman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Senior Member
 
djh3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 1,074
Default

On my Venture I had run into the half dozen wires connecting to the battery post thing. Got messy with all that trying to connect @ battery. So I installed one of these fuse blocks under the seat. You should be able to do a similar install under seat. I would fuse the power wire to the block. Aux fuse block. Or you can check out what Joe has over at Cycle Terminals

2013 XCT added Jan 2015
pull back bars, passenger arm rests, HID Low beam, Silverstar Ultra headlight high beam,Drag Specialties Pillow Top seat with driver backrest. Glasspack mod Mufflers.
2009 Royal Star Venture-Traded Jan 2016

Trailers are for when it's broke aint it?
djh3 is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
RICZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 12,060
Default

I have installed a cheap 6 terminal fused block and powered it with a relay between it and the battery, so its activated only when the ignition is on. I fastened it to a vertical support to the right (bike's right) of the battery. Relay sits on top of the battery. Charger pigtail is connected directly to the battery.

2010 Midnight Cherry XR. 7Jurock, Lloydz AF, ATS, AFR tuned VFCIII, IAV, and T-6 and locally repacked pipes = big smiles. SOLD to a dear friend, so it's still in the family."
2017 Spyder F3 Limited - keeps this old guy in the wind and riding with friends.
Cure that ugly stand up license plate with the cheapest and best laydown bracket. Click this:
https://www.victoryforums.com/11-ven...t-x-bikes.html
RICZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Pauljp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gatineau Quebec Canada
Posts: 628
Garage
Default

You can watch my Aux Power Block Video here.
.
SubDude likes this.

Paul
Gatineau Quebec, Canada

2014 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
- Watch my Victory videos here

2012 Triumph Bonneville Black (Sold Feb 2017)
- Watch my Triumph videos here
Pauljp is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman View Post
Ok all question for all you electricians. I have a 11' w/a ton of battery connections and i would like to eliminate the cluster f**k at the batt terminals. So....was thinking of a power block. Here's a list of what i have going directly to battery now...that I have added.

1. 2 RF 300x2 amps
2. 1 Gerbing heating clothing plug...7A fuse I believe
3. battery tender

What I would like to do is run a + and - power block under my fairing just for the accessories Ive added. My thought is if i run a heavy enough wire to the fuse block, with its own fuse, i can still fuse all the add ons to the bike separately under the fairing eliminating the cluster at the batt terminals....???

Thoughts?3

Thanks
Could you " bridge" the two amps together? That would eliminate one wire, then use
A High Temperature Ring Terminal for the clothing plug and battery tender, eliminating another wire.

Just a suggestion. ...
63625 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:22 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,766
Garage
BBob is online now  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljp View Post
You can watch my Aux Power Block Video here.
.
Paul...I did that's what gave me the idea! My concern are the 2 amp power wires and getting enough power to run them through a power block set up. If I remember correctly, i'm running 8 gauge wire for each as power wire. All the other accessories would easily be able to run through the power block. All of my other add ons I've gone up a size or 2 in wire guage

2011 Black Cross Country...21" X-1 wheel, Cams, PC5, LLoyds Airfilter, ATS, 112hp/112T & dynoed tuned by KMC, hydraulic clutch, Witchdoctor brake clutch pedals, chrome bolt kit, colored caps, Ness grips, JTD hard lowers w/lights, 6.5" speaker upgrade in front w/crossovers and RF amp, MM 691 w/crossover and RF amp in speaker lids, passenger grabs, Cee Baileys windshield w/vent, Winner Cycle graphics pin-striping kit, Sentinel Mirrors, Kurakyan lower fork covers

Last edited by magman; 12-31-2015 at 08:32 AM.
magman is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 2,069
Default

To save you from reading a really freakin' long document, here's some info I have in my write-up on adding Rivco LED mirrors to an XCT ( Adding Rivco LED Mirrors to a Victory Cross Country Motorcycle ) that I think is relevant to your question.


Battery Terminal Extenders:

I use the Termin-8 for avoiding glomming up the battery terminals. (For completeness, note that I have toothed washers on the battery bolts, and medium thread locker on the bottom half of the bolts, dielectric grease on the top half of the bolts, and the bolts snugged very tightly. Once you add a terminal extender like this, you may never have to mess with the actual battery bolts again.)

I highly recommend the Termin-8, even if it's expensive; it's well made and you don't have to solder anything or crimp any pins, etc. If all you want are some always-on connections (which is what direct connections to the battery result in, if you were to use the battery terminal bolts themselves), these will do the trick.

I use my Termin-8 for juice to a horn relay, and to Powerlet outlet, and some other things. I use the Powerlet outlet (drilled through the left side cover -- see Victory Powerlet in Side Cover , if interested) for two things: heated gear and a smart-charger. I suppose an outlet for heated gear should be an ignition-on-only power source, but once you turn off the bike you're likely to turn off your gear and get off the bike, i.e., so it doesn't really matter if the power source for heated gear is always hot. And if it weren't, you couldn't use the same outlet for a Battery Tender, et al. Another always-on circuit might be an alarm system, for instance.

In any case, here are some extenders. Note that they're all short -- not for under the fairing -- and all have their own fuse protection:

https://www.powerlet.com/product/ter...-fuseblock/409 : Powerlet Termin-8
3 Circuit : Eastern Beaver 3-Circuit Solution
Accessory Fused Terminal | Load Equalizers & Adapters | Lighting | Küryakyn : Kuryakyn Accessory Fused Terminal


Fuse Blocks:

If you'll be adding many more circuits, and especially if you want one or more of them to be ignition-on-only (such as extra lights, with or without their own switches), you'll probably want to add a full-fledged fuse block. (I have one set of added lights, but they have their own relay, which is powered by a connection to the Termin-8, but triggered by an ignition-on-only source. If you'll add a lot of such circuits, then a fuse block would eliminate adding a relay for each such circuit.)

IMHO, the placement of a fuse block should be in the vicinity of most of the devices that will be added. This will make for shorter wire runs, and will eliminate having a lot of wires cross the "neck" area of the bike, where you have to allow for necessary slack and avoid pinching wires as the handlebars are turned full lock.

Again IMHO, it should not be necessary to place the fuse block for easy access. Replacing or checking fuses should be an extremely rare occurrence if you wire devices properly. And it takes me less than 10 minutes to take off the fairing, so I'd probably recommend that as a fuse block location.

Here are some fuse blocks:

Home : Arboreal Systems Dispatch 1
http://www.bluesea.com/products/category/ST%20Blade : Blue Sea Fuse Blocks
Fuse Panels : Centech Fuse Panels
Denali PowerHub2 fuse block, master ground block and wiring harness for motorcycles | TwistedThrottle.com : Denali PowerHub2
PC-8 : Eastern Beaver Power Center 8
http://www.electricalconnection.com/...late-02202.htm : Electrical Connection Power Plate
FUZEBLOCKS.COM : Fuzeblocks FZ-1
PDM60 | Rowe Electronics : Rowe Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module

Also of possible interest might be this ground block, depending on how bare-bones of a fuse block you get (such as the really basic fuse holders available for a few dollars at auto-parts stores). I used this on one of my bikes, and it's a nice accessory for what it's designed to do:

Master Ground Block : Electrical Connection Master Ground Block

Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT (SOLD) : HeliBars; Centramatics; PC-V; Lloydz air filter; 11" Madstad; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown plate; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/

Last edited by wspollack; 12-31-2015 at 10:34 AM.
wspollack is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
To save you from reading a really freakin' long document, here's some info I have in my write-up on adding Rivco LED mirrors to an XCT ( Adding Rivco LED Mirrors to a Victory Cross Country Motorcycle ) that I think is relevant to your question.


Battery Terminal Extenders:

I use the Termin-8 for avoiding glomming up the battery terminals. (For completeness, note that I have toothed washers on the battery bolts, and medium thread locker on the bottom half of the bolts, dielectric grease on the top half of the bolts, and the bolts snugged very tightly. Once you add a terminal extender like this, you may never have to mess with the actual battery bolts again.)

I highly recommend the Termin-8, even if it's expensive; it's well made and you don't have to solder anything or crimp any pins, etc. If all you want are some always-on connections (which is what direct connections to the battery result in, if you were to use the battery terminal bolts themselves), these will do the trick.

I use my Termin-8 for juice to a horn relay, and to Powerlet outlet, and some other things. I use the Powerlet outlet (drilled through the left side cover -- see Victory Powerlet in Side Cover , if interested) for two things: heated gear and a smart-charger. I suppose an outlet for heated gear should be an ignition-on-only power source, but once you turn off the bike you're likely to turn off your gear and get off the bike, i.e., so it doesn't really matter if the power source for heated gear is always hot. And if it weren't, you couldn't use the same outlet for a Battery Tender, et al. Another always-on circuit might be an alarm system, for instance.

In any case, here are some extenders. Note that they're all short -- not for under the fairing -- and all have their own fuse protection:

https://www.powerlet.com/product/ter...-fuseblock/409 : Powerlet Termin-8
3 Circuit : Eastern Beaver 3-Circuit Solution
Accessory Fused Terminal | Load Equalizers & Adapters | Lighting | Küryakyn : Kuryakyn Accessory Fused Terminal


Fuse Blocks:

If you'll be adding many more circuits, and especially if you want one or more of them to be ignition-on-only (such as extra lights, with or without their own switches), you'll probably want to add a full-fledged fuse block. (I have one set of added lights, but they have their own relay, which is powered by a connection to the Termin-8, but triggered by an ignition-on-only source. If you'll add a lot of such circuits, then a fuse block would eliminate adding a relay for each such circuit.)

IMHO, the placement of a fuse block should be in the vicinity of most of the devices that will be added. This will make for shorter wire runs, and will eliminate having a lot of wires cross the "neck" area of the bike, where you have to allow for necessary slack and avoid pinching wires as the handlebars are turned full lock.

Again IMHO, it should not be necessary to place the fuse block for easy access. Replacing or checking fuses should be an extremely rare occurrence if you wire devices properly. And it takes me less than 10 minutes to take off the fairing, so I'd probably recommend that as a fuse block location.

Here are some fuse blocks:

Home : Arboreal Systems Dispatch 1
http://www.bluesea.com/products/category/ST%20Blade : Blue Sea Fuse Blocks
Fuse Panels : Centech Fuse Panels
Denali PowerHub2 fuse block, master ground block and wiring harness for motorcycles | TwistedThrottle.com : Denali PowerHub2
PC-8 : Eastern Beaver Power Center 8
http://www.electricalconnection.com/...late-02202.htm : Electrical Connection Power Plate
FUZEBLOCKS.COM : Fuzeblocks FZ-1
PDM60 | Rowe Electronics : Rowe Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module

Also of possible interest might be this ground block, depending on how bare-bones of a fuse block you get (such as the really basic fuse holders available for a few dollars at auto-parts stores). I used this on one of my bikes, and it's a nice accessory for what it's designed to do:

Master Ground Block : Electrical Connection Master Ground Block

Can't thank you enough for the advice. I read your write up on installing the mirror w/turn signals...great job btw! Thanks!!!

So I looked at the power block option which i like a lot better. If i ran say a 6 guage batt wire to the power block....https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover.... I should be good to go for powering up everything including my amps?

2011 Black Cross Country...21" X-1 wheel, Cams, PC5, LLoyds Airfilter, ATS, 112hp/112T & dynoed tuned by KMC, hydraulic clutch, Witchdoctor brake clutch pedals, chrome bolt kit, colored caps, Ness grips, JTD hard lowers w/lights, 6.5" speaker upgrade in front w/crossovers and RF amp, MM 691 w/crossover and RF amp in speaker lids, passenger grabs, Cee Baileys windshield w/vent, Winner Cycle graphics pin-striping kit, Sentinel Mirrors, Kurakyan lower fork covers

Last edited by magman; 12-31-2015 at 11:42 AM.
magman is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman View Post
Can't thank you enough for the advice. I read your write up on installing the mirror w/turn signals...great job btw! Thanks!!!

So I looked at the power block option which i like a lot better. If i ran say a 6 guage batt wire to the power block....https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover.... I should be good to go for powering up everything including my amps?
6 gauge wire is probably overkill. If you google something such as automotive wire gauge amp rating you'll find a lot of charts and so forth.

Here are some charts (and the first two are identical, or nearly so):

Wire Gauge Amps Ratings for 12 volt Automotive Systems
https://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/...get_wired.html
https://www.crcorp.com/DCT_HardwareE.../E/pdf/E11.pdf

This site has a nice wire-gauge calculator, including your specifying the percentage drop:

Wire Size Calculator

All those sites have nice reading material on this topic.

Regarding that Blue Sea block, that's really beefy. I don't have any personal experience with that block, but if it can't handle your needs than nothing will (and your needs certainly aren't extravagant). Most fuse blocks have a 20- or 30-amp limit per circuit, and often something like a 60-amp (or less) overall limit. Don't forget: that resettable bus fuse (the one buried behind framework, up front, on the left side of the bike) for the whole bike (stock) is only 40 amps.

Bottom line: I think you'll be fine using 10- or even 12-gauge wire for the main power hook-up to a fuse block, and that Blue Sea or many of the others (e.g., Centech is a very commonly used block) should be fine.

Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT (SOLD) : HeliBars; Centramatics; PC-V; Lloydz air filter; 11" Madstad; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown plate; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome