Around Nov 2015 my philosophy for solving my XC buffeting issues evolved from the traditional thought of more vertical surface area at the forks to deflect airflow to less, decreasing drag, then affecting pressure more horizontally, or with the flow, in key spots to control the eye jiggling. The center fork deflector, tank wings, and my preference for mid-size fork deflectors are some results of this philosophy. The XC fairing is quite different, aerodynamically, than any other fairing, ever. It's a blessing and a curse. It's awesome in that it focuses the airflow energy to a narrower region vs other fairings, making the upper half more aerodynamically efficient. The trade-off, though, is that this energy is focused at the bottom and generates significantly more helmet buffeting vs other fairings. A ton of research must have went into the hard lowers to help remedy this effect.
Been designing the fork deflectors for about a year. Work on it when I get time. Here are some of the other designs I've played with.
One deflector project was to see if the side-effects of fork deflectors could be minimized. Fork deflectors typically generate about as much turbulence as they do buffeting improvement. The key has been to get as much of that turbulence past the bubble of air the rider sits in. That deflector project resulted what I call the Pressure Pocket deflectors. There are currently 3 sets of these in beta testing since early November. Here's pics of two of them.
They reduce top-edge turbulence by reducing pressure before it reaches the top. Diverts some pressure downward, some outward, remainder flows across the top edge. As air molecules compress in the Pocket, they begin to build a pressure ramp for top flow. Sort of using pressure for benefit. Faster you go the better they work. Now, this is about 80% confirmed, remaining 20% theory and a little educated guessing. If you're thinking this is simply overkill for fork deflectors, I certainly won't disagree.
I do like how they perform and the knowledge gained in the R&D of these is priceless.
Here's an example of how most of these designs install. This vid is from when I was experimenting with a single elevator bolt for retention. Design has since evolved. The ones with the lights and tested during the Mardi Gras trip, are like most past designs in that they use no mounting hardware. Excuse the vid quality. It's a compressed snippet of a previously compressed video---- https://youtu.be/vqAF2SFyPoU