Headlight Adjustment - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 573
Default Headlight Adjustment

For those of you who ride at night.

I seem to have a problem getting the hi and low beams adjusted on my XC, they seem to be interconnected. If I get the low beam right, hi is too high. If I adjust to the hi beam, low is too low.

Can't seem to adjust them independantly

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thx, greg

Multiple Bike Disorder:crzy:
2011 Cross Country:D
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
2007 Harley Dyna
1976 BMW R75/5
1971 BSA Lightning
1947 Harley 45
gregbenner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,946
Default

If you read your book I believe it tells you 25 feet from a wall and mark a spot that is the same height as the center of your head light.
Now the "high" beam should "just" hit the top of your mark.
The low beam will take care of it self.
They say you should be sitting on the bike.
visionjohnny is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
If you read your book I believe it tells you 25 feet from a wall and mark a spot that is the same height as the center of your head light.
Now the "high" beam should "just" hit the top of your mark.
The low beam will take care of it self.
They say you should be sitting on the bike.
VJ, this is precisely what I did. The problem is that when I adjust the high beam as per the book, the low beam is waaay too low. Not really that evident unless you ride at night where it is really dark.

When I raise the low beam so that it works at all, the high beam is too high, again, only a problem at night

Doesn't seem to be a fix?

Multiple Bike Disorder:crzy:
2011 Cross Country:D
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
2007 Harley Dyna
1976 BMW R75/5
1971 BSA Lightning
1947 Harley 45
gregbenner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
wesdalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 679
Default

I would adjust it so the low beam was where you want it. When you switch to high beam, the low beam is still on so you have all of the field of vision of the low beam plus the addition of the high to reach out a greater distance. On my old bike, when you switched the bike to high beam the low beam light turned off. I don't see the problem you are having.
wesdalton is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdalton View Post
I would adjust it so the low beam was where you want it. When you switch to high beam, the low beam is still on so you have all of the field of vision of the low beam plus the addition of the high to reach out a greater distance. On my old bike, when you switched the bike to high beam the low beam light turned off. I don't see the problem you are having.

I do have the low beams adjusted. The problem is that on a dark road at night, the high beam does not illuminate the road at all....just the sky. In other words, it is of absolutely no benefit . The low beam isn't bright enough at speed, say 55-60 mph. so I need a high beam.

Most of my other bikes have a high beam that actually illiminates the road, along with a low beam that also works. The problem is that they seem to be interconnected, i.e. i can't adjust them independently.

I think I will adjust the high beam to factory specs, perhaps a slight bit lower, and then leave it on all the time. Kind of a tough alternative, but???

I can't tell from the limited replies if noone else actually has this issue, or, if most just don't ride in the country at night. I will probably take the bike back to the dealer and ask for a fix, based on safety. Not sure what he can do though

Multiple Bike Disorder:crzy:
2011 Cross Country:D
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
2007 Harley Dyna
1976 BMW R75/5
1971 BSA Lightning
1947 Harley 45

Last edited by gregbenner; 01-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.
gregbenner is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
wesdalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
I do have the low beams adjusted. The problem is that on a dark country road at night, the high beam does not illuminate the road at all....just the sky. In other words, it is of absolutely no benefit. The low beam isn't bright enough at speed, say 55-60 mph.

Most of my other bikes have a high beam that actually illinates the road.

I think I will adjust the high beam to factory specs, perhaps a slight bit lower, and then leave it on all the time. Kind of a tough alternative, but???

I can't tell from the limited replies if noone else actually has the issue, or, if most just don't ride in the country at night. I will probably take the bike back to the dealer and ask for a fix, based on safetey. Not sure what he can do though
I am also confused. I ride my bike all the time at night. I don't seem to have that problem at all. I had to replace the low beam bulb while on a trip last fall. It went out about 100 miles from my destination (Albuquerque NM at midnight.) I had to ride until my destination on the high beam only. Other than pissing off the people in front of me I didn't have any problem seeing the road. I only use the high beam when I am on the open road with no one in view. I would pull the ring off the headlight and pull both of the bulbs where they mount into the headlight and look for something that is not letting the bulb seat in the exact spot. I would think that a few thousands of material that didn't let the bulb seat in the designed angle may make a significant difference in the field of light. I don't know, but it may be worth the time to check. Good Luck
wesdalton is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdalton View Post
I am also confused. I ride my bike all the time at night. I don't seem to have that problem at all. I had to replace the low beam bulb while on a trip last fall. It went out about 100 miles from my destination (Albuquerque NM at midnight.) I had to ride until my destination on the high beam only. Other than pissing off the people in front of me I didn't have any problem seeing the road. I only use the high beam when I am on the open road with no one in view. I would pull the ring off the headlight and pull both of the bulbs where they mount into the headlight and look for something that is not letting the bulb seat in the exact spot. I would think that a few thousands of material that didn't let the bulb seat in the designed angle may make a significant difference in the field of light. I don't know, but it may be worth the time to check. Good Luck

Wes, thx for the reply. Do you have a XC?

If others that ride at night aren't having an issue, I am more comfortable going back to the dealer.

Also, I will check the bulbs, didn't really think of that

Multiple Bike Disorder:crzy:
2011 Cross Country:D
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
2007 Harley Dyna
1976 BMW R75/5
1971 BSA Lightning
1947 Harley 45
gregbenner is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
wesdalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
Wes, thx for the reply. Do you have a XC?

If others that ride at night aren't having an issue, I am more comfortable going back to the dealer.

Also, I will check the bulbs, didn't really think of that
Yes, I have a 2010 XC and my only complaint is that winter sucks.
wesdalton is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdalton View Post
Yes, I have a 2010 XC and my only complaint is that winter sucks.
Do I dare ask where you live? It has been unseasonbly cold here in Socal, but was 71 today. Easy to forget how cold it gets elsewhere.

Multiple Bike Disorder:crzy:
2011 Cross Country:D
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
2007 Harley Dyna
1976 BMW R75/5
1971 BSA Lightning
1947 Harley 45
gregbenner is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
wesdalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 679
Default

Yes, I live in Utah. It hasn't got above freezing since December 22nd.
Last year I picked up my new XC on November 28th. By this time last year I had put 1500 miles on the bike. Oh well it will eventually get warmer. I rode the bike to the L.A. area twice last year it was great. I hope to ride that way in March weather permitting. I hope you get the light problem resolved.
wesdalton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome