Rough start to the season... literally
so this just hasn't been my year to get my 2011 XRoads out riding. Started off in a New England April with a 21 days of rain, a mouse nest in the air intake, a destroyed throttle body due to him storing all sorts of goodies and piss in there, a dead battery, and after screwing up the TB seals, it's finally back together. Now yes, i probably shouldn't have let it sit in the garage for 7 months, but a newborn will definately consume some time.
Anyway, here's my new discovery. Upon start-up i was getting a code that the cylinders were running lean. it would idle, pop, stall out, etc. I read around and found that if you unplug the O2 sensors, no more lean engine codes. Voila! Success No CEL! However, here's the new fun part, it'll idle for about 30 seconds to a minute on start up now before just dying out. I thought hmmmm, maybe bad gas? Took it out for a ride to run the tank down, filled up with 93, got it onto the highway and still the same. Here's the notes:
- Idles for 30 seconds, and stalls on start up
- open the throttle a little to about 1800 rpm, stays running but every so often you get a skip or a pop from the exhaust
- when riding, you get the same symptoms except:
- acceleration is pretty normal
- on decel it sounds like you're tearing up the neighborhood with a machine gun (back fires like crazy)
- if you pull in the clutch and let off the accelerator you chance the bike stalling out which it almost always does.
I've checked everything to make sure it's plugged in correctly from assembly, even tried to plug one of the O2 sensors in to see if i got an engine code which i didn't. Tried Fuel system cleaner, ran it about 15 miles, still nothing. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the shop just due to what they charge on diagnosis alone. Any insight would be great!