wspollack: Yup you got it. The sort of rectangle piece. Even if you dont take it all the way off your just looking for a little wiggle room I think. Of course you could always get the BFH.
Well, I did the whole thing according to the Witchdoctor's video @visionjohnny
alerted me to last night (in post #2). So, nope, I didn't take the big piece off, or loosen it, although it might be a reasonable idea. I might consider it next time ... IF: 1) there is a next time, and; 2) I have a hefty table lift (as opposed to my wheel chock only), with the bike strapped down. As it was, crawling on the garage floor -- and at my collecting-social-security and wearing bi-focals age -- doesn't provide a real good view of what's connected to what.
I did use a BFH, if a deadblow hammer counts. I also used a BF pry bar, too (after trying out one of my nylon bodywork pry gizmos, but that didn't budge shit).
Did the whole bit: disconnected the shift linkage rod, took off the floorboard, put the dimes in the spring (borrowed part of my wife's stash), greased the pivot bolt and area, moved the oil line back where it was (with the pry bar) when I was finished.
And when buttoning things up, at the absolute very end of the project, I snapped off the very last bolt, the shift rod bolt. I was using a medium-sized torque wrench for the sidestand pivot bolt, and a small one for this bolt. And I stored them at no torque, and first went half-way on the torque value, to get them warmed up. On this one, the half-way just never clicked. I now have a new policy: torque wrenches on big bolts only -- the little ones get snugged up by a calibrated wrist only. Oh, and I lucked out, because a couple of threads were showing, so a vise-grip saved me from breaking out the extractor set.
Took the car to a nearby Lowes, and got a packet of two 6x1.00x20mm bolts. I got black ones, continuing my black-out-the-bike-when-possible theme (and also because that's all they had). I added a washer I had lying around, because the Allen head is much smaller than the stock bolt head. And used red loctite, as Jon suggested in the video.
Oh, and the new sidestand did the trick, nicely changed the lean angle to something more manageable. I measured the before and after angles, because I'm OCD in a lot of ways.
Also, my old sidestand had a hole where some shiny insert was present in the new one. And it's nice that the sidestands come with the rubber foot already on, because I also discovered that the old one was in kind of sad shape.