Jerry "Motorman" Palladino (Ride Like a Pro) discusses XC - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 566
Default Jerry "Motorman" Palladino (Ride Like a Pro) discusses XC

Jagular is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
dirtdobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sand Mountain
Posts: 528
Garage
Default

When I go to the store, 3 miles away, I do a circle. The back way is 5 miles but has lots of curves, tight turns etc... So far the XC has out performed all my current bikes. My Goldwing comes in a close 2nd. In the slow hair pen tight turns and then accelerate the XC has it hands down. I have done some figure 8's and in line maneuvers with it and the XC's performance exceeds my expectations every time.
In fact the performance is starting to impress me now that I am getting some mileage on it. It is in the stock form as far as performance is concerned.

Yes it is a keeper

2011 Cross Country
If everything fails read the instructions
dirtdobber is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,766
Garage
Default

His "Ride Like A Pro" video is a must see for even the most experienced rider I think. Available for sale at his website or on the torrent sites.

One time while riding my Shovel through LA I was splitting lanes and a cop came up behind me so I scooted over to let him by. I'm pretty good at lane splitting and tried to keep up with that CHP officer but there was just no way I could do it. Those guys are the best riders on the road; bar none. Gutsy too.
BBob is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
His "Ride Like A Pro" video is a must see for even the most experienced rider I think. Available for sale at his website or on the torrent sites.

One time while riding my Shovel through LA I was splitting lanes and a cop came up behind me so I scooted over to let him by. I'm pretty good at lane splitting and tried to keep up with that CHP officer but there was just no way I could do it. Those guys are the best riders on the road; bar none. Gutsy too.
Indeed. But that's because they practice all the time. Most riders I know think they can ride already and they don't need to practice. I'm guilty too, as I never really make time for a parking lot scraping session.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
dirtdobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sand Mountain
Posts: 528
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Indeed. But that's because they practice all the time. Most riders I know think they can ride already and they don't need to practice. I'm guilty too, as I never really make time for a parking lot scraping session.
You hit the nail on the head.

I am the VFWR/ALR advanced riding instructor. The ones that has been riding a while can be a pita.
I have already started my practice for the XC. My grandson and I practice many times during the summer months. What has taken me some time getting use to is the advantage of the tight steering the XC has. Ya know it turns closer in. I haven't perfected the lock to lock yet. Slow sweeps, D, S, and 8's were rather easy to do.
Just practice, practice, practice.

I agree ride like a pro video is a must if ya want to improve your riding skills.

I show it 3 times a year at the meetings.

2011 Cross Country
If everything fails read the instructions
dirtdobber is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fulton, New York
Posts: 102
Default

Just bought the new Drive Like a Pro V online for I think it was $29. I am excited about trying this stuff out in a week or so when I hope to be riding again. Snow melting away finally here in Syracuse NY
jacktrash is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Member
 
noobiepin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 52
Default

I too bought the Ride like a Pro version V dvd. Bought cones from academy and went over to my wifes school to practice. Even the slow cone weave is difficult when riding a kingpin with open handlebars. The seat i have really puts you further back away from bars and you have to make an effort to sit up so you can go lock to lock and make these sharp turns. Im trying to figure out the brake suggestion though.

Is he constantly on the brake (lightly) during the entire manouver of does he lift off and the apply light brake while makeing the sharp turns??????

2005 Ness Kingpin...7344 miles
Purple Haze custom paint job (vicitory orig)
Ness chrome parts everywhere
RPW upswept exhaust
Kuryakyn mirrors
S&S air intake with stage 2 mapping
noobiepin is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiepin View Post
I too bought the Ride like a Pro version V dvd. Bought cones from academy and went over to my wifes school to practice. Even the slow cone weave is difficult when riding a kingpin with open handlebars. The seat i have really puts you further back away from bars and you have to make an effort to sit up so you can go lock to lock and make these sharp turns. Im trying to figure out the brake suggestion though.

Is he constantly on the brake (lightly) during the entire manouver of does he lift off and the apply light brake while makeing the sharp turns??????
Drag the rear brake at all times in the slow turns - do not touch the front brake - this is done to stabilize the bike. Try doing it in just slow, straight lines until you get used to it. Your 'pin should handle better than those heavy HDs he's demonstrating on. Just be patient, and practice will get you there.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Drag the rear brake at all times in the slow turns - do not touch the front brake - this is done to stabilize the bike. Try doing it in just slow, straight lines until you get used to it. Your 'pin should handle better than those heavy HDs he's demonstrating on. Just be patient, and practice will get you there.
I had the RLAP 2 and decided to get V last week. It arrived last Tuesday and I've been practicing friction braking quite a bit, driving my wife nuts I purchased 12 practice cones from Target yesterday and have scouted a couple of great parking lots. Time to start the cone work...
Jagular is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome