Hi fellas, thanks for the help. Once I had the "Doh!" moment and remembered that grease nipples often get called zerc (k?) fittings on the other side of the Pacific, I found a couple of relevant threads that you both had contributed to, with great photos, so now its done.
It actually wasn't the needle rollers squeaking this time, but the spherical joint on top of the shock, but while it was all apart..........
I went for the nipple in the rocker; I was initially thinking of the shaft end so pulled out a good centre punch and a 20 oz ballpeen hammer. One slight scuff in the pin and a mashed punch tip. I must have one of the hard ones. You could do it, but would need more gear than I have, might be best done in a lathe to get the drill speed right down.
The marks from the needle rollers can't be felt on the shaft surface, so not too much wear yet, 103,000 kms.
I also must have one of the tight tolerance frames, because it is very difficult to extract the rocker shaft. Lubricate liberally with penetrating oil, grip with vicegrips, rotate and attempt to pry the grips back without popping them off the shaft. Generally takes me about half an hour to extract each time I have done it. I assemble it with a nickel based antisieze too.
That was one of the reasons I wanted the nipple in the end of the shaft, so I had a nice 6mm hole to put an extractor in.
I lost about 15 ml of oil from the shock, didn't screw the valve back in immediately after deflating it, but it still seems to function fine. Won't make that mistake again.
I also thought of putting the nipple in the top of the rocker, and drilling a small access hole down through the frame, somebody on one of the threads said Visions have a hole there, but there is a rib on the underneath of the frame right there that I figure must be there for a purpose.
Thanks again fella's, problem solved, also had some interesting and varied reading in the threads.
It was 34 degrees C here yesterday, about 94 F, so I worked outside the shed in the shade. Happy New Year.
2013 Hard Ball
Stage 1 mufflers
K&N air filter
Rubber air dam removed
Whole lot of extra cable ties, shrinkwrap and tape on loom
Hard chrome spherical joints in back
Hammer front guard
Wide Glide fork boots