Dunlop Disappointment - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Garage
Default Dunlop Disappointment

Took my 2012 CCT for routine maintenance today (9450 miles) as I was planning a trip through VA, TN, and NC next week. I live in northeastern MD and predominantly ride in southeast PA. The mechanic tells me I should come into the garage area and look at my rear tire because it is severely cupping. He suggests one issue may be the manner in which PA crowns their roadways at the centerline in order to manage water run-off. He tells me there is no way the bike would pass a PA safety inspection if it were tagged there.

First of all, I've never heard of tires cupping before. I thought cupping was a problem limited to new hardwood floors or firearm cartridge primers. Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing feedback from anyone with a similar experience. My tire was 4lbs low today (36lbs instead of the recommended 40lbs). I almost always ride 2 up (98% of the time). If I ever felt this problem while operating, I'm sure I attributed it to the road surface and I've read forum comments where riders stated Dunlop E3s are noisy in curves and my tires were noisy. Any constructive feedback or comments would be appreciated. I'm contemplating contacting Dunlop AND Victory. The pics below are taken from different points on tire. I replaced the tire with another Dunlop E3 until I can do further research.












2012 Cross Country Tour (Sunset Red)
June 2012 - Blue Ridge Parkway; Skyline Drive; The Diamondback (NC Rt. 226A); The Devil's Staircase (NC Rt. 80); Grandfather Mountain, NC
August 2013 - Tail of the Dragon; Cherohala Skyway; VA Rt. 211 (Luray)
sako204 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Tims_04V92TC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chesapeake Va
Posts: 1,499
Garage
Default

How's the pressure in your shock holding? No constant loss or anything and how does the suspension feel 2up? The shock is not spongy is it? Last thing I would wonder is balance...

2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline  
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
wesdalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 679
Default

That is about the same mileage I got on my dunflops. Mine didn't cup, they were just about bald at 10k miles. Metzlers are worse, I now have 12k on bridgestones and I will probably get another 1500 miles before another one goes on.

2010 X C
wesdalton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
How's the pressure in your shock holding? No constant loss or anything and how does the suspension feel 2up? The shock is not spongy is it? Last thing I would wonder is balance...
The shock definitely has a slow bleed-off. I'll measure it tomorrow and have a better idea of how much pressure I'm losing over a given time period. I know exactly when I inflated it last and the pressure I inflated it to. It's not spongy. I've always believed the suspension was excellent on this bike. It manages the bumps very well. I believe the saddlebag balance is very good; nothing loaded there which would cause me to rethink load balance. Saddlebags are usually hauling clothing and appear balanced. I have never noticed any handling issues.

2012 Cross Country Tour (Sunset Red)
June 2012 - Blue Ridge Parkway; Skyline Drive; The Diamondback (NC Rt. 226A); The Devil's Staircase (NC Rt. 80); Grandfather Mountain, NC
August 2013 - Tail of the Dragon; Cherohala Skyway; VA Rt. 211 (Luray)
sako204 is offline  
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdalton View Post
That is about the same mileage I got on my dunflops. Mine didn't cup, they were just about bald at 10k miles. Metzlers are worse, I now have 12k on bridgestones and I will probably get another 1500 miles before another one goes on.
I'll put Bridgestones on my list for consideration next time. I expected 12-14K out of the Dunlops and, boy, was I disappointed.

2012 Cross Country Tour (Sunset Red)
June 2012 - Blue Ridge Parkway; Skyline Drive; The Diamondback (NC Rt. 226A); The Devil's Staircase (NC Rt. 80); Grandfather Mountain, NC
August 2013 - Tail of the Dragon; Cherohala Skyway; VA Rt. 211 (Luray)
sako204 is offline  
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern WEST Virginia
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako204 View Post
Took my 2012 CCT for routine maintenance today (9450 miles) as I was planning a trip through VA, TN, and NC next week. I live in northeastern MD and predominantly ride in southeast PA. The mechanic tells me I should come into the garage area and look at my rear tire because it is severely cupping. He suggests one issue may be the manner in which PA crowns their roadways at the centerline in order to manage water run-off. He tells me there is no way the bike would pass a PA safety inspection if it were tagged there.

First of all, I've never heard of tires cupping before. I thought cupping was a problem limited to new hardwood floors or firearm cartridge primers. Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing feedback from anyone with a similar experience. My tire was 4lbs low today (36lbs instead of the recommended 40lbs). I almost always ride 2 up (98% of the time). If I ever felt this problem while operating, I'm sure I attributed it to the road surface and I've read forum comments where riders stated Dunlop E3s are noisy in curves and my tires were noisy. Any constructive feedback or comments would be appreciated. I'm contemplating contacting Dunlop AND Victory. The pics below are taken from different points on tire. I replaced the tire with another Dunlop E3 until I can do further research.
I am aware of two reasons tires cup. Low tire inflation over time or improper or inadequate suspension damping (a shock failure was the cause of the one rear that was ruined prematurely.) I certainly don't believe the road makes a difference.

The stock front tire on my 13 XCT is already beginning to whine a little.
Rear seems good and now that it has been brought up I'll have to inspect them.

Regards,
Mark


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Famscoot; 06-28-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Famscoot is offline  
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Azdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 1,331
Default

Personally I find Dunlops to be middle of the road. I like Metzs. Better grip and handling. Sometimes mileage does not equate to the best tire. As soon as I need replacement these stock Dunlops are gone

Blame it on me
2014 HD Street Glide
2013 Vision Sunset Red
2006 Jackpot sold
2006 Vrod Screaming Eagle (sold)
1972 Kawasaki 1000
Azdave is offline  
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famscoot View Post
I am aware of two reasons tires cup. Low tire inflation over time or improper or inadequate suspension damping (a shock failure was the cause of the one rear that was ruined prematurely.) I certainly don't believe the road makes a difference.

The stock front tire on my 13 XCT is already beginning to whine a little.
Rear seems good and now that it has been brought up I'll have to inspect them.

Regards,
Mark
Thanks for that info. That's certainly more than I knew 5 minutes ago. I suppose I'm guilty of both; not watching tire or shock pressure closely enough.

2012 Cross Country Tour (Sunset Red)
June 2012 - Blue Ridge Parkway; Skyline Drive; The Diamondback (NC Rt. 226A); The Devil's Staircase (NC Rt. 80); Grandfather Mountain, NC
August 2013 - Tail of the Dragon; Cherohala Skyway; VA Rt. 211 (Luray)
sako204 is offline  
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azdave View Post
Personally I find Dunlops to be middle of the road. I like Metzs. Better grip and handling. Sometimes mileage does not equate to the best tire. As soon as I need replacement these stock Dunlops are gone
I'm beginning to wonder if Dunlops are even middle of the road. I had a set on a 4WD Toyota pick-up once and they were the worst tire in the rain. Couldn't keep that truck on the road after a shower.

2012 Cross Country Tour (Sunset Red)
June 2012 - Blue Ridge Parkway; Skyline Drive; The Diamondback (NC Rt. 226A); The Devil's Staircase (NC Rt. 80); Grandfather Mountain, NC
August 2013 - Tail of the Dragon; Cherohala Skyway; VA Rt. 211 (Luray)
sako204 is offline  
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Azdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 1,331
Default

No tire should look like that

Blame it on me
2014 HD Street Glide
2013 Vision Sunset Red
2006 Jackpot sold
2006 Vrod Screaming Eagle (sold)
1972 Kawasaki 1000
Azdave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome