Windshield Question for Cross Country Tour - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
amvince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Aubrey, TX
Posts: 131
Default Windshield Question for Cross Country Tour

I am looking for a shorter windshield for my Cross Country Tour. From what I can see the only one that uses the stock brackets is the 7JuRock. The other choices are getting Madstad brackets. MY question is do any of the other windshields that mount with the smaller brackets sit on the outside of the fairing like the stock tour windshield.

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour

I just plan on doing everything twice when I start it and that way when it takes 3 times to get it right I'm only half as mad.
amvince is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Blowndodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 681
Default

I have a CCT and settled on the 7JRock and couldn't be happier. I got the 14" smoked slipped shield. I'm 6'1". With the stock seat the top of the fairing comes to just below my nose.

2013 Victory XCT. Lakewood, CA

Russell Day Long Saddle.
7Jurock 14" tinted flip shield
Unplugged O2 sensors.
Stage one filter.
14" replacement ant.
Drag Specialties highway pegs.
Custom Pin-striping.
Blowndodge is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvince View Post
I am looking for a shorter windshield for my Cross Country Tour. From what I can see the only one that uses the stock brackets is the 7JuRock. The other choices are getting Madstad brackets. MY question is do any of the other windshields that mount with the smaller brackets sit on the outside of the fairing like the stock tour windshield.
The brackets that come with the Tour have six bolts to hold its extra-tall stock windshield in place. Those brackets, in turn, bolt to the bike's metal (underneath the curved black plastic part) with four bolts. All you have to do is remove the Tour's windshield and those special brackets, set them on the shelf, and you have -- for windshield purposes -- an XC, instead of an XCT. That is, a vast array of aftermarket windshields meant for the Cross Country will now bolt directly to your Cross Country Tour.

I knew from sitting on the bike and demo rides that I did NOT want the stock Tour setup, because I'm a look-over, not a look-through, rider. So when I ordered my XCT in 2012, I had the dealer put on a KlockWerks Flare, instead of the stock XCT brackets and barn-door windshield. (The bikes come crated without any windshield on, so the dealer has to do prep work. I had to pay for the Flare, but no labor.) I put the XCT brackets and windshield in the car, my wife drove home, and I rode the bike home. (I later sold the brackets and windshield, and bolts and washers.)

In addition to 7Jurock and Madstad, and Klockwerks, you can get windshields for the XC/bracketless-XCT from Vic itself, Gustafsson Plastics, Clearview, Cee Bailey, and some others that escape me at the moment.

The Flare I had (and sold) fit behind the upper fairing edge. The Madstad (that I now have) sits above the fairing. I'm not sure why you're concerned about how an aftermarket windshield fits. Much more important, IMHO, is how a given windshield affects buffeting and how it provides protection or cooling. That, in turn, will depend on how tall you are, your torso length, what kind of helmet you wear, what kind (if any) lowers you have, and so forth.

FWIW, I thought the KW Flare looked nice and worked well for my 5'9", 30"-inseam, height, but not so well for shorter or taller riders. I have an 11" Madstad and their brackets, which is adjustable and works well for me, too, but a lot of folks think they're fugly.

Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT (SOLD) : HeliBars; Centramatics; PC-V; Lloydz air filter; 11" Madstad; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown plate; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
amvince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Aubrey, TX
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
The brackets that come with the Tour have six bolts to hold its extra-tall stock windshield in place. Those brackets, in turn, bolt to the bike's metal (underneath the curved black plastic part) with four bolts. All you have to do is remove the Tour's windshield and those special brackets, set them on the shelf, and you have -- for windshield purposes -- an XC, instead of an XCT. That is, a vast array of aftermarket windshields meant for the Cross Country will now bolt directly to your Cross Country Tour.

I knew from sitting on the bike and demo rides that I did NOT want the stock Tour setup, because I'm a look-over, not a look-through, rider. So when I ordered my XCT in 2012, I had the dealer put on a KlockWerks Flare, instead of the stock XCT brackets and barn-door windshield. (The bikes come crated without any windshield on, so the dealer has to do prep work. I had to pay for the Flare, but no labor.) I put the XCT brackets and windshield in the car, my wife drove home, and I rode the bike home. (I later sold the brackets and windshield, and bolts and washers.)

In addition to 7Jurock and Madstad, and Klockwerks, you can get windshields for the XC/bracketless-XCT from Vic itself, Gustafsson Plastics, Clearview, Cee Bailey, and some others that escape me at the moment.

The Flare I had (and sold) fit behind the upper fairing edge. The Madstad (that I now have) sits above the fairing. I'm not sure why you're concerned about how an aftermarket windshield fits. Much more important, IMHO, is how a given windshield affects buffeting and how it provides protection or cooling. That, in turn, will depend on how tall you are, your torso length, what kind of helmet you wear, what kind (if any) lowers you have, and so forth.

FWIW, I thought the KW Flare looked nice and worked well for my 5'9", 30"-inseam, height, but not so well for shorter or taller riders. I have an 11" Madstad and their brackets, which is adjustable and works well for me, too, but a lot of folks think they're fugly.
We are about the same size. I am not too concerned about if it fits in front of or in the fairing edge as far as function more of a preference and ease of installation thing if I ever want to use the big windshield again. Thanks for your input it seems that you have gone through a few shield. You are right the Mastad is fugly but it seems people love it as far as performance.

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour

I just plan on doing everything twice when I start it and that way when it takes 3 times to get it right I'm only half as mad.
amvince is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Catnaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Evansville IN
Posts: 69
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvince View Post
We are about the same size. I am not too concerned about if it fits in front of or in the fairing edge as far as function more of a preference and ease of installation thing if I ever want to use the big windshield again. Thanks for your input it seems that you have gone through a few shield. You are right the Mastad is fugly but it seems people love it as far as performance.
I'll be another to tout the performance of the Madstad. I have 2 infact, one on my XCT and the other on my wife's Magnum. I'm about 5'8" and using the low seat with the Madstad 9". I'm more than pleased with it and would absolutely do it again. Wife wanted just a bit higher and has the 11" on hers, but either way, protection and lack of buffeting is excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Madstad 9 in 4-14-16 resized.jpg (39.5 KB, 15 views)

2015 Magnum Plasma-Lime Green
Matstad 11"
Kuryakyn bag lights
Tri-ovals
Driver backrest
2013 CCT Bronze Mist with VicWrapz "Wired"
Dobeck Gen 3.0 controller
Lloyd's AF
Raised tank mounting
Modified muffler cans w/wrapped spiral baffles
Lloyd's timing wh. +2
Low seat with driver's backrest
Modular handlebars
9" Madstad windshield
Kuryakyn bag lights
Stebel air horn in fairing
Clearwater Darla lights
Catnaper is online now  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvince View Post
We are about the same size. I am not too concerned about if it fits in front of or in the fairing edge as far as function more of a preference and ease of installation thing if I ever want to use the big windshield again. Thanks for your input it seems that you have gone through a few shield. You are right the Mastad is fugly but it seems people love it as far as performance.
Well, the esthetics of the Madstad doesn't bother me, or maybe I'm just used to it. And I have a lot of other black stuff on my XCT -- trunk rack, handlebars, mirrors, and levers, for instance -- that I feel it kind of blends in. See pic.

With whatever XC-compatible windshield (or windshield + brackets, in the case of the Madstad) you go with, changing back to the stock XCT configuration is still just a matter of removing four bolts, and then installing ten bolts (four to put the XCT brackets back on, and six to attach the tall windshield to them). Not a big deal.

Incidentally, I replaced the four hex button-head bolts that attach directly to the bike with socket-head bolts (M6 x 16mm). I messed with these bolts enough that I got tired of buggering the heads if a hex key wasn't inserted exactly at a right angle. See other pic (and the other stuff in that pic is part of a homemade system of brackets and tube I made, to mount a GoPro in the middle of the bike, behind the windshield).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-06-17-09-57-05.jpg (38.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-10-04_11-21-55.jpg (37.2 KB, 16 views)

Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT (SOLD) : HeliBars; Centramatics; PC-V; Lloydz air filter; 11" Madstad; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown plate; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Bigmike17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 552
Garage
Default

I am just a little ways south of you in Keller and would be happy to show the Baggershield I have on mine. I have a v-stream blade and a Klockwerks flip packed up in the garage. If you want to come see them I would be happy to help you put one on to try it out. I will sell either at a reasonable price if it works for you.
wspollack likes this.

2014 Cross Country Tour
Freedom Performance exhaust, Lloydz VFC and a Lloydz Intake/filter, Lloydz ATS.
Bigmike17 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
amvince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Aubrey, TX
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnaper View Post
I'll be another to tout the performance of the Madstad. I have 2 infact, one on my XCT and the other on my wife's Magnum. I'm about 5'8" and using the low seat with the Madstad 9". I'm more than pleased with it and would absolutely do it again. Wife wanted just a bit higher and has the 11" on hers, but either way, protection and lack of buffeting is excellent.
Thanks for the pictures. Do you have a picture of the Madstad from the other side so I can see the mounting system. Bill posted one but it has a homemade bracket so I am not sure what it looks like stock. I am a little anal retentive about looks but from the front it doesn't look bad. Bill thanks for the pictures also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike17 View Post
I am just a little ways south of you in Keller and would be happy to show the Baggershield I have on mine. I have a v-stream blade and a Klockwerks flip packed up in the garage. If you want to come see them I would be happy to help you put one on to try it out. I will sell either at a reasonable price if it works for you.
Mike sounds like that may be a good plan. What is height of the VStream?

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour

I just plan on doing everything twice when I start it and that way when it takes 3 times to get it right I'm only half as mad.
amvince is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvince View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Do you have a picture of the Madstad from the other side so I can see the mounting system. Bill posted one but it has a homemade bracket so I am not sure what it looks like stock. I am a little anal retentive about looks but from the front it doesn't look bad. Bill thanks for the pictures also.



Mike sounds like that may be a good plan. What is height of the VStream?
My pleasure. I have a bunch of pics of the rider's side, in a sub-gallery I have of my Heli-Bar installation. Take a look at the last few pics in that gallery, starting here -- Victory XCT HeliBars Installation -- and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT (SOLD) : HeliBars; Centramatics; PC-V; Lloydz air filter; 11" Madstad; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown plate; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
arkiebiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Searcy, AR
Posts: 1,228
Default

Get a CeeBailey's Windshield and be done with it. You can have it custom sized to any height and they are HIGH QUALITY shields.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
******************************************
Searcy, AR
Blytheville, AR (Hometown and the BEST BBQ Sandwiches in the world)
************************************************** ******
Arkansas Bikers Website
http://www.arkansasbiker.net
Garmin Zumo GPS Forums
http://www.zumoforums.com
arkiebiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome