Squeaky wheels - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Motorbikerx
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
geekydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 84
Garage
Default Squeaky wheels

I've lived through the odd noises coming from my misaligned / mistightened belt, and finally got that worked out and adjusted perfectly (I double-checked it).

My regular routine after my daily commute home is to ride straight in, and do 2-3 Y turns to turn the bike around so it'll be pointed the right way when I leave in the mornings (narrow carport).

Recently, I've noticed that during the Y turn-around, there are definite squeaks occurring, both forward and backward. My wife even enjoys mocking the sounds. These are definitely NOT the same sounds I had with the belt issues.

90% of the miles on the bike are from very smooth, non-curved roads. The other 10% are from an annual trip to the Smokies.

With almost 44,000 miles on it, I have not had anything greased, like wheel bearings, swingarm, etc.

Any suggestions on the best way to diagnose? It doesn't make the noises until it's been ridden awhile.

Thanks!

2013 XCT Sunset Red, Tri-oval Stage 1 Exhaust, Lloydz ATS (+4), Lloyds High-flow Air Filter, Lloydz VFC III, Kicker Speakers, Electric Reverse Kit, Ultimate Seat w/Backrest, Passenger Armrest, Madstad Road Glide, Ness Beveled Gas Cap/Derby/Cam, FOBO TPMS,Centramatics Martinez, GA
geekydad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekydad View Post
I've lived through the odd noises coming from my misaligned / mistightened belt, and finally got that worked out and adjusted perfectly (I double-checked it).

My regular routine after my daily commute home is to ride straight in, and do 2-3 Y turns to turn the bike around so it'll be pointed the right way when I leave in the mornings (narrow carport).

Recently, I've noticed that during the Y turn-around, there are definite squeaks occurring, both forward and backward. My wife even enjoys mocking the sounds. These are definitely NOT the same sounds I had with the belt issues.

90% of the miles on the bike are from very smooth, non-curved roads. The other 10% are from an annual trip to the Smokies.

With almost 44,000 miles on it, I have not had anything greased, like wheel bearings, swingarm, etc.

Any suggestions on the best way to diagnose? It doesn't make the noises until it's been ridden awhile.

Thanks!
Some have found that their rear shock link rod ends get squeaky. Some have found it is the rear shock itself. Some have found it is the rear shock pin working in the frame. At 44,000 your overdue to lube or have lubed the rear shock rocker. You might find something while doing that.
Does it squeak when you take your weight on an off the seat? It's one possibility.

presently owned bikes
2014 XC 8 ball that no longer stalls
1993 HD fxrp
1982 HD Sturgis
2009 Honda rebel
co owner
1991 gl1500 A w/ Champion Daytona 2+2 sidecar.
"God works both good and evil in a mans' life and you deal with it as best you can" Somebody..

Last edited by Joe_; 08-25-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Joe_ is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
WeekendRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 261
Default

Maintenance from the manual...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from 2013 XC_Manual.pdf (18.5 KB, 14 views)

2013 XC Suede Nuclear Sunset
21" Conversion incl. ABS Module, Rear Shock and Forks
Lowered...a lot
RCX Slip-ons
Lloydz HPT Cams
Lloydz Air Filter
Lloydz Timing Gear +4
PCV
31 Tooth Drive Pulley
Southern Motorworx Tune: 118.08 HP - 114.97 Torque (before 31 tooth drive pulley)
WeekendRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
geekydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 84
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
Some have found that their rear shock link rod ends get squeaky. Some have found it is the rear shock itself. Some have found it is the rear shock pin working in the frame. At 44,000 your overdue to lube or have lubed the rear shock rocker. You might find something while doing that.
Does it squeak when you take your weight on an off the seat? It's one possibility.
Thanks Joe. I actually had the shock replaced a couple of years ago due to it starting to leak (thank goodness under warranty). It doesn't make any noise getting on and off, or bouncing on the seat, but probably worth getting the rocker lubed.

Thanks again!

2013 XCT Sunset Red, Tri-oval Stage 1 Exhaust, Lloydz ATS (+4), Lloyds High-flow Air Filter, Lloydz VFC III, Kicker Speakers, Electric Reverse Kit, Ultimate Seat w/Backrest, Passenger Armrest, Madstad Road Glide, Ness Beveled Gas Cap/Derby/Cam, FOBO TPMS,Centramatics Martinez, GA
geekydad is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
geekydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 84
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRider View Post
Maintenance from the manual...
Appreciate the docs. Have that manual and looked at it. Pretty much do /have done everything except the sidestand and axle. Adding those to my list.

Thanks!

2013 XCT Sunset Red, Tri-oval Stage 1 Exhaust, Lloydz ATS (+4), Lloyds High-flow Air Filter, Lloydz VFC III, Kicker Speakers, Electric Reverse Kit, Ultimate Seat w/Backrest, Passenger Armrest, Madstad Road Glide, Ness Beveled Gas Cap/Derby/Cam, FOBO TPMS,Centramatics Martinez, GA
geekydad is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Motorbikerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 8,647
Garage
Default

My Vegas makes a few small noises push turning it around in the shed.
I don't worry about it, I just fire it up and ride it.
Not advocating you dismiss it like that but I don't get too concerned over little squeaks.
Get the bike up off the wheels and spin em, check it out a little if you're concerned. Rock the wheels off there axis xheck for play and such.
My bike makes a cracking noise the instant I touch it in the morning only a tiny sound.
I think it's excited and knows it's going for another ride!
geekydad likes this.

Victory Vegas 2010
Lloydz 109"cube big bore
" " 495 cams
" " TorqueTubes
" " timing wheel @4 deg.
" " Primary plate
" " IAV
RPW Slash pipes
PCV
Progressive 465 rear shock
Kingpin USD Forks
18" XC front wheel
1 3/4" 'Burleigh Bars'
Stebel air horn
12.106 @110.90mph
114/123

Victory Cross Country 2010 (106)
Lloyds air filter
" " VM1 Cams
Home gutted exhaust
Maximus
Both tuned by [email protected] Dyno
110/116

Gold Coast
Australia
Motorbikerx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome