Thanks to Cee Baileys Head Buffeting is Gone! - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
XKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 264
Default Thanks to Cee Baileys Head Buffeting is Gone!

After some trial and error I am happy to report that I have resolved the head buffeting issue I was experiencing on my XR thanks to Cee Baileys. I installed Cee Baileys 23" windshield with the built in lowers and that combined with my Arlen Ness fork mounted lowers has completely resolved any head buffeting. I took the bike out on the highway over the last couple days at speeds up to 90 mph and had none of the head buffeting that I experienced previously with the Victory mid height windshield. Now I'm ready for my extended weekend trip to the Ozarks.

I believe that the Victory windshield has a flawed design in that the lower part of the shield has a cutout which allows bad air to shoot up from the forks past the tank and up to the riders head. Cee Baileys shield with the built in lowers removes that cutout completely and allows a calm pocket of air between the forks, tank and rider. It's a great design and the quality is top notch. I had a horrible experience with another windshield vendor and was very happy to find that Cee Baileys provides a quality product as advertised.

XKnight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
TNXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 2,279
Default

It may improve the buffeting but IMO all windshields are ugly and the CB one is even worse. I just got back from a 2 day 500 mile quick trip down to Deals Gap with a lot of interstate doing 80mph on average and did just fine with my short Vic windshield (I am 6' tall). I have more of a noise problem then a buffeting problem with my full face helmet that forced me to wear ear plugs for most of the trip.

2011 Cross Roads Sunset Red
OEM short windshield, passenger backrest, crash bars, saddle bag bars, heated grips, vinyl closeouts, tachometer, ambient temp, LED headlight, luggage rack. WD lay down licence plate.
TNXR is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
After some trial and error I am happy to report that I have resolved the head buffeting issue
Thanks for the report.

I prefer to look over windshields than thru them, but I've come to the conclusion that Irv's had it right all along...just find the biggest barn door that will bolt on and be done with it.

I see that Cee Bailey sells some "Rain-X" type product for their plastic shields, so I'm assuming that with proper attention, getting caught in the rain won't become a blinding experience.

You want to talk ugly, my current windscreen looks like the bride of Frankenstein. I've cut holes on it, changed the angle, glued soap dishes to it, and finally added a Laminar Lip designed for a Kingpin (but fits well enough to the XR) on mine. Mine actually works pretty well now, though oddly it works better at 70+ mph than it does at 50-60 mph.

I'll probably keep my monstrosity for the summer months, but my next move will either be to get the Vic or the Cee Bailey tall screen for the cooler months.




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads

Last edited by saddlebag; 06-16-2013 at 07:23 AM.
saddlebag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:18 AM
irv
Senior Member
 
irv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: mt morris il
Posts: 1,071
Default

im glad we are all finding ways to be more comfotable on the road.
i also wear a 3/4 helmet all the time. even with a 1-1/2 lower height
on the newest one, the air still goes over the top of it. someday
i might have to try some partial closeouts on the bars, but its
pretty much of a non issue.
as a little off topic what are the 2 tapped holes on the inside of
the forged bars for?--irv

2011 cross roads, crimson red, speedo reflash,
forged bars,bag bars,tach,driver and pass backrest[vic]
vic luggage rack and lowers,iso grips,2" pullbacks
hard bags,xc adj pass footrests, color keyed side
chin fairings. 7 jurock custom made windshield.
ultimate seat, hid low beams, timing wheel back in,
and of course, a ric z laydown license bracket.[5
mph faster].
irv is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
XKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNXR View Post
It may improve the buffeting but IMO all windshields are ugly and the CB one is even worse. I just got back from a 2 day 500 mile quick trip down to Deals Gap with a lot of interstate doing 80mph on average and did just fine with my short Vic windshield (I am 6' tall). I have more of a noise problem then a buffeting problem with my full face helmet that forced me to wear ear plugs for most of the trip.
I'm more about function than form when it comes to windshields. If your short shield works for you that's great. Unfortunately, the mid rider shield wasn't going to cut it for me on long hauls. I have a 1000+ mile trip planned and needed to be comfortable on the highway and this barn door shield does the trick. I keep it of anyway when I'm just cruising around town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Thanks for the report.

I prefer to look over windshields than thru them, but I've come to the conclusion that Irv's had it right all along...just find the biggest barn door that will bolt on and be done with it.

I see that Cee Bailey sells some "Rain-X" type product for their plastic shields, so I'm assuming that with proper attention, getting caught in the rain won't become a blinding experience.

You want to talk ugly, my current windscreen looks like the bride of Frankenstein. I've cut holes on it, changed the angle, glued soap dishes to it, and finally added a Laminar Lip designed for a Kingpin (but fits well enough to the XR) on mine. Mine actually works pretty well now, though oddly it works better at 70+ mph than it does at 50-60 mph.

I'll probably keep my monstrosity for the summer months, but my next move will either be to get the Vic or the Cee Bailey tall screen for the cooler months.
Yup, the barn door concept seems to work well. I find that looking through the shield works better for me as far as head buffeting goes. If I sit completely upright I can still see just above this shield if needed. I'm not one for soldiering on during a heavy downpour anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
im glad we are all finding ways to be more comfotable on the road.
i also wear a 3/4 helmet all the time. even with a 1-1/2 lower height
on the newest one, the air still goes over the top of it. someday
i might have to try some partial closeouts on the bars, but its
pretty much of a non issue.
as a little off topic what are the 2 tapped holes on the inside of
the forged bars for?--irv
Which forged bars are you referring to? The pic I posted above from Cee Baileys shows tubular bars with a standard Vic replacement shield that also has the fork mounted lowers added. The second shield pictured is the one I got with the built in lowers.
XKnight is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Luciferiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Twin Falls, ID
Posts: 1,292
Garage
Default

so, you just order the plexi from them and mount it using the hardware on your factory windshield? Cuz i'd be down with that. Seems like you end up paying an awful lot for the chrome on a windshield kit.

You can call me Billy. Or Luci. But don't call me Shirley.

Mine:
2011 Cross Roads, crimson red
Lloyd'z ATS, IAV, VFC-III. Vic "High Performance" air filter. Ness Big Honkers. Funsies.

Hers
2015 Vegas 8-Ball

My musings:www.billyrulez.wordpress.com
Luciferiad is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
XKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiad View Post
so, you just order the plexi from them and mount it using the hardware on your factory windshield? Cuz i'd be down with that. Seems like you end up paying an awful lot for the chrome on a windshield kit.
Yup, they just provide the replacement windshield and you mount it on your stock Victory hardware. Everything lined up perfectly.
XKnight is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
bnhender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Navasota, TX
Posts: 193
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
Yup, they just provide the replacement windshield and you mount it on your stock Victory hardware. Everything lined up perfectly.
I agree. I have a Cee Bailey with extended lowers. Cost was excellent, install was very easy as everything lined up perfectly.

___________________________________
Bill
2012 Cross Roads (Sunset Red)
Stage 1 flash
Lloydz Air Filter
Lloydz Idle Control Valve
Lloydz Adjustable Timing Wheel
Freedom Performance True-Dual Exhaust
VM1-DR cams
O2 Sensors disconnected
PCV
21" Adrenaline Front Wheel
Cee Bailey 24" windscreen w/ lowers
Tachometer
Small Bullet Light Bar
LED Headlight
Grasshopper driver backrest
Victory passenger backrest
Chrome saddlebag rails

2017 Octane
Shorty pipes

Navasota, TX
bnhender is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
TNXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 2,279
Default

Have any of you all tried running a shorter windshield to see if it helps. I would love to take a spin on a XR with the bigger shield and/or lowers to see how better the ride would be but I am thinking that maybe my shorty windshield may be cutting some of the buffeting air thus reducing it but who knows. My short vic shield hits me at chin level and the air coming over it hits me right above the forehead at the top of my helmet. This works alright for me but the better half did not like the wind doing 80 down the interstate for 3 hours the other day so I may look into getting a taller shield with lowers from CB and try it out even though I dislike the looks of them. Just switch them out for any extended trips down the superslab.

2011 Cross Roads Sunset Red
OEM short windshield, passenger backrest, crash bars, saddle bag bars, heated grips, vinyl closeouts, tachometer, ambient temp, LED headlight, luggage rack. WD lay down licence plate.
TNXR is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNXR View Post
Have any of you all tried running a shorter windshield to see if it helps. I would love to take a spin on a XR with the bigger shield and/or lowers to see how better the ride would be but I am thinking that maybe my shorty windshield may be cutting some of the buffeting air thus reducing it but who knows.
I think your probably correct. A lot of the air that causes all the head shaking emanates from below the tank. In a reasonably still pocket this air tries to shake the grey matter out your ears. With the smaller screen, you likely neutralize it to some extent by pushing it back with wind coming over the top of the screen.

As you've stated, the problem with the short screen is noise. I have an FJR with an electrically adjustable windscreen. In its lowest position, the noise drives me absolutely nuts. Good modern helmets are designed to be very aerodynamic and quiet in a laminar flow environment that is created while riding in the absence windscreen. Create some funny trajectory of the wind with a shield of some type and all bets are off.

Yannow it's just one of them things. If a person had never experienced anything better, they'd prolly get used to a shitty screen or no screen soon enough. It's the "knowing" of how good it could and should work that drives me bananas. Especially since I haven't been able to resolve it satisfactorily.




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome